Need Help Deciding On Filter

f18fdg

I am replacing all of my pool equipment, new pump, filter and heater. My pool is 30years + and it has an old 60 sqft DE filter. The pool is around 20,000 gallons, kidney shaped - 25ft long, 10 and 15ft wide. I also have two black labs that love to swim and a lot of dust in the yard.

One contractor came to check out my antiquated system and suggested I use a Pentair 150sqft filter. I went to another store and he recomended a Hayward 425sqft filter but he did not come to check out the pool situation.

I am planning on getting a Whisperflo pump and a Hayward H series lo nox heater. I am not sure on the size of the filter. Pentair also makes some bigger filters. Since i have two swimming dogs and a dusty yard, which should be dusty for too long after some landscaping, should I get the bigger filter or will i be fine with the smaller one as the first contractor suggested?

I would like the smaller one since it is much easier to clean and wont be too expensive to replace the cartridges but I am afraid that with two dogs I will have to clean the smaller filter a lot. This means i should get the bigger filter but then I am afraid at the cost of having to replace all those cartridges.

Any suggestions...

I am replacing all of my pool equipment, new pump, filter and heater. My pool is 30years + and it has an old 60 sqft DE filter. The pool is around 20,000 gallons, kidney shaped - 25ft long, 10 and 15ft wide. I also have two black labs that love to swim and a lot of dust in the yard.

One contractor came to check out my antiquated system and suggested I use a Pentair 150sqft filter. I went to another store and he recomended a Hayward 425sqft filter but he did not come to check out the pool situation.

I am planning on getting a Whisperflo pump and a Hayward H series lo nox heater. I am not sure on the size of the filter. Pentair also makes some bigger filters. Since i have two swimming dogs and a dusty yard, which should be dusty for too long after some landscaping, should I get the bigger filter or will i be fine with the smaller one as the first contractor suggested?

I would like the smaller one since it is much easier to clean and wont be too expensive to replace the cartridges but I am afraid that with two dogs I will have to clean the smaller filter a lot. This means i should get the bigger filter but then I am afraid at the cost of having to replace all those cartridges.

Any suggestions...

Quad cartridge filters should not require regular replacement, but occasional cleaning. If your yard is always dusty you might consider fixing that first. No matter what filter type (sand, DE or cartridge) you select, you should buy a filter that can handle your gallonage. In fact, I recommend you over-engineer and buy a filter rated at a capacity higher than you require. Will cost more but should be longer-lived and require less maintenance/cleaning.

• 5 weeks later...

Any suggestions...

You mentioned you have 20,000 gallons pool. The suggestion you got for the 425 sqft seems a little too big for the size of pool. See here it has a good explanation of filter matching to pool size matching.

If you manage to get rid of the dusty yard, I would go for the Swimclear Hayward C2025. If the dusty yard is not going away any time soon, I would go for the Swimclear Hayward C3025. I prefer hayward, they are good quality and a little cheaper than Pentair.

For the Cartridges the difference in price between the ones for the 2025 and the 3025 is only $4 per cartridge. For the bigger 4025 the price is significantly higher. Based on all the above I think it would be better investment the C3025.

The Whisperflo PEN011516 pump is pretty good, but again, STA-Rite P6E6H209L is equally good but cheaper than Pentair and some time ago I think Pentair bought off STA-Rite, so they are basically the same company.

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion, for a 20,000 gal pool you cant go wrong with a hayward C1750. It is big enough for your pool and simple to clean, which usually takes about 3 minutes. The cost to replace the cartridge , which wont need to be done for 2-3 years would be around $100. I am a pool servicing contractor in Florida and ease of operation on Hayward cart. filters is second to none. They don't filter down like a DE filter but are better than sand filters.

• 2 months later...

The sand filter is a decent option. My question to you is: Why not use a newer D.E. filter? Not only will it filter better than the sand, the maintenance costs and efforts will be lower than cartridge filters. I service about 30 residential pools each week ranging from 5,000 - 40,000 gallons. Seven of these pools use sand filters and they perform as sand filters are expected to. However the others equipped with the D.E. filters stay so much clearer (even in the spring when we get KILLED with pollen).

If you backwash every couple of months, you won't need to wash your grids but every couple of years. Cleaning out those cartidges is such a pain compared to a quick backwash and throwing 6 lbs. of D.E. in the skimmer. That being said I would recommend the Jandy DEL 60, and not to sound like Jandy's putting money in my pocket, (cause they sure as hell arent) I'd go with the Jandy Stealth pump. I replace more Whisperflos than any other pump due to their durability issues. Yea, they run well for about a year, but after that they seem fall on their face. The Jandy has a huge haircatcher basket (easier vacuuming) and holds up better if they are ever run without water. Well, thats my opinion and its just like a butt...everyone's got one...I just thought I'd help out since I come into contact with these filters and pumps in such volume....let me know if you have any other questions..cheers