Hydrospa Heater Repair

ntrprize

The heater in my hydrospa does not seem to be working. This has happened one time before and was a faulty preassure switch.

Current symptoms are:

No heat light

No heat

All other functions working properly.

I think it is a Balboa HS200 pack.

Im thinking its the heater element, but can someone point me how to diagnose this?

Also, can the heater element be replaced? If so what kind and where do I get one?

I do have the ability to repair this myself, just need to know what needs replacing and where to get the parts.

Spa is a Lexxus and is OUT of warranty.

Thanks

Yep - could be a bad pressure switch - try turning the allen wrench adjustment screw that is in one of the holes on top of the pressure switch counter clockwise a 1/2 turn or so to see if that resolves it. If not have the pressure swuitch replaced. First be sure to check the water level or filter first to see if it is dirty, that will cause this to happen as well.

Hi,

I agree with "The Spa God" in that you should check the pressure switch. If you find this is fine, you asked how to diagnose whether the heating element is bad.

Im thinking its the heater element, but can someone point me how to diagnose this?

You can simply check for voltage across the heater elements terminals. On your specific balboa pack, the heater is a flow-through heater and the heater elements terminals are on the top side of the long cylindrical tube a little to the left of center while you're looking at it. The two terminals are posts that get their voltage from the board in the control pack.

Be very careful checking for voltage. Power must be applied to the tub when checking for voltage. If you're not comfortable with a multimeter or checking voltages, don't attempt this. If you have voltage, but the tub isn't heating, your heating element is most probably bad. A tub won't send voltage to the element if the pressure switch doesn't detect flow.

The next step is to disconnect the heating element from the terminals. Make sure you've turned off power to the tub. Using a multimeter, check the resistance across the two terminals. A reading of 9-12 ohms is normal. A bad heating element will often show infinite resistance.

Also, can the heater element be replaced? If so what kind and where do I get one?

Yes, the heater can be replaced. You can find exact replacement parts at many places, including SpaDepot and SpaPartsNet.

If you're not getting electricity at the heating terminals, post back and we can try diagnosing why.

Regards,

Ken

Im fine with checking voltages. I have a degree in Electronics from a trade scholl that I dont really use.

I dont have a wiring diagram, so what voltage am I looking for? AC or DC and is this going to be 240 volts? or is it stepped down trough a transformer.

Thanks

Hi,

You're looking for 240 volts AC at the terminals to the heater element. It isn't stepped down through a transformer.

Ken

Ok, I now know for sure it is the pressure switch. The only identifying mark on it is 36055***200412150027 and 1.25PSI.

I cant seem to find this on any spa parts sites.

Any suggestions?

Are you sure it's the pressure switch? Sometimes, the switch is working fine and it's telling you something. The pressure switch might not be detecting any pressure in the heating tube because flow is restricted. If you're sure your filters aren't clogged and there's nothing preventing flow - it might be the pressure switch.

I found a reference on the web which indicates that part 36055 was replaced by 3902. I can't be sure - I'm not familiar with your setup.

Pressure Switch Reference

Part Number 3902 pressure switches can be found at the site above, or here or here, or several other places.

Is this what yours looks like?

spp-3902.jpg

I pulled out the filter, so flow is good. I also felt the heat and ozone outlets and there seems to be decent flow with and without the filter.

I jumpered the terminals that go to the pressure swith and the heater went right on.

So Im thinking I need a new pressure switch.

I am going to call Hydro Spa tomorrow and see if I can get a part number. If I strike out there Ill have to pull it and take a picture of it.

It is black, and the electrical connections are on top and point straight up.

Thanks