Newby Looking At Spas

uglyhair

In shopping around I have found the JACUZZI and HOT SPRINGS spas to both appear to be really nice. For about $8500 or so, I could get a new one. Does anybody recommend one brand over the other?

Alternatively, in shopping for used ones, i can get either one of these brand names for about 1/2 the price and very new (year or so old). The savings is huge and i'm leaning toward pursing a used one. I would want to get a spa guy to look at it first and i know i'd have to eat the trucking/moving expense, but i'll still be a couple thousand ahead of the game.

Any thought or suggestions from the experts/long time owners is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Uglyhair

In shopping around I have found the JACUZZI and HOT SPRINGS spas to both appear to be really nice. For about $8500 or so, I could get a new one. Does anybody recommend one brand over the other?

Alternatively, in shopping for used ones, i can get either one of these brand names for about 1/2 the price and very new (year or so old). The savings is huge and i'm leaning toward pursing a used one. I would want to get a spa guy to look at it first and i know i'd have to eat the trucking/moving expense, but i'll still be a couple thousand ahead of the game.

Any thought or suggestions from the experts/long time owners is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Uglyhair

You're definitely not getting a warranty with either one. However, for a model only a year old, you're not losing much (if anything) in terms of features or lifespan, and you could save those thousands towards any future repairs you may need. It can be a good idea.

I'm curious as to where you can find a selection of year old name brand spas. Dealers occasionally have some, but to have a decent selection of late-model tubs is rare from what I've heard. If you're finding them on Craigslist or eBay, be careful, as many posters here have reported them to be scams.

As for Hot Spring and Jacuzzi, they're both premium brands with many supporters here & on other boards.

Cheers,

Uglyhair

You're definitely not getting a warranty with either one. However, for a model only a year old, you're not losing much (if anything) in terms of features or lifespan, and you could save those thousands towards any future repairs you may need. It can be a good idea.

I'm curious as to where you can find a selection of year old name brand spas. Dealers occasionally have some, but to have a decent selection of late-model tubs is rare from what I've heard. If you're finding them on Craigslist or eBay, be careful, as many posters here have reported them to be scams.

As for Hot Spring and Jacuzzi, they're both premium brands with many supporters here & on other boards.

We purchased a Jacuzzi J365 last week and the key is to wet test. That is what sold us on it. We have spent time in friends tubs and had a good idea on what features we were looking for. Just to sit in it does not give you an idea on how the jets feel. As a base line we paid 9500 cdn taxes in, lid, lid lifter and delivered.

Cheers,

Uglyhair

Well, I'm neither an expert nor a long-time owner, but I'm happy to share our recent experience with you in hopes that it is somewhat helpful. We found ourselves in a similar situation a few months ago, and would completely agree with D.P. - no warranty, but the money you can save to solve future problems will hopefully balance out - and looking at two quality tubs like you are, let's hope that there aren't too many problems from the get-go. We also paid someone who had a ton of experience to move the tub, which gave me more peace of mind.

That said, you'll need to figure out your stress tolerance level at the time of purchase - is it worth the money to you to not have to worry about any problems (or at least if there are problems, your dealer will deal with them instead of you)? Do you have a little extra time to 'iron out the wrinkles' that may come with a used tub? Overall, we're thrilled with our purchase (a two year old tub) - but it didn't come without a couple headaches. Luckily, too, we have found that local dealers have been really supportive and helpful (even a dealer that doesn't sell our type of tub - talk about above and beyond!) Best of luck to you!!