Just Purchased Costco Discovery Arcadia

cverboort

After about a year of hemming and hawing over buying a hot tub, we decided on Costco's Discovery Arcadia. We have visited many showrooms and spent a lot of time with dealers. Many failed to impress and could not adequately explain the difference between dealer tubs and big box tubs.

I don't intend to continue any of the previous heated debates regarding the differences. We made our decision and will live with it. It's an impressive tub and I hope it lives up to the stated standards.

Sooooo.....we need to have an electrician come out and do the hook-up. We live in Oregon. Does anyone have a ballpark figure we can expect to pay for this? There should not be a great length of wires etc, as the tub will sit on a concrete pad, close to the garage which has the panels.

Our pad is slighly sloped away from the house, I'm assuming this won't be a problem. Any thoughts?

And last...We want to protect our little investment as well as have a bit of privacy. We have been shopping gazebos. I know they can be pretty spendy. Anyone have any ideas for reasonably priced gazebo's..where to find and would any gazebo be compatable with the tub?

Thanks in advance for any useful hints, tips and advice.

Catherine

How big is the patio and how sloped is it? All pads need to have a little slope for drainage, but too much could be a problem. I think it also depends if you would be bothered by having the water line at an angle in your spa. Electrical prices are all over the place. Even within the same area. Just get a few estimates. Part of the price will depend how far from the electrical panel your spa will be located. We are doing the wiring ourselves. Our gfci cost $90 and the wire was a little over $3.00 a ft. Copper prices are up, unfortunately. In my area, parts tend to be half the estimate and labor the other half. As far as the gazebo, I can't help you there. If you don't mind, I would offer one opinion. I have sat in tubs out in the open and ones under awnings. I, personally, enjoy the ones out in the open more. If the gazebo is going to be a sizable investment, you might want to try the tub for awhile without it. It might just be me, but it seemed to get very stuffy and uncomfortable under a cover. I guess since heat rises, this makes sense. Finally, congratulations on your new tub. You have to promise to post pictures when you get it running. I looked at that one myself, it's a pretty tub. Doesn't it have lights around it? If so, give us some night pictures as well. Happy tubbing!

How big is the patio and how sloped is it? All pads need to have a little slope for drainage, but too much could be a problem. I think it also depends if you would be bothered by having the water line at an angle in your spa. Electrical prices are all over the place. Even within the same area. Just get a few estimates. Part of the price will depend how far from the electrical panel your spa will be located. We are doing the wiring ourselves. Our gfci cost $90 and the wire was a little over $3.00 a ft. Copper prices are up, unfortunately. In my area, parts tend to be half the estimate and labor the other half. As far as the gazebo, I can't help you there. If you don't mind, I would offer one opinion. I have sat in tubs out in the open and ones under awnings. I, personally, enjoy the ones out in the open more. If the gazebo is going to be a sizable investment, you might want to try the tub for awhile without it. It might just be me, but it seemed to get very stuffy and uncomfortable under a cover. I guess since heat rises, this makes sense. Finally, congratulations on your new tub. You have to promise to post pictures when you get it running. I looked at that one myself, it's a pretty tub. Doesn't it have lights around it? If so, give us some night pictures as well. Happy tubbing!

Thanks Tiny!!!

Good to know about the electrical stuff. We will get several estimates. Since you are doing your own, do you have experience in this? Wondering if the hubby could do it? I'm also wondering if you don't have a licensed electrician do the work, does it void the warranty should something go wrong?

As far as the gazebo! Great points. I will have to keep that in mind. We would love to have the open air experience, but here in Oregon we would be sitting in a great hot tub, but getting poured on or snowed on (that wouldn't be bad) for five months out of the year. I will consider now though about getting more of an open gazebo, or just one that covers..Fresh breeze, with warm tub.ahhh

Yes, the Arcadia is very nice and it is the one with the lights all around the tub. Nice feature. It has 74 jets, seats 7 w/ lounge, CD/am/fm radio with several surround speakers. Just could not pass on that deal at all. It was 4,800.00. The comprable tubs we looked at at the dealers were roughly 10-12k!!!! So even if what the nay sayers say are true that it will crap out in a couple of years, we could get another one still under the price of the dealer tub. :P

Thanks again and look forward to hearing back from you.

Nothing on my warranty says it has to be done by a licensed electrician. Obviously, if it's done wrong, that could be a problem. We are do it yourselfers. Our logic tends to be, what makes the people you hire so special........if they can do it, we can do it. My hubby has wired a big compressor before, so he has worked with 220 amp service. I think you will find several people on this forum that did their own wiring. If your husband has worked with electrical stuff before, than I'm sure he could do it. I don't know if you can download wiring specs or a brochure for your tub while you are waiting on it. We got all the diagrams and things from our dealer. We ran everything by them before we started, just to be sure we had the right size gfci, wire, etc. We've installed retaining walls and a paver patio ourselves as well, to get ready for the spa. Maybe you have a friend or relative with some wiring experience? As far as the gazebo, one other thing to consider would be those big offset umbrellas. They have some really nice ones. Then you can have cover in the rain or open skies when it's nice.

Nothing on my warranty says it has to be done by a licensed electrician. Obviously, if it's done wrong, that could be a problem. We are do it yourselfers. Our logic tends to be, what makes the people you hire so special........if they can do it, we can do it. My hubby has wired a big compressor before, so he has worked with 220 amp service. I think you will find several people on this forum that did their own wiring. If your husband has worked with electrical stuff before, than I'm sure he could do it. I don't know if you can download wiring specs or a brochure for your tub while you are waiting on it. We got all the diagrams and things from our dealer. We ran everything by them before we started, just to be sure we had the right size gfci, wire, etc. We've installed retaining walls and a paver patio ourselves as well, to get ready for the spa. Maybe you have a friend or relative with some wiring experience? As far as the gazebo, one other thing to consider would be those big offset umbrellas. They have some really nice ones. Then you can have cover in the rain or open skies when it's nice.

Thanks! I will ask around to see who has some knowledge on that stuff. The hubby is pretty good at do-it-yourself projects, so I think with some guidance from someone with a little experience they could pull it off nicely. Better than paying 500 bucks at the least!

The umbrella is a great idea. Would need to find something durable to hold up to the rain and wind. Plus I don't want all the drainage from the umbrella to drop onto our heads while soaking. You've given me some excellent pointers to start with. I thank you for your time. Any other pointers for a first time hot-tub owner???

Also, I am going to post a new question..but since I'm here. Do you have any knowledge regarding prescriptions for hottuns from Dr's. I am going to attempt to get one. I've had 8 shoulder surgeries and one of the main reasons for the purchase was for therapeutic purposes. I've heard they can be hard to get, but if you do you can write them off for taxes!

• 3 weeks later...

I too have been considering the Discovery Arcadia tub from Costco. However I was unwilling to purchase one without seeing one in person. The pictures on the Costco website are not very good. Did you have an opportunity to see one in person before you purchased it? How many access doors are there? What is the insulation like? I also only have a width of 8'4". How much space does raising the cover take?

Thanks! I will ask around to see who has some knowledge on that stuff. The hubby is pretty good at do-it-yourself projects, so I think with some guidance from someone with a little experience they could pull it off nicely. Better than paying 500 bucks at the least!

The umbrella is a great idea. Would need to find something durable to hold up to the rain and wind. Plus I don't want all the drainage from the umbrella to drop onto our heads while soaking. You've given me some excellent pointers to start with. I thank you for your time. Any other pointers for a first time hot-tub owner???

Also, I am going to post a new question..but since I'm here. Do you have any knowledge regarding prescriptions for hottuns from Dr's. I am going to attempt to get one. I've had 8 shoulder surgeries and one of the main reasons for the purchase was for therapeutic purposes. I've heard they can be hard to get, but if you do you can write them off for taxes!

Hey there soakittoya..cute name!

We did not see the tub prior to buying. After over a year of looking we felt it was a deal we couldn't refuse. The tub is very nice looking and is true to the described specs. The shell is a nice pearly color and the skirt is light, but seems to be very cleaner friendly. I'm not sure what material it is, but it's not wood. There are 74 jets, lounge, waterfall, two pumps, led lighting all around the tub and one big one inside...Like I said, all according to the specs they advertise.

The insulation has about an inch of foam and then a foil type liner around the tub itself. There are two access doors that easily screw out which gives full access to everything you will need to do the electrical or additional insulation if you choose.

I just went out and measured for you and the width of the tub (with cover) is 83.5 by 83.5. The cover when lifted is 39 inches. Sounds like it would fit your space.

If you do decide to purchase the spa, I would recommend NOT buying the "suggested" chemicals that costco offers. We did that and had way too much of we did not need. Since the tub has an ozonator it cuts down on what chemicals you do need. They also suggest using Bromine only. The kit Costco suggests is Chlorine. We are taking the Costco kit back and have already purchased a bromine kit from a dealer. It was much easier talking to someone about exactly what we needed for our specific tub. The manual also instructs applying a shell protector and we were able to pick a spray gloss up for 7 bucks. Easy app, spray on, wax-off.

We will be soaking tomorrow night so I will let you know how things work once turned on, but so far so good!

If I can figure out how to post pics, I will put some up for you.

I noticed that the price went up on the tub! I got it for 4899.00, they had a special for 700.00 off. Now it's back to regular price. Wonder if you called if you could still get the deal?

Oh yeah, it's only curbside delivery, but I offered the guys a hundered bucks and they were more than happy to set it up on our patio and even took all the garbage off for me. If you try to arrange that service through the company, they will charge close to $350.00!!!...Craziness! :o

Good luck!

We did not see the tub prior to buying. After over a year of looking we felt it was a deal we couldn't refuse. The tub is very nice looking and is true to the described specs. The shell is a nice pearly color and the skirt is light, but seems to be very cleaner friendly. I'm not sure what material it is, but it's not wood. There are 74 jets, lounge, waterfall, two pumps, led lighting all around the tub and one big one inside...Like I said, all according to the specs they advertise.

The insulation has about an inch of foam and then a foil type liner around the tub itself. There are two access doors that easily screw out which gives full access to everything you will need to do the electrical or additional insulation if you choose.

I just went out and measured for you and the width of the tub (with cover) is 83.5 by 83.5. The cover when lifted is 39 inches. Sounds like it would fit your space.

If you do decide to purchase the spa, I would recommend NOT buying the "suggested" chemicals that costco offers. We did that and had way too much of we did not need. Since the tub has an ozonator it cuts down on what chemicals you do need. They also suggest using Bromine only. The kit Costco suggests is Chlorine. We are taking the Costco kit back and have already purchased a bromine kit from a dealer. It was much easier talking to someone about exactly what we needed for our specific tub. The manual also instructs applying a shell protector and we were able to pick a spray gloss up for 7 bucks. Easy app, spray on, wax-off.

We will be soaking tomorrow night so I will let you know how things work once turned on, but so far so good!

I noticed that the price went up on the tub! I got it for 4899.00, they had a special for 700.00 off. Now it's back to regular price. Wonder if you called if you could still get the deal?

Oh yeah, it's only curbside delivery, but I offered the guys a hundered bucks and they were more than happy to set it up on our patio and even took all the garbage off for me. If you try to arrange that service through the company, they will charge close to $350.00!!!...Craziness! :o

Good luck!

'cverboort', Go to photobucket and open a free account. Upload the pictures to their site. After seeing the pictures on you page you will see img at the bottom of the pictures shown. Click on img to copy the picture from that site and paste it on your post. I hope i was clear. :D

Thanks for the info and measurements. The concern I have about lifting the cover is during the lifting process how much clearance do I need from the edge of the tub? I assume that the cover sits adjacent to the tub but at some angle it would take more room than when it is just sitting there open.

In reading a few other posts I'm not seeing very positive statements about the energy efficiency of the Costco tubs!

Good luck!

This is probably a vague answer, but it should give you some idea. Does the website list the thickness of the cover? Since the cover is folded over the cover lifter in the open position, double that measurement. My cover doesn't sit at an angle, but we had them mount it really low so our view wouldn't be obstructed. You could always add an inch or two to your measurement to be safe. I haven't paid much attention when using the cover lifter, but I will tonight. I'll let you know if it swing out alot during the opening process. Where exactly is the tub going? Could you mount the cover lifter on a side of the tub instead of the back?

I guess I don't fully understand your question "soakittome"....Call me blond..Are you concerned about the total space needed to get the cover off and onto the side of the tub? Basically, folding one side over, then the entire cover off and onto the ground leaning on the tub? And the angle it would need to be at in order to do that??? Let me know and I can do the measurements for you.

BTW~ We had our first soak last night and everything was in perfect order. I would recommend filling it just above the fill line or else it will suge into the filter and make the water kindof swoosh around. The surround sterea system works great, but obviously can be heard better w/o the jets.

I would LOVE to find a gazebo, but they are so outrageously overpriced. Might have to wait til summer and have the hubby build one.

Get back to me with your questions and I'll try to clear things up for ya!

Hi cver, we didn't buy a spa with a built in stereo. We bought outdoor speakers and use them in conjuction with our indoor home theater system. I was curious where your speakers are? When you say it's harder to hear with the jets on, can you adjust the volume to compensate for the pumps running or is the volume already all the way up?

CVERBOORT! Congrats on the tub! If your thinking of a gazebo, like one of them pre-fab easy to set up ones that people buy for weddings and parties.... well they are ok in the rain, but if it snows.. say good-bye to the gazebo! Also congrats to the powers at be.. there was no bashing or flaming in the entire post!!! Pheww, what a relief:)

TINY BUBBLES~

The entire skirt acts as a surround system so the music can be heard throughout. And yes, if we turn it up we can hear it just fine over the jets, only problem is.....I'm sure all the neighbors can too... :P

DEEPCHILLIE~

Thanks! We are very happy with out purchase. I am simply amazed I didn't have anyone bump into my thread to rain on my parade. When I first came to the forum I was amazed at "the hot debate". But I feel great about our purchase, it seems to be a great tub for a great price. I am very happy nobody poo-pood in my nice, hot, bubbling puddle. :D In the wise words of Thumper...If you can't say something nice.... :P

Cheers and happy soaking~

TINY BUBBLES~

The entire skirt acts as a surround system so the music can be heard throughout. And yes, if we turn it up we can hear it just fine over the jets, only problem is.....I'm sure all the neighbors can too... :P

DEEPCHILLIE~

Thanks! We are very happy with out purchase. I am simply amazed I didn't have anyone bump into my thread to rain on my parade. When I first came to the forum I was amazed at "the hot debate". But I feel great about our purchase, it seems to be a great tub for a great price. I am very happy nobody poo-pood in my nice, hot, bubbling puddle. :D In the wise words of Thumper...If you can't say something nice.... :P

Cheers and happy soaking~

There is no debate needed, you never compared it to an 8000 dollar tub and you know exactly what you got. Those who try and say it is the same are the threads that get debated. I think if you read the threads you will see that.

I would LOVE to find a gazebo, but they are so outrageously overpriced. Might have to wait til summer and have the hubby build one.

Congrats on the new tub!

I agree with you that the gazebos are overpriced. I think when you add the word Hot Tub into the mix, everyone automatically doubles their prices. I wonder if you could buy a shed kit, and modify it to work for you? Add a few windows, put on some cedar siding, and it might just work.

I did post pics. They are under a new post in the hot tub forum. We are happy to far with the purchase. Feel free to ask questions.

I found the other thread, but we are looking for pics of the inside, how the seating is arranged. One of our big problems with the hot springs is our favorite seats are on opposite sides of the spa.

Diver, that's the perfect position for playing footsie! Are they your favorite seats because of the jets? I think most people find they use the jets for only a fraction of the time spent in the tub and the rest of the time just enjoy the warm water. So when the jets are off, you could snuggle side by side. Happy hunting. Whichever spa you choose, you won't know how you ever survived without it.

Diver, that's the perfect position for playing footsie! Are they your favorite seats because of the jets? I think most people find they use the jets for only a fraction of the time spent in the tub and the rest of the time just enjoy the warm water. So when the jets are off, you could snuggle side by side. Happy hunting. Whichever spa you choose, you won't know how you ever survived without it.

'TinyBubbles', I agree. Sitting with the jets off and enjoying the hot water can be done in any seat. :lol:

Your understanding of my question if right on. I have only one spot to put my tub between a concrete curb and a fence. I really don't want to put the cover on a different direction because of the view I have and for some privacy along the neighbors. (The fence is quite short.) As the cover is being opened I want to know the maximum amount of space it will take to clear the 18" or so between the tub and the fence. Also, sorry it takes me awhile to get back to you, I just can't get here everyday.

I guess I don't fully understand your question "soakittome"....Call me blond..Are you concerned about the total space needed to get the cover off and onto the side of the tub? Basically, folding one side over, then the entire cover off and onto the ground leaning on the tub? And the angle it would need to be at in order to do that??? Let me know and I can do the measurements for you.

BTW~ We had our first soak last night and everything was in perfect order. I would recommend filling it just above the fill line or else it will suge into the filter and make the water kindof swoosh around. The surround sterea system works great, but obviously can be heard better w/o the jets.

Get back to me with your questions and I'll try to clear things up for ya!

I will have my husband help me tonight so we can take the measurements while getting the cover off the tub. It really doesn't need much clearance, I would estimate about have the width of the cover itself. But I will get you specifics.

It has to need more than the width of the cover as it transitions from horizontal to vertical. It depends on the cover lift type but 18" or so is typical so unless you have noticeably more than that you really want to measure.