Starting The Search

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parrothead,

Let us know how the D1 Amore wet test goes and what you liked or disliked. My local D1 dealer is waiting to get his D1 Amore manufactured and delivered. I'm interested in knowing if the jets are powerful.

See a few posts up for my general thoughts on the Amore' Bay. The D1 spas were not the most powerful jets I felt. Felt fine, but not real powerful. The neck jets were either the best or tied for best (with Marquis Epic). I like pretty powerful therapy, though, so your opinion may differ.

Anyone wet test both a Vista and a Vanguard or Grandee? I'm wondering if the Moto seat in the latter 2 feels any different than the Moto seat in the Vista, which is a lounger.

We wet tested both last night! The grandee was ok, but i could not get real comfortable in the Moto's. We both thought the moto in the Vista lounger was far better? . I thought the fountain was silly, and the inside controls very confusing. I was a little dissapointed. The Moto in the vista had more force I was told since it is closer to the pumps. The foot jets in the lounger were too far from my feet to really feel. I am 5'10. If I was going to buy the hot spring it would be the Vista. I just agreed to buy the Sundance Maxxus. it is a bit more, but I believe has more therapeutic value to me. I was way more comfortable in the lounger.

As for the Moto Massage, I think the design felt better when it was one jet going up and down the spine rather than 2, one on each side.

Been away for a while, but thought I'd chime in on your search which my wife and I started about a year ago. We're in west suburban Chicago and we wet tested almost every brand except Baja, Calspa, Marquis, LA, and Dynasty (most of which were either too far from our home or not available for wet testing). We ended up buying an Arctic Tundra due to it's quality, layout, and style of mfg but it does not have true reverse neck jets. It seems that neckk therapy is a hot button for you so I would suggest looking at the following brands and models. The Artesian Grand Bahama or Grand Cayman both have splash protected units (the Piper Glen's top row of neck jets sprays all over and in our opinion was pretty worthless) and are less expensive than the PG.

We wet tested them and thought they were pretty effective, but the Artesians seem to lack a lot of variety in the types of jets on their units.

LA and Dynasty both have reverse neck jets with splash guards built into their shells. They both look like nicely built products but I cannot vouch for their feel so it is best that you west test them before purchasing. LA has limited distribution in the area (Bensenville for certain) but Dynasty is sold thru the FIM chain with stores all over the Chicago area. I have a friend who has one and has had good luck with his. They seem to offer a lot of larger 6" jets which IMO make the message feel superior than the smaller standard 3" jets. They are also very reasonably priced so I would not overlook them.

If you want more info from our experience, let me know. Good luck and happy hunting!

After reading your posts, I am thinking that the 1 to 1 1/2 hour drive to test the marquis epic may be worth it. Did you happen to notice if there is a higher seat, or a cool down seat? I have a 2 year old who would love his own seat! I made some previous posts about the D-1 I wet tested today. Boy, wet testing sure changes things! I had a few issues with the D-1, but just fyi, I was quoted $9000 for a dry floor model of the Chairman II. I really want to be closer to $8,000. My search started at about $5-6,000, and now I am also considering putting a surface on my cement patio, plus the electrical work...I am up to about $12,000. UGH.

See my previous post about my issues with the D-1 if you are interested. I would love if you let me know the prices you were quoted on some of the models you looked at. I want above water neck jets as well, so would be looking at the same brands. The Vita spa still has the best jet layout to me, so they are still my top choice, though one poster has had a bad experience.

Your wife sounds like a floater like me!!!!! I was in a Tiger River (Hot Springs) Caspian...has great neck jets, and really didn't float like most. The Caldera Niagra was OK too, but the neck jets weren't quite where I wanted them. The foot ridge helps keep you in your seat. Marquis dealer 1-2 hours away is so new she hasn't even gotten them in yet (end of the month), and wants $11,500 for an Epic!!! The Artesian dealer is about 2 hours away, not sure it is worth the drive. Did you find any good ones that had good jets to point on top of neck/shoulder area, and you don't float out of???? I guess I need more upright seating. It is the deep captain's chairs and lounges that I float from.

Your wife sounds like a floater like me!!!!! I was in a Tiger River (Hot Springs) Caspian...has great neck jets, and really didn't float like most. The Caldera Niagra was OK too, but the neck jets weren't quite where I wanted them. The foot ridge helps keep you in your seat. Marquis dealer 1-2 hours away is so new she hasn't even gotten them in yet (end of the month), and wants $11,500 for an Epic!!! The Artesian dealer is about 2 hours away, not sure it is worth the drive. Did you find any good ones that had good jets to point on top of neck/shoulder area, and you don't float out of???? I guess I need more upright seating. It is the deep captain's chairs and lounges that I float from.

The Marquis Epic neck jets felt pretty good -- probably my favorite. My wife didn't float in that lounger, although she liked the other trizone seat more comfortable. And there was a very upright seat that also had great neck jets.

My 2nd favorite neck jets were on the D1. Tested the Amore' Bay and the Chairman II. My wife did float in the Chairman, but not in the Amore' Bay.

I tested the Amore Bay and hated it. The neck jets splashed everywhere, so I had to turn them off or lower them below the water. I floated out of every seat, and the bench area's seat jets hit me wrong.

I wet tested the Vita Caberet and a Dynasty spa today. Vita had a lot of great features that were very unique. They have seats w/tiny air jets that feel cold....great cool down. You can order an extra pump, though I didn't think it needed it (I'd get it anyway). I had a little splashing problem w/the neck jets, but overall a good spa, up there in the top 2 in my list. The Dynasty had the BEST neck jets, by far, but not enough power to the whole tub in the small one I tried. Only one or two seats were good at a time.

Right now choosing b/t a Caldera Niagra and 2 Vita's-Caberet and Nuage, which they are trying to fill for me for a wet test. Going to see Sundance tomorrow. Marquis dealer is to far, and doesn't even have any to test yet. Maybe that is better, they are 1 1/2 hours away, and I'm confused enough as is. AAAAHHHHRRRGGGGHHH...so confused!

Talked to Marquis man. He has a wet floor model Epic (no stereo) that he said he'd sell for $9000, but then wanted $249 for steps and lifter. Wanted mid 9's for one with the transducer speakers in the shell that you wire to your house. Said full stereo version (Adagio, I think they call it) would be mid 10's, but he has a dry floor model he'd deal on. Seems to me he's still a tad high. He did call back and offer to come down a little more on the wet floor model. The shell color is not exactly what we were looking for, and it has the plastic or rubber jet housings, as opposed to the chrome accent rings. Dunno.....Gotta give it some thought.

Looking at the responses ivie is getting has me thinking. I'm not going to settle on a color my wife doesn't like, just to save $400 or $500 on a $9000 purchase. I think I'm going to work the best deal I can and order the exact color/features she likes.

Did the responses tell you that or did being married to her for XX years tell you that?

You get one chance to get the right spa; take your time and don't let a few hundred dollars stop you from getting what you truly want. This'll be in your yard for the next decade+.

He's not married to me, though he's helped make my decision a hell of a lot more than my husband, who's sole input has been "get whatever you want!" Parrotthead, at least your wife has been helping with the decision. I would say you both write your top 3 (no peeking!) and see which you both agree on, get that one, and order the color you want.

Just an fyi, I like neck jets too, and of the premium brands, I actually liked the Hot Springs Tiger River neck jets the best, but one seat hurt me and I couldn't use it, so I ruled it out. The one dealer who is getting in Marquis doesn't wet test, so I had to rule them out.

Good luck and happy hunting! Thanks for being my pseudo-husband during this search!

Pseudo-wifes don't spend the pseudo husband's money, don't nag, and don't bitch. On the other hand, we also don't cook, clean, or put out. (Unless......are you coming to Florida anytime soon???? We can fight over neck jets!!!) ha ha. Can't wait to see what you decide!

While waiting for the prep work to be done to my deck (carpentry & electric), I went back and read some more posts. I've decided to (against my wife's wishes) go wet test Jacuzzi and Sundance tomorrow night. Talked to a dealer about a half hour drive away who has a Maxxus and Optima, a J365 & 480 wet. I promsie -- these will be my FINAL WET TESTS!!! :P

While waiting for the prep work to be done to my deck (carpentry & electric), I went back and read some more posts. I've decided to (against my wife's wishes) go wet test Jacuzzi and Sundance tomorrow night. Talked to a dealer about a half hour drive away who has a Maxxus and Optima, a J365 & 480 wet. I promsie -- these will be my FINAL WET TESTS!!! :P

A word of warning....don't buy without your wife's opinion, or you may end up soaking alone! (You can't bring me, your pseudo-wife in, you might get electrocuted!) Seriously, when I went to test the Sundance the 2nd time, I brought my husband. I was ready to buy it then and there. He hated it and said he couldn't wait to get out. That means I would have been soakin alone.......

At least you are testing everything! No surprises!!!! I ended up with the Sundance Maxxus after testing HS Vista and Marquis Epic. In hindsiight still no regrets. I love this spa. I only wish I had it wired for 60 amp versus 50. I can run the heat with 1 of the three pumps on rather than all three. But in sitting in it for an hour with 2 kids it only lost 2 degrees. Make sure the dealer explains the jets to you! They are awesome!

At least you are testing everything! No surprises!!!! I ended up with the Sundance Maxxus after testing HS Vista and Marquis Epic. In hindsiight still no regrets. I love this spa. I only wish I had it wired for 60 amp versus 50. I can run the heat with 1 of the three pumps on rather than all three. But in sitting in it for an hour with 2 kids it only lost 2 degrees. Make sure the dealer explains the jets to you! They are awesome!

Mike, is there anything in particular about the jets I want to learn about? I got the basic run-through while I was at the one store yesterday. I know that's pretty important to my wife -- which is why she liked the Epic better than the Envoy. She felt she could control the seat she was in with diverter valves that were close to the seat, whereas in the HS she felt like she had to get up and cross the tub more often.