Leaking Pool

I bought a new vinl liner for my aboveground pool two years ago. After two years of fighting the algee I finally got a clear pool. Now I think that I've got a leak in the liner. With out using a diver how do I determine if I really do have a leak and if I do how do I go about fixing it?

The best way to find the leak (unfortunately) is to let the water go down until it stops. If it goes below the skimmer, you know it's in the liner. Other than that, you just have to get in the pool and feel around and see if you can find it that way. There's no real "magic" way to find it. There is a leak detector solution which when applied near the leak, will suck the colored solution into the leak. But you need to have a good idea of where it is beforehand. You can't just drop colored drops in the middle of the pool and have it go right to the leak. (Don't we wish! :lol: ) Good Luck!

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I hate leaks...they are such a pain in the ass!

The above post is correct, you have

to wait to see where the water level drops stops.

Once it stops. Buy yourself a leak kit. (Colored Dye)

Then do the army crawl around the edge of the pool

slowly squirting the dye around any joiners, plumbing etc.

The dye will get sucked right into the leak.

Try the most obvious spots first...and make sure the

pump is off. the water has to be perfectly still.

So take your time and try not to rush as you'll

stir the water up too much and it wont work.

Once you have found the leak you can add a clear

vinyl patch to the area. This will be included in any

good leak test kit.

Good Luck..

Regards,

Michael Silvester

First step to determine if you have a leak or just evaporation is a bucket test. Take a 5 gal plastic bucket and fill it about 1/2 to 3/4 full of pool water and place it on the steps of the pool (or if there are no steps on the deck next to the pool) and mark the water level in the bucket. Also mark the water level in the pool (The skimmer is a good choice for this. I use either a marker or a piece of tape for marking). Now wait for the water in the pool to go down and measure how much it has gone down. Do the same in the bucket. If the pool has gone down much more than the bucket then there is a leak. If they both are close in the amount of water lost then it is just evaporation.

Good candidates to check for leaks, short of a tear in the actual liner, are around the skimmer, lights, and the light niche itself.