Dealer Is Chemically Challenged

IlliniFan

We have a J335 and are using Reserve and Renew. Our dealer is great with many things, but chemicals are not one. After using spa, we put in 2 oz of renew. The next day the Bromine level is less than 2. 1 hour after adding renew, bromine level is 10. Is it normal and safe for the bromine to fall so low? Thank you all for your help.

If I understand it correctly, with Reserve and Renew you don't really develop a steady state level of free bromine as you do with a floater system. The bromine "bank" you establish with the Reserve is the same sodium bromide you use to start up a "regular" bromine tub and doesn't test as free bromine. You use the shock (Renew) to create the actual sanitizer (hypobromous acid) and I guess that probably creates free bromine temporarily until it is used up. So I'm guessing your experience is normal.

Chem Geek, where are you when we need you?

It amazes me how these people sell things without understanding how to use them. That's just wrong. I would see if leisure time has an 800# and call them. I would have to assume that whoneeds is correct. Your reserve is just sitting in the tub waiting for the renew. The whole point of using this system is that you use renew right after soaking, which means your next soak you are not sitting in sanitizer. Sounds like the way I dose with dichlor. I raise levels right after soaking, 24 hours later when I get back in, they are low again. Seems like a much easier and effective system than the bromine floaters.

It amazes me how these people sell things without understanding how to use them. That's just wrong. I would see if leisure time has an 800# and call them. I would have to assume that whoneeds is correct. Your reserve is just sitting in the tub waiting for the renew. The whole point of using this system is that you use renew right after soaking, which means your next soak you are not sitting in sanitizer. Sounds like the way I dose with dichlor. I raise levels right after soaking, 24 hours later when I get back in, they are low again. Seems like a much easier and effective system than the bromine floaters.

Sorry, trying to get the hang of this forum. That is what I thought. The bromine would shock initially and then fall. I think I will call Leisure time. I am not getting a lot of help from dealer. thanks everyone

The reserve and renew is a two part system. Reserve consists of a solution of a simple salt called sodium bromide, a natural constituent of seawater. This is added to the spa water initially and then weekly thereafter. When added, the sodium bromide does nothing by itself. However, when Renew is added it will oxidize the sodium bromine from Reserve to result in producing active bromine sanitizer in the water. It is only after Renew is added to the water that a sanitizer is actually present in the water.

LeisureTimeSpa.com