New To Site, And To Shopping

ivieisme

Hi, I'm new here, but everyone seems to discuss the same few models. I went shopping today. I live in South Florida and suffer from Lupus & fibromyalgia. The ones I have seen so far are: Hot Springs Envoy (2nd to last choice), leisure bay flores (last choice), The vita spa caberet (my favorite because it has cool mist feature), and a caldera Geneva spa. I have a thermospa appointment tomorrow. I have only dry tested so far. I really hate the idea of wet testing, but I guess it is a necessary evil.

I have a 10 year old and a 2 year old, so I like the ones that have a higher seat. I don't want a stereo or tv...I'll get outside speakers for my home theater. I also really want jets that focus on the top of my shoulders right where they meet my neck (above water jets?) My budget is around 7-8,000. I love any type of cooling feature, since I would like to be able to use it without heat in summer. I would also like room for my feet to do some type of in place water exercise, and for the kids to play.

Is there any one of these that I should avoid like the plague? I have heard a little negativity about vitaspa, but they manufacture in Miami, so those problems may not apply to me. I haven't found a local D1 or Sundance dealer. Any suggestions or advice??

Also, what does the average electrical conversion cost??? $500...$1000.....more???? Some spas have a big electrical box, some don't....so many questions, yet I want this before it gets too hot again to enjoy...I am an instant gratification type.

The ones I have seen so far are: Hot Springs Envoy (2nd to last choice), leisure bay flores (last choice), The vita spa caberet (my favorite because it has cool mist feature), and a caldera Geneva spa. I have a thermospa appointment tomorrow. I have only dry tested so far. I really hate the idea of wet testing, but I guess it is a necessary evil.

Is there any one of these that I should avoid like the plague? I have heard a little negativity about vitaspa, but they manufacture in Miami, so those problems may not apply to me. I haven't found a local D1 or Sundance dealer. Any suggestions or advice??

Since you put it that way, yes, I'd avoid Thermospa. I'd suggest you hide behind the door and pretend you're not home. :rolleyes:B) They are known to many to be high priced, not great quality, difficult to get warranty work and high pressure sales. They'll give you an outrageous starting price and then drop it 40% to a still way to high price. Then if you say no they'll come up with some story about someone canceling an order and you can get that one for an even lower price which is just a hook to get you yet all along they are still very high priced even with this so called special deal.

Also, what does the average electrical conversion cost??? $500...$1000.....more???? Some spas have a big electrical box, some don't....so many questions, yet I want this before it gets too hot again to enjoy...I am an instant gratification type.

There is no "average" price as it greatly depends on your setup, how long of a span, what labor is needed (is it buried, run through the attic, etc.), etc. Try to get at least 3 estimates if you don't know someone personally and ask the spa dealer for recommendations. Also, when shopping for the spa find out if the spa comes with the subpanel or if that is something you need to get through your electrician.

Thanks for that. I'm so not a hide behind the door type. I'll put up with the guy, and maybe get a little education. It did seem like they were selling a time share..."You and your husband must BOTH be there for 90 minutes!" I just found a Dimension 1 dealer around here too.....a little far, are they worth the drive?

I can't seem to find the "best spa" for the money.....any thoughts?

I have read many stories online about people that were ripped off my thermospa. I wouldn't let them in my home. I have no idea about their product, but their sales tactics are horrible. I have a few friends that owned leisure bay spas and none of them has been happy with their purchase. That is not to say that you couldn't be. Since you have medical problems, be sure to wet test each spa and spend a good amount of time in each spa. In your case, I would wet test on different days. Then you can compare how they affected your aches and pains. The best spa for the money is the one that you feel good in. In your situation, it is critical that you wet test a spa before buying.

Thanks for that. I'm so not a hide behind the door type. I'll put up with the guy, and maybe get a little education. It did seem like they were selling a time share..."You and your husband must BOTH be there for 90 minutes!" I just found a Dimension 1 dealer around here too.....a little far, are they worth the drive?

I can't seem to find the "best spa" for the money.....any thoughts?

D1 is a good brand as well as Hot springs and Caldera. As far as the distance, get in writing how long it would take to get out there for service and if there will be any travel charge for warranty service (yes, they CAN charge you for travel on warranty work, especially with distance involved). The question is will they charge you. Having a closer dealer is best but sometimes having a good dealer 40 miles away is better than having a bad dealer 4 miles away so you want to get a good spa, a fair price and get it from a reputable dealer.

I agree that Hot Springs and Caldera are good. I would definitely recommend you trying the D1 too. My wife and I just wet tested one last Friday. I also have neck issues and really liked their neck jets. They're adjustable and the water shoots right down on you from the headrest, which is also height adjustable.

Thank you all so much! After the Thermospa guy left (he was not hard sell at all) I did some research and found out a lot of bad stories, so they are out. While I haven't wet tested yet, the vita spa is the one I am really leaning toward. They seem to have the most jets where I want them for the money, cool misters, which I love, and the most local dealers (since the factory is only 45 minutes away). Hot Springs seemed to have a lack of jets, and Caldera was at Rec Warehouse who sells like used cars ("the price will go up tomorrow") and doesn't seem to be able to custom build one in my colors.

I am going to check out D1, and the Sundance dealer is WAY too far. Are there any other brands I should investigate?

I wet tested the D-1 today. I now see why everyone says WET TEST-WET TEST-WET TEST!!!!!! It was my first wet test, and I don't know if I have ever sat in a spa like that before (most spas I have been in were built in with less jets). I did not fall in love, like I expected to. I almost didn't trust myself to wet test because I thought I would not be able to leave without buying one, but that was not the case at all.

The jets were very powerful. The adjustable pillow jets splashed and squirted everywhere when I put them in the right spot, but worked OK when I lowered them beneath water level and scrunched down beneath them...kind of defeated the purpose. The model I tried (Amore Bay) did not have a lounge, and I floated out of the seats. It was work to get my thighs, calves and feet on the jets. A lounge may help this, but they only had one model available to wet test. The bench seating had a lot of jets but they seemed too far forward and ended up between my legs.....not always that bad for me (female), but can hurt a guy! I would have liked tem further back on my butt. The tub is really beautiful...big and free form. Way too big for my space. The ones I was looking at (the Chairman II or the Diplomat) had an ugly, open filter box that seemed like it was missing a cover, but that is how it was made. It also didn't offer much for lighting and no waterfall, fountain or ice chest (nice for a cool down in Florida). The Sarana Bay also seemed like the floor was very high...water was 26" deep, aren't many deeper?

I am wet testing the Vita Spa and maybe the Caldera tomorrow, and seeing/wet testing a "Gulf Coast Spa" on Friday, does anyone know them????

If you have a marquis dealer anywhere nearby, you might want to consider them. They seem to take the "therapy" part of hydrotherapy very seriously. Especially in their Epic model. They have a place in some of their spas that does not have a seat and from the top to the bottom of the spa is a row of jets. This is great for legs, since you mentioned you had a hard time reaching those areas in a wet test. Their 2008 models are supposed to have upgraded fountains and lights. Their fountain right now isn't that pretty, but I did see where someone had put rocks and a candle on theirs and really dressed it up. We looked at caldera as well, but avoided them because of rec warehouse. I didn't want to deal with them with any warranty issues in the future. We bought an Artesian spa which we are quite happy with. They have a modified "lounger" that is a flat spot inbetween two corner seats with jets in the bottom of it. These are great for legs. Are you looking at spas with foot jets? I use my foot jet alot for calf massages. I had a hard time finding a neck jet system that I liked as well. Many times I had to be a contortionist to use them. That's one of the reasons we finally chose our spa. The neck jet seat worked perfectly for both my husband and me. Good luck and happy hunting!

I have to agree. Find a Marquis dealer. They have some really good spas for hydrotherapy. Could be the thing you are looking for. My wife and I wet tested the Epic and fell in love with the spa. (We wet tested about 15 others before) Because of a problem I had with the dealer, we didn't purchase the Epic. We went with our second choice the Hot Springs Grandee. It is getting delivered tomorrow. Good luck in whatever you purchase and remember, Wet test, wet test, wet test. :D

I wet tested 3 hot Spring spas and a tiger river spa today. I found out I'm a "floater"!!! I wet tested the HS Envoy first...I floated out of EVERY seat!!!! I tried the Sovereign next, and that was a bit better, more upright seating. The Vanguard on the floor was dry, but that may have been the best. The neck jets on Hot Springs didn't hit me the way I wanted though.

The Tiger River Caspian by Hot Springs has more upright seating, better neckjets and good foot massage. I liked it better.

Then I went over to Rec Warehouse to test the Caldera. I tested the Utopia, and it didn't work (this salesperson knew I wouldn't like it, he said I'd float in it) (I'm about 20 pounds overweight). I did, however really like the Niagra, which had no lounge. But the neck jets still weren't exactly what I wanted. (It may not exist) I think I got a good price for an ordered Niagra....$8450 delivered w/steps and coverlifter. Is that good???? The Caldera's ridge on the floor to keep you in your seat is great.

I called the Marquis dealer that is 1 1/2 hour away, the only one in South Florida. They have not even gotten any in yet, they are new to the line. Not sure if I like that idea. I REALLY want this for the Holidays (before), and I'm not sure if it is worth it to wait till they get them in to test (end of month) since it may make me lose the Holiday delivery from Caldera. (I think they close mid-December.) That dealer also has Sundance, but none that are wet.

There is another Sundance dealer in Miami, about 1 hour away. I HATE driving there, but it may be worth it if they have neck jets...anyone know? They are also in a huge pool supply store that gets a lot of traffic, not sure If I like the idea of wet testing there. Is it worth it?

Went to Jacuzzi also. Dealer had very little stock, and NO negotiation. The price was too high for what you get.

Wet testing Vita Spa tomorrow.....want to buy this weekend so I can stop obsessing. The more I shop, the more confused I get!

Thank Goodness I wet tested, because I was set on a lounge and now I realize I float right out!

Oh yeah, the Marquis dealer also said her Epic was $11,500!!!!!!! My budget will go no higher than $8500.

The Artisian dealer is about 2 hours away.....can I get a spa w/neck jets there for around 8G's? Worth the drive???????

Also found a local Dynasty dealer anybody know of them????

You should be able to, no problem. We went with the island series which is their more affordble line of spas. The thing is, they have the new spinning helix jets that their other lines don't have yet. Our captiva has an awesome seat with very powerful neck jets. I think it's worth a drive. If you go, don't forget to check out a spa with the jets in the seat that you can use for your legs. We've been absolutely thrilled with our spa. We added the rainsforest waterfall and dynapoint lights. They are really pretty.

The price you got for the niagara was really good($8500) especially if it included delivery and set up. I'm getting a price of around $10,000 from my local DC dealer. That is my favorite tub so far. I'm going to wet test an sundance optima either later today or tomorrow.

The second most important decision after finding a model you like is finding a dealer you feel will treat you fairly after the sale. The closer to your house the better. Make sure that they do not charge for service calls after the first year. The sundance dealer is about 3 miles from my house and has been in business since 1971.

Steve

My dealer is 1 1/2 from my home without traffic, over that with traffic. He gave me referals all the way into another state. For me the distance wasn't important. I started a thread on another forum about trip charges and 95% of the people told me their dealer charges a trip charge, even if it's warranty work. My dealer came out to check on something for me and did not charge. I must admit that's something I didn't check before I bought. IMO, I wouldn't pass up a spa because of the location of the dealer. For me finding the right spa was important. If 5 years down the road I have to pay a $75 trip charge, I'll be ok with that. Now, if the dealer is 2 hours away and does not have a good reputation, I would worry.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!!! I am so confused!!!!

I wet tested the Vita Spa Cabaret today. Since they manufacture near me in South Florida, there are 3 factory owned stores within about a half hour of my house, and they by far have the most to look at around here. They have some features I love. I like the ice/cup holder. Need a dry place for my phone. I like that they have seats with little tiny "finger jets" air jets that come out feeling cold!!! It is a very different sensation. They also have a cool mist feature. The neck jets had a splashing issue with me as did the D-1. Also, the lounge/Captain chair was a bit too big for me. When my head was on the pillow, my wrists didn't reach the wrist jets. They have very pretty lighting and waterfall, and although I know it sounds silly, I like that stuff. They also have an option to add a third water pump for 5 total, though I didn't think it needed it he was almost throwing it in. Problem is, I don't really want to like them...I want to like the "premium" brands more. They also have a Nuage that I really want to wet test, but nobody has one set up, it has a big tower of foot jets I'd like to try.

I also tested a Dynasty spa. They only had one smallish wet one on the floor, but it had by far the best neck jets of all! The spa didn't have enough power though, only one seat worked well at a time. Anybody know of another brand with the same type of neck jet as Dynasty?

Right now, I'm choosing between the Caldera Niagra (I already don't remember it) and the 2 Vita spas (which have more jets and features and are a little cheaper). Tomorrow I will brave the drive to Miami and try the Sundance, but I really did not want to go over $8,000, and I keep moving up! The Mystique dealer, 1 1/2 hours away is new to the line, and hasn't even gotten them in stock yet, I think waiting for that may confuse me more! Artesian is just too far, and again, I'm confused enough already. I need to soak with all this stress!!!!

I think the premium brands are...Sundance, Hot Springs, Caldera, Mystique, D-1, Jacuzzi, Atesian, Coleman & Arctic. At least that is what I have gathered from this site. Those seem to be the "BEST".

I went to the Vita factory outlet in Ft. Lauderdale and Davie, FL. The Ft. Lauderdale guy is getting a Nuage filled for me. It is so similar to the Sundance Optima but has the added air jets that I love and is $2,000 cheaper. If I like it, that will be the one. I am testing the Sundance today.

After wet testing the Sundance today, I'm more confused than ever!!! Are they worth the extra price? I offered $9200 for the wet floor model Optima with stereo & Ozone, and got turned down flat. The lowest he would go is $9800 with the steps, cover and delivery & set up. I have to pay extra for the cover lift (he quoted $345....everyplace else threw it in!) and the outside lights on the spa, a feature I LOVE, so would have to get. So I would be over $10,000 (I have a prescription, so at least I don't have to pay tax), and that is too rich for my blood. I really want to be at $8,000. He gave me $9,000 for an ordered Optima w/ozone, no stereo, basic steps, delivery & set up. Again, the expensive cover lift and lights are extra (throw that in and I would have bought it then and there!)

There were no wet 700 series spas, but the Chelsea would be $7,000 w/ ozone+++. Is the Optima worth $2000 more????? They have almost the same exact set up? I forgot how much the Majesta was, and that is the one I like best. I think $8500, but there wasn't even a dry one to see. I absolutely love the Mocha colored cabinet Sundance has.

I thought I gave up on Caldera, but ran in for a re-test on the way home...and I still really liked that Niagra for $8500 including cover lift and GFI box and it includes the outside lights.

It doesn't look like I can wet test the Vita for a few days, so that may be out unless the one other Vita dealer far away has it wet.

Here's another thing to do. Have them open the inspection panel on the end. Check the insulating. Can't remember if you are in Florida but if you are it's not as important as the cold weather areas. Here's another thing you can do. Consider used. Tubs drop value like a crashing airplane. LOL! I found my cheapy on Craigslist brand new $2500 under dealer price. Course you don't get to choose exact features but you save a lot of money.

Well, I just ruled out Sundance. I would have taken his prices, but he wouldn't add the external lights and a cover lifter. That just bugged me too much. I really didn't get any "deal" for a wet floor model, and the only reason I was willing to go up as high as $9800 for that one was because it is in stock. The interior was black, and as pretty as it looked, I know that will show white deposits too much anyway.

So, it is now between Caldera and Vita. I really like a built in stereo the more I think about it, but Caldera has no mp3 input, but they do have the external lights I love. My brain still wanders back to the Tiger River Caspian too....

Ok ivie, take a DEEP breath with me. Good! I have been where you are. I know the feelings of confusion and anxiety. Honestly, it comes down to one thing. Getting the spa you like the best. If you want exterior lights, then get them. Definately, get the cover lifter. Take a minute if you can and write down each spa you are considering, then write down the pros and cons. Maybe in the long run an MP3 hook up isn't that important to you, maybe it's very important. Don't get too caught up in getting the spa now. You are going to be using this tub for a long long time and it's a big investment. A month isn't that long. Especially if you need to have an electrician come out or have any other type of prep work to do. I saw you mention on another thread that you were considering one brand because it was going to be easier to maintain. I don't get that. Why would that be? I would have to assume that a dark tub would show the water line mark more than a light colored tub, but it only takes a minute to run around the water line with a scrubby. Of course, if you are obsessive/compulsive like me, run away from black. Take your time and don't buy until you are sure that you are getting the exact spa you want. It will all be ok in the long run.