Totally Confused And Discouraged Newbie Needs Help!

sfoanna

Hi all,

I just moved into a house with a 1990 Hot Springs Prodigy spa. It has not been maintained for at least 2 or 3 months. It's full of live ants (under the cover) - and has probably been constantly infested for several years. There are also dead leaves floating around.

I would like to use this spa! But, I have very, very, very sensitive skin and I also have a 3 year old. So using a non-chlorine, non-bromine system is the way i'd like to go. From the often dubious info available on the web, I think Cleanwater Blue or 35% hydrogen peroxide is the way to go. I'd love to hear everyone's opinions!

I can't move the spa as a stone patio deck was built flush around it. I can trim the ivy climbing up the adjacent wall. Any suggestions for the ants?

I am getting a bit discouraged and seriously considering chucking the spa - so expensive and time-intensive to run and maintain, and a chemical soup!

Thanks everyone in advance!

Anna

This is advice from a homeowner who has had spas for awhile. I have city water if it matters. Drain the tub/or bail it out. Buy a new filter. Fill it up with fresh water. Decide which kind of sanitizer you want to use. I currently use bromine but have used dichlor. Honestly that's all I use, haven't had to use the up/down ph or the other additives they sell. I add fresh water to it pretty often,say some gallons every thre-four days. Leave the cover off a couple of days put it out in a dry sunny place hopefully they vacate the cover. My family has never had any rpoblems using stock sanitizers such as bromine/chlorine, you don't use all that much. Honestly a spa is 10 times as easy to maintain than a pool which I also have. It has a pool sized pump filtering only 200-300 gallons so it filters it much more often. Also you don't have the issue of stuff falling in. I never heard of the stuff you're planning to use, I got a bottle of bromine tablets and a floater from Lowes, but you can get spa stuff at many places including home depot/pool supply....

sfoanna,

Don't give up! It will be all worth it in the end. We have a Hot Springs Prodigy hot tub, and we just can't say enough good things about it. You have a good tub, work with it, and you will be soaking before you know it.

Perhaps you can call a Hot Springs dealer near you and ask for advice, I'm sure they will be glad to help a prospective customer.

BARRYRAY gave you some good pointers.

sfoanna,

Don't give up! It will be all worth it in the end. We have a Hot Springs Prodigy hot tub, and we just can't say enough good things about it. You have a good tub, work with it, and you will be soaking before you know it.

Perhaps you can call a Hot Springs dealer near you and ask for advice, I'm sure they will be glad to help a prospective customer.

BARRYRAY gave you some good pointers.

First.. call Orkin.. get rid of the ants.. after that use the spa.. you will love it. Ask your local pool and spa dealer about either soft soak by Bio lab or Baqua Spa. Those are both great options for a non-chlorine approach. Just make sure you follow directinos and dont cut corners on the system and it will work great.