Hot Tub Accessories

biggz

We took back our wood burning heater this weekend and bought one of the propane ones. The smoke was too much. We also bought a big fence post and we are going to add legs and robe hooks and stain it the same color as our deck. Hopefully, this will be our last attempt at finding a suitable place to keep our towels and robes. We had a cold weekend and it was murder getting into and out of the tub in the cold. I'm a big sissy!

Hi Tiny, Your not a sissy, It's dang cold outside (at least where you are) so it has to be a task to exit the tub dripping wet. I don't know how our friends up North do it. :huh: Was the wood burning heater like a portable fireplace? I looked at them last year but didn't buy it. Did you buy a heater like "Mike P" described. The tall one's you know. :lol:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes biggz, it was open on all four sides and was really nice looking. We didn't get one of the tall heaters. We got a decorative one. It has faux rock sides and a slate looking top. You can stand around it or pull up chairs and use it as a table. The fire is in the middle. I'll get a pic of it when I can. It gives off alot of heat, even on low. I was worried about the tall ones because of the heat rising thing. I wish places would have them running for us to try out.

Yes biggz, it was open on all four sides and was really nice looking. We didn't get one of the tall heaters. We got a decorative one. It has faux rock sides and a slate looking top. You can stand around it or pull up chairs and use it as a table. The fire is in the middle. I'll get a pic of it when I can. It gives off alot of heat, even on low. I was worried about the tall ones because of the heat rising thing. I wish places would have them running for us to try out.

Tiny, that sounds very nice. Our yards are turning into hot tub paradise. I bought a very nice wicker basket yesterday. I'm using it to hold the chemicals and a plant stand. I also put up a privacy screen to help with wind. It works pretty good. It might even reduce the tub cooling down too fast. :D

I think it shows how much enjoyment we receive from our tubs. Next we are considering a big offset umbrella for rainy days. Has anyone else used one of these? Our spa is 7x7 and I'm wondering if an 8x8 would be large enough.

Tiny, I was briefly discussed on a thread byt Dr. Spa

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10143

I don't know how well those umbrellas work but there worth looking into. Just don't use it in high wind conditions. :lol:

I think it shows how much enjoyment we receive from our tubs. Next we are considering a big offset umbrella for rainy days. Has anyone else used one of these? Our spa is 7x7 and I'm wondering if an 8x8 would be large enough.

I looked at the offset umbrellas when I was buying patio furniture last year. Good quality ones are very expensive. Cheaper ones have a reputation for not holding up, and most of them will break in a slight breeze. However, I was also looking at 11' diameter umbrellas, so there might be some decent ones in the 8' diameter range.

I would look for a used one, or one on clearance somewhere so you don't have a lot of money invested in it. That will allow you to see if you like it.

It's dang cold outside (at least where you are) so it has to be a task to exit the tub dripping wet. I don't know how our friends up North do it.

It's not as bad as you'd think. Often used to get out, go roll in the snow, come and climb back in (okay, I was younger then, haven't done that for a couple of years!). Getting out, wrapping a towel around my shoulders, walking the few steps into the house is okay. For me, it's most uncomfortable on the feet.

Some great ideas in this thread! Most we ever do is put warm robes or towels in a cooler and cart it outside.

Rick, I haven't looked into umbrellas in depth yet. Just browsed online. It looked like they would be around $400. From your experience, is that a cheap one or a better quality one? I don't think I would want to invest more than that in one. I definately don't want it to snap in two. I'll make sure when I buy one that it's from a store with a good return policy. Maybe Costco, since they even take hot tubs back at any time. :)

Rick, I haven't looked into umbrellas in depth yet. Just browsed online. It looked like they would be around $400. From your experience, is that a cheap one or a better quality one? I don't think I would want to invest more than that in one. I definately don't want it to snap in two. I'll make sure when I buy one that it's from a store with a good return policy. Maybe Costco, since they even take hot tubs back at any time. :)

In the offest umbrellas, I think the cheap ones are around $200. $400 might be a decent one. However, when I was looking, I didn't look at the smaller umbrellas. I needed an 11' diameter umbrella for my patio, which upped the price a lot. The offset umbrella that my patio furniture dealer was recommending was over $1,100. So I bought an 11' regular umbrella instead.

This is the brand that I bought. http://www.treasuregarden.com/

However, my dealer didn't sell the treasure garden offset umbrellas (at least not in the 11' size) because he didn't feel that they held up over time. He had a different brand of offset umbrella for the large size, which was more expensive. I think treasure garden makes 9' and 10' offset umbrella's too.

You might want to look around at some of the patio furniture stores to learn about the features of various types of umbrellas. That will let you know what you like, and what you think will hold up. Shopping at Costco might be a good idea, especially if they will let you return the umbrella if it breaks. I would just stay away from the cheapo umbrellas that they sell at Home Depot, Lowe's, and Menards.

If you want to see some spendy umbrellas, look here.

http://www.patioumbrellas.com/offset-umbre...cfm?viewall=yes

They also have cheaper ones too. It might give you an idea of features to look for.

I don't know how these umbrellas break. I would guess that it's related to the opening and closing mechanism. Probably like any umbrella in a windstorm, they turn inside out and get shredded.

One note, some of the really expensive ones have features like tilt and swivel that you might not need. So if you keep it simple, you might be able to get something that will work well for you. After looking at some of the cheaper units on that website, I'm now debating if I want to get a patio umbrella just for my hot tub. When I was looking last summer, I was trying to find one that I could pivot to be over the hot tub, and then pivot to be over my patio set. That was part of the reason why the price was higher.

If you want to see some spendy umbrellas, look here.

http://www.patioumbrellas.com/offset-umbre...cfm?viewall=yes

They also have cheaper ones too. It might give you an idea of features to look for.

I don't know how these umbrellas break. I would guess that it's related to the opening and closing mechanism. Probably like any umbrella in a windstorm, they turn inside out and get shredded.

One note, some of the really expensive ones have features like tilt and swivel that you might not need. So if you keep it simple, you might be able to get something that will work well for you. After looking at some of the cheaper units on that website, I'm now debating if I want to get a patio umbrella just for my hot tub. When I was looking last summer, I was trying to find one that I could pivot to be over the hot tub, and then pivot to be over my patio set. That was part of the reason why the price was higher.

'RickJ' , This hot tub backyard thing gets to be pretty expensive. $1000 for an umbrella is really high. :o Can you change the cloth on them. I'm on the patio, but I can use an umbrella around the barbecue. I guess I'll be cooking in direct sunlight a little longer. :blink:

The umbrella that I bought has removable fabric, so it can be cleaned or changed. Same with my patio furniture. The slings are replaceable, so when they wear out I can put in new slings and make them look like new. Quality costs money up front, but it pays in longevity. And no, I don't sell patio furniture or umbrellas. But I'm the ***-retentive engineer type that has to thoroughly research all of my purchases. So I spent a lot of time comparing patio furniture and umbrellas.

I did not buy the $1000 offset umbrella. I couldn't justify that expense. But I did end up spending more than I originally wanted to buy my regular umbrella. But I know that it's going to last for years. But for around the barbecque, I think I'd buy the cheapy ones at Home Depot, and just plan on replacing them when they got dirty. Also, buy a dark color so it doesn't show too much dirt.

I agree with you about the expense of the hot tub thing. With the hot tub, the cover, the accessories, the paver walkway to the tub, and the new privacy fence, my "cheap hot tub" has cost me more than I ever thought I would spend on my back yard.

The umbrella that I bought has removable fabric, so it can be cleaned or changed. Same with my patio furniture. The slings are replaceable, so when they wear out I can put in new slings and make them look like new. Quality costs money up front, but it pays in longevity. And no, I don't sell patio furniture or umbrellas. But I'm the ***-retentive engineer type that has to thoroughly research all of my purchases. So I spent a lot of time comparing patio furniture and umbrellas.

I did not buy the $1000 offset umbrella. I couldn't justify that expense. But I did end up spending more than I originally wanted to buy my regular umbrella. But I know that it's going to last for years. But for around the barbecque, I think I'd buy the cheapy ones at Home Depot, and just plan on replacing them when they got dirty. Also, buy a dark color so it doesn't show too much dirt.

I agree with you about the expense of the hot tub thing. With the hot tub, the cover, the accessories, the paver walkway to the tub, and the new privacy fence, my "cheap hot tub" has cost me more than I ever thought I would spend on my back yard.

'RickJ', Now that does sound like it's worth it. If you can remove the cloth for cleaning or change the look completely, that's great. You say you didn't pay a grand for this. That's the link you provided earlier? :D

'RickJ', Now that does sound like it's worth it. If you can remove the cloth for cleaning or change the look completely, that's great. You say you didn't pay a grand for this. That's the link you provided earlier? :D

The link I provided was to a website that listed a bunch of umbrellas. That was just for reference.

I bought my umbrella from a local patio furniture store. I got the Treasure Garden 11' diameter twist tilt umbrella. Like this. http://www.treasuregarden.com/umbrellas/de..._11col_tlt.html

It cost around $400. (I can't remember exactly) Yes, that's a lot, and I resisted spending that money for a year. But I wanted something that looked good, and that would last. I hopefully won't have to buy another umbrella for 10-20 years.

for comparison, the cantilver umbrellas, like this

http://www.treasuregarden.com/umbrellas/detail_akz-11.html

Those cost around $800-$1,000 for an 11' diameter one (That was at Seasonal Concepts last summer)

But my dealer didn't like the Treasure Garden cantilver umbrellas. At least not the large, 11' diameter ones. He didn't have good luck with them holding up. And he said the local repair shop wouldn't work on them. So my dealer was recommending a different brand of cantilever umbrella (I can't remember the name) which cost over $1,100.

I hope that clears things up.

My advice, go to some patio furniture retailers to see what's available. Start with the best quality, and then work down until you find something you can live with.

The link I provided was to a website that listed a bunch of umbrellas. That was just for reference.

I bought my umbrella from a local patio furniture store. I got the Treasure Garden 11' diameter twist tilt umbrella. Like this. http://www.treasuregarden.com/umbrellas/de..._11col_tlt.html

It cost around $400. (I can't remember exactly) Yes, that's a lot, and I resisted spending that money for a year. But I wanted something that looked good, and that would last. I hopefully won't have to buy another umbrella for 10-20 years.

for comparison, the cantilver umbrellas, like this

http://www.treasuregarden.com/umbrellas/detail_akz-11.html

Those cost around $800-$1,000 for an 11' diameter one (That was at Seasonal Concepts last summer)

But my dealer didn't like the Treasure Garden cantilver umbrellas. At least not the large, 11' diameter ones. He didn't have good luck with them holding up. And he said the local repair shop wouldn't work on them. So my dealer was recommending a different brand of cantilever umbrella (I can't remember the name) which cost over $1,100.

I hope that clears things up.

My advice, go to some patio furniture retailers to see what's available. Start with the best quality, and then work down until you find something you can live with.

RickJ, Those are really nice umbrellas. I'll take your advise and look a little harder. Maybe ebay might have something more reasonable. I know I won't be able to check the quality, but I may be able to gain additional knowledge. Thanks RickJ :D

Rick, could you give a link to the propane heater you bought and tell us what you think so far. We used our gas firepit for the first timet his weekend and we loved it. It's really pretty too watch and it's sooooo warm. Now my hubby thinks we should look into one of the tower heaters to keep right by the spa with our towels and robes under it. Would love any input.

Rick, could you give a link to the propane heater you bought and tell us what you think so far. We used our gas firepit for the first timet his weekend and we loved it. It's really pretty too watch and it's sooooo warm. Now my hubby thinks we should look into one of the tower heaters to keep right by the spa with our towels and robes under it. Would love any input.

Well, ya got me on that one. I haven't used mine yet, so I can't give you any report. I bought a cheap, $99 heater that was one of Home Depot's door busters on the day after thanksgiving. I couldn't tell you about the quality or appearance of the thing. I've had a cold for the past week, and have been too lazy to assemble it. So I haven't used it.

I'll get it together this week, and let you know what I think.

Umbrellas? Ever look at retractable awnings? It might be a little more difficult to get an exact price without someone coming out to your property but you would probably be happier and it would last longer than one or two seasons.

Hot towels! Hmm you're already sitting in a source of heat... couldn't a spa manufacturer plumb in a towel heater into the existing water circuit... the majority of the year it could be bypassed but for winter, open a valve and hang your towels on the heated pipe/tubing inside a reasonably small cabinet? Or just make a cabinet for one of those oil based heated towel bar (electricity heats oil inside metal tubing) (hahha only $1,300),

OH YEAH Check this out SANTA! $59!

http://www.amazon.com/Plug-Heated-Towel-Po...s/dp/B000CB06KG

Martinis? half Mango juice, half ginger ale, half vodka = Vitamin A+ Vitamin C + Vitamin Alc

Retractable awnings are really nice. My spa isn't near my house, so that's out. I'd just like a little protection from gentle rains. Maybe we should invent something that vents all the steam rising off the spa into a container filled with towels.

That's not a martini, that's a foo foo mixed drink. Here's a real martini recipe 9/10 vodka, 1/10 olive juice. Cheers. ;)

Umbrellas? Ever look at retractable awnings? It might be a little more difficult to get an exact price without someone coming out to your property but you would probably be happier and it would last longer than one or two seasons.

Hot towels! Hmm you're already sitting in a source of heat... couldn't a spa manufacturer plumb in a towel heater into the existing water circuit... the majority of the year it could be bypassed but for winter, open a valve and hang your towels on the heated pipe/tubing inside a reasonably small cabinet? Or just make a cabinet for one of those oil based heated towel bar (electricity heats oil inside metal tubing) (hahha only $1,300),

OH YEAH Check this out SANTA! $59!

http://www.amazon.com/Plug-Heated-Towel-Po...s/dp/B000CB06KG

Martinis? half Mango juice, half ginger ale, half vodka = Vitamin A+ Vitamin C + Vitamin Alc

Maybe we should invent something that vents all the steam rising off the spa into a container filled with towels.

That's not a martini, that's a foo foo mixed drink. Here's a real martini recipe 9/10 vodka, 1/10 olive juice. Cheers. ;)

I looked at retractable awnings, but they were more expensive than an umbrella. So I didn't go that route. I don't have anything over my hot tub at all. My umbrella is just for the patio table.

As for towel warmers, Thermo Spas shows one as an accessory.

http://www.thermospas.com/accessories/additions.php

towel-warmer-lg.jpg

Looks like it incorporates BODarcs heated towel warmer along with some of that foil insulation. Probably wouldn't be too hard to build one yourself.

Emerald spa also lists one.

http://www.emeraldspa.com/features_and_opt...wel_warmer.html

Venting the steam from the hot tub into a warming area wouldn't be a good idea. You'd just end up with warm, damp towels. :P

Hi friends, I was tied up with Mrs Biggz yesterday. She traded in her 04 Hyundai Sonata for a 2008 promotion with 0% financing for 72 months. She bought the top of the line limited edition. Very nice car!! That company came a long way. 100,000 miles bumper/bumper. Free lifetime oil changes for the original owner. We drove it home. She's happy, so I'm happy.

You guys have been coming up with some unbelievable suggestions. ;) I see we are still looking for temporary cover for the tubs in the backyard. Has anyone thought of a portable gazebo? I know you wouldn't be able to look up to the stars, but it would offer some temporary shelter from the rain. :D What's your thoughts on this item. see link:

http://www.gazeboshowcase.com/