Builder Seeking Advice From All Unsatisfied Consumers

hey guys

i notice there's an abundance of unsatisfied consumers on this forum (and other places too) --- so I have a question that has nagged the heck out of me for nearly two years. Hopefully someone can shed some light

A little background:

I own a swimming pool company. We're young and small. I love pools --- it is a passion. It is hard work too --- but is very rewarding (and the intangible rewards far outweigh the monetary gain, trust me).

However, we lose SOOOO much business to a lot of these larger franchise companies (I call em the "McPool Builders). The comments I read in this forum are not abnormal nor are they shocking. I run into a lot of pool owners who were seriously upset with their builder, or had terrible experiences. I ran into a former prospect who had chosen a larger company, over mine --- and tell me they wish they had gone with mine (though we were in line at the grocery store and I think she was just trying to avoid the awkwardness of the moment).

So my question is --- why do you all keep going to these companies?? What is it that makes you say "ah--- I like your company." I'm sure you all check references --- but do you think that anyone's ever going to give you a bad reference.

Obviously, none of you are the first "victims" (if you will) of any of these McPool Companies. But everyone keeps going back!!!

I do feel for your situations --- and feel frustrated for you. However, it frustrates me at the same time because many of these "horror stories" are really easy problems to deal with, and it's unfortunate that there are so called "builders" out there who cannot REALLY stand behind their work.

So, does having a builder who actually CARES about their work mean anything to you, as a consumer? Or someone who is willing to accept responsibility for their actions??

Sorry for the venting ... feedback welcome

hey guys

i notice there's an abundance of unsatisfied consumers on this forum (and other places too) --- so I have a question that has nagged the heck out of me for nearly two years. Hopefully someone can shed some light

A little background:

I own a swimming pool company. We're young and small. I love pools --- it is a passion. It is hard work too --- but is very rewarding (and the intangible rewards far outweigh the monetary gain, trust me).

However, we lose SOOOO much business to a lot of these larger franchise companies (I call em the "McPool Builders). The comments I read in this forum are not abnormal nor are they shocking. I run into a lot of pool owners who were seriously upset with their builder, or had terrible experiences. I ran into a former prospect who had chosen a larger company, over mine --- and tell me they wish they had gone with mine (though we were in line at the grocery store and I think she was just trying to avoid the awkwardness of the moment).

So my question is --- why do you all keep going to these companies?? What is it that makes you say "ah--- I like your company." I'm sure you all check references --- but do you think that anyone's ever going to give you a bad reference.

Obviously, none of you are the first "victims" (if you will) of any of these McPool Companies. But everyone keeps going back!!!

I do feel for your situations --- and feel frustrated for you. However, it frustrates me at the same time because many of these "horror stories" are really easy problems to deal with, and it's unfortunate that there are so called "builders" out there who cannot REALLY stand behind their work.

So, does having a builder who actually CARES about their work mean anything to you, as a consumer? Or someone who is willing to accept responsibility for their actions??

It is the consumers quest for instant satisfaction. they want it fast, and have no idea of the maintance involved.

If You Keep building with high quaility and satisfaction, dont worry about the ones you did not build. they are just exsamples of work you did not do. you will allways be busy. and your customer will spread your reputation.

Jeff Grotte

www.poolguy.com

I do a lot of stuff online and having a strong internet presence for a company lets me know you're out there and gives me a chance to see pictures of some of the work you're most proud of. I took into consideration how long they'd been in business and scheduled a time to have several companies come out to my house and draw up a proposal. I also checked them out on the BBB site. One company had built two other pools in my neighborhood. Neither of those homes were on his reference list, but I went to the homes and asked their opinion on the company.

I don't think the consumer is seeking instant gratification - we just want to know that we're not going to get screwed by someone not finising the job or doing poor work.

Hi Eastcoast, we run into the same problem here in Ohio. There is a "big" company out of the Cleveland area that has stores all over NE Ohio. We are a small "mom & pop" shop, just my husband, myself and our son and a couple of employees. People will buy from the "big" company, then come into our store and say, I hate going back to [the big store] because they treat you like you're nothing to them. They are so big they are like McDonalds - they don't call you by name, you're just another customer. I want to ask, "Why did you buy your pool from them in the first place", but then I realize it was probably price. They are so big that they buy in bulk (1000's of filters at one time, for instance). We know we can't compete with that but we offer great service and friendly advice. And people keep coming back to us year after year. So we take pride in the fact that we've been in business for over 42 years, and our customers are the nicest people in the world (or at least our section of it)!! Good Luck and keep doing what your doing. You may not get rich, but you will have the great satisfaction that you have helped a lot of people make their Summers more enjoyable. :)

Hi Eastcoast,

I know I haven't gotten a pool yet, but when we buy a Big Ticket item like a skidloader or a pool thee most important thing is service. I want to know that you'll be there when my pool turns black from pumping out of the river. Service is how we bought our skidloader; it was the most expensive brand but the service was exceptional. So when I look for a pool it is exactly the same thing ,who is going to be there to answer the questions and help fix the problem.

Baro

hey guys

A little background:

I think what makes these big builders effective at marketing is pretty simple.

1)The cost seems more competitive than smaller builders. In my area the smaller builders were 10-25K more for roughly the same pool - it is hard to convince some-one who does not really understand the process to appreciate why they should pay more for what they think is the same product.

2)Good marketing/brochures make them appear more professional than smaller local guys.

3)Warranty - Lifetime shell warranty, this is probably the biggest selling feature. Considering these are big companies you would not think they would go out of business and void the warranty.

Now that I selected one of these big companies the reality is:

1)No one at the company cares since you are 1 of 50 pools being built simultatneously in your area

2)No one wants to answer your questions since they are too busy or have no idea what is going on

3)They all use the same sub-contractors so it doesn't really matter who you buy your pool from

Right now, I would switch companies if I knew I could get a project manger who cares and communicates well about the process and progress of the project.

hey guys

A little background:

Well, simple. We checked out a few companies and checked the ones that were endorsed with the BBB. My ultimate undoing was the fact that I was ignorant to what the BBB endorsement really stood for. Absolutely nothing unless they get so many complaints they have no choice but to pull the endorsement. My lack of knowledge in pools didn't help to much as this is the first and last pool I will ever have installed, not out of anger but for the fact we're not ever going to sell this house.

Of course we checked the testimonials and called all the people they have given us for references but didn't realize that out of the one or two satisfied customers there were five others that were extremely pissed at this company we went with. This is not a very good ratio by any means.

I'll give it this much though, my rant in this room seems to have motivated the company I got with to get off of their asses and do something. My pool is pretty damn near the in condition it was promised to be in when they finished even though it took a year. I am still currently waiting for one last mistake to get fixed. I regret that I had to drag this company's name through the dirt to get what needed to be done fixed but I guess it was an evil that had to be done.

You see, even though you portray yourself as a great pool builder how would any of us really know if you're reputable or not? Your sales pitch can't be any different than theirs. I have the same amount of untrust for you as any other company out there when we first meet. Don't think for a minute just because you portray yourself as a "mom and pop" pool builder that instills trust because it doesn't. You're just as liable to screw a job up as a larger company. The difference is the bigger companies, even though it takes a while, has the resources to come back later and correct the problem after you chase after them for a little while.

Ultimately it would be the lack of information out there that leads people to go to a company that will try to do the least amount of work for the most money. Had I come to THIS place on the internet first I would have never chosen the company I went with but, that doesn't mean that someone with a small company would not have taken me for just a miserable of a ride.

That is just my opinion. I could be wrong...............

Jerry