Trying To Do Some Of The Elec Set-up, I Have Questions

homerandpooh

My spa is about a month away and I'm trying to do some of the electtical set-up stuff on my own to save money. The dealer recommended 60 amps so that we can run both pumps and the heater. Here is what I plan on doing:

installing the pvc conduit with pull string

mounting the disconnect 5' from the tub locale

running the liquid tight from the disconnect to the tub area with pull string

My hope is that the electrician can just show up, run the wire and hook it all up. My questions are

1. did I buy the right disconnect? I bought a 60 amp gfci breaker box ( it's called a spa package from Lowes) I think it has to be 60 amps at the main panel, but does the box outside have to be 60 as well?

here's a link to what I bought:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...63-UG412RMW260P

2. is there a limit to the length of the liquid tight I can run? If so I'll have to run more pvc to a box closer then liquid tight from it

3. should I buy and pre run the wire? if so how would I find out which guage, for both the main run and the run to the tub? from the main panel to the disconnect it's about 50'

It's a Jacuzzi 480, and we live north of Baltimore where it does get pretty cold in winter. I plan on using a certified electrician to do the hook ups, but if I can run some of the stuff myself I can save money on labor and possible mark-up.

I'm trying to do some of the electtical set-up stuff on my own to save money.

My hope is that the electrician can just show up, run the wire and hook it all up.

You may want to make sure your electrician is comfortable with this. In my neck of the woods if you hire an electrician he/she has to do all the work they pull the permit for. That aside, some might not want to get involved in a homowner helper scenario.

1. did I buy the right disconnect? I bought a 60 amp gfci breaker box ( it's called a spa package from Lowes) I think it has to be 60 amps at the main panel, but does the box outside have to be 60 as well?

here's a link to what I bought:

Looks like that would work, i like the gfci at the disconnect.

2. is there a limit to the length of the liquid tight I can run? If so I'll have to run more pvc to a box closer then liquid tight from it

YES. i believe it is about 6', dont forget the to count the length you run inside the tub as well to get to the spa pack.

3. should I buy and pre run the wire? if so how would I find out which guage, for both the main run and the run to the tub? from the main panel to the disconnect it's about 50'

There are NEC code charts for this, but your owners manual should also give a recommended gauge wire, which might be 1 size higher. Again, you should discuss this with your electrician as they will ultimately be taking responsibilty for the work.

Good luck with your new tub!

You might want to talk with a local electrician about this. Sometimes, they might not be willing to pull the wires if they didn't also install the conduit. But they could also tell you the rules about how to properly run conduit.

As for the liquitight conduit, I have to believe that you can run it for longer than 6 feet. Your panel should be no closer than 5 feet to the tub, and then you have to run the conduit underground (usually about 24-36 inches below ground) and then up into your spa. I think that would be about 10-12 feet of conduit right there. But that also depends on your local electrical codes.