What's The Dumbest Hot Tub Mistake You've Made.

TinyBubbles

Have any of you done anything really stupid related to your spa? I have a friend that walked outside one cold morning to soak, opened the spa, stepped inside, only to realize that the spa was only 1/2 full. She panicked over her hot tub leak and couldn't figure out why one side of the tub was wet all the way down the cabinet with a puddle at the bottom. Finally, she realized that she had let the water level get too low on the spa. When the filter cycle kicked in, the jets were shooting water out of the tub, until it got low enough to shut it down. Because of this, I'm vigilant about the water level in my spa. Anyone else have a story that might help the rest of us?

Last February we had a two week period of below zero temperatures. Since I knew I wasn't going to use my tub when it was that cold, I decided to turn the temperature down to save money. I turned down the temp, closed the cover, and let the tub sit for two weeks, without checking anything. When I finally went to turn up the heat, I opened the cover to see green water. Algae was everywhere. It took me days of superchlorinating the water and using clarifier to get it halfway normal.

The lesson is, just because you aren't using the tub doesn't mean you shouldn't watch your chemicals.

Have any of you done anything really stupid related to your spa? I have a friend that walked outside one cold morning to soak, opened the spa, stepped inside, only to realize that the spa was only 1/2 full. She panicked over her hot tub leak and couldn't figure out why one side of the tub was wet all the way down the cabinet with a puddle at the bottom. Finally, she realized that she had let the water level get too low on the spa. When the filter cycle kicked in, the jets were shooting water out of the tub, until it got low enough to shut it down. Because of this, I'm vigilant about the water level in my spa. Anyone else have a story that might help the rest of us?

I overfilled one of our demo spas and found my dog afterhours splashing around in it. Because of this I will not let the dog out of my office while I'm in the back fixing one of the secretary's

computers ;)

I overfilled one of our demo spas and found my dog afterhours splashing around in it. Because of this I will not let the dog out of my office while I'm in the back fixing one of the secretary's

computers ;)

I left my cover open all night once. :unsure:

I owned a softub in the early 90's. Went on vacation in January and came home to find a big block of ice. Somewhere along the way the GFCI had tripped. (It may have been before I left.) I don't know if this qualifies as stupidity or just bad karma. However, in the lessons learned category, I now check my tub daily during the winter and ask my neighbors to check on it while I'm on vacation.

We were installing a gazebo over our two week old tub. I had a cocktail in me....ok, perhaps two, but NOT more than three. I needed to get up high to adjust a connection and thought the middle of the tub cover would be a good place to do it. Hey, those covers are built well but just aren't designed for a 200 lb man.

She only buckled a bit....but a bit is a bit too much when it comes to that kind of investment.

We live.......We learn!

I decided to empty my spa by draining it into the pool which needed some water anyway so it was a nice clean water swap. I hooked up a long hose (I use specifically for the water swap) to the spa drain and let it drain while I worked around the house. Later that day I got back to it, saw it was empty and started the water fill (with a different hose, hint, hint). I then went back to painting in the house while it filled thinking I'd check it periodically.

I came back every once in awhile and saw it filling. It was slow but I never questioned why as its always slow but I should have noticed it was slower to fill this time. Finally later it was full so I turned off the water, turned on the breaker and then closed the cover. The next morning I went out to the spa and opened it only to find it empty. I had never unhooked the drain so when I was filling it with one hose the other hose was draining it into the pool. It fills faster than it drains so I did get it filled to the top but once I shut that hose off and walked away it just drained it down. My pool did get good and full.

I also have turned on the water to add a few inches and overfilled it, more than once. Sometimes I try to do 3 or 4 things at a time when I need to stick to 1 or 2.

I decided to empty my spa by draining it into the pool which needed some water anyway so it was a nice clean water swap. I hooked up a long hose (I use specifically for the water swap) to the spa drain and let it drain while I worked around the house. Later that day I got back to it, saw it was empty and started the water fill (with a different hose, hint, hint). I then went back to painting in the house while it filled thinking I'd check it periodically.

I came back every once in awhile and saw it filling. It was slow but I never questioned why as its always slow but I should have noticed it was slower to fill this time. Finally later it was full so I turned off the water, turned on the breaker and then closed the cover. The next morning I went out to the spa and opened it only to find it empty. I had never unhooked the drain so when I was filling it with one hose the other hose was draining it into the pool. It fills faster than it drains so I did get it filled to the top but once I shut that hose off and walked away it just drained it down. My pool did get good and full.

I also have turned on the water to add a few inches and overfilled it, more than once. Sometimes I try to do 3 or 4 things at a time when I need to stick t1 or 2.

Ahhhh. sounds like AADD. I think I have it too.

Tiny, When I was having the electrician install my tub we powered up the tub partially full. The tub started to prime the pumps and I was really excited since that was what the instructions said it would do. I went inside the house and all of a sudden the electrician started yelling shut it off, shut it off. Well as you may have guessed the jets kicked in and the top jets in the lounge area started shooting water half way across my patio. It was a lot of water to say the least, but a lesson well learned. :lol:

I gave a customer some Shiner Bock beer and a Walther P-99 semi-auto pistol loaded with 17-rounds of hollowpoint 9mm ammo to use during his test soak. He used these accoutrements to negotiate a lower selling price. Now, I only give them unloaded weapons.

shortspark.jpg

Terminator

I only give them unloaded weapons.Terminator

Yes, I learned the hard way myself - from now on loaded customers get unloaded weapons.

B)