Costco Platinum 2 Ozonator Problems

phanka

I have read with much interest all the recent post on problems people have encountered with this spa.

I had mine delivered in Dec 06 and have already experienced the LF and DR4 problem mentioned in an earlier post - the engineer cleared the problem by removing a 'build up of chlorine deposits in the ozonator'

Recently I have noticed that the ozonator has stopped producing bubbles into the water. Is this a cause for concern ?

The ozonator feels warm to the touch indicating that it is on and the panel on the spa shows o3 again an indication that it is working.

Anyone got any ideas what I could check ? Any help would be appreciated

This is from The Beachcomber web site.

The ozonator has been around the spa industry for about 20 years and misrepresented by many people as an acceptable form of water sanitization treatment. An ozonator actually produces a strong ozone gas that oxidizes the water and is harmful if breathed. In conjunction with an approved water treatment program, an ozonator can work to improve water clarity but there are too many negative long term drawbacks. For some reason our industry seems to over promise and implies that an ozonator does more that it was made to do for a spa, including disinfecting and killing bacteria, with out the use of any other sanitizer!

Every Beachcomber hot tub we build can accommodate an ozone generator, yet we do not personally recommend you use one. It has been our experience since 1978 that this piece of equipment doesn't stand up to the high standards of Beachcomber quality and our guarantee. Again it comes down to doing what's right. Why would we install anything in your hot tub that we wouldn't put in our own? At Beachcomber, we take your best interest to heart and we want your hot tub experience to be a safe one.

-You should be getting bubbles regardless of whether the ozonator is powered up or not. Your issue is a plumbing one, not related to the ozonator itself. I would first see if the issue is a clogged check valve.

-Beachcomber's top man has never been an ozone advocate so that info is not a surprise and you can take it for what its worth since they have to deal with other brands that are behind it. Ozone done properly is a great tool for water management.

From a service tech & former seller of Beachcomber my take on the reason BC does not endorse ozone is for the simple fact they have never took the time to design a proper mixing system for it to work effectively. All their system is, is tubing running from the injector straight down to the ozone jet. If they did some R&D and come up with a safe proven system like D1 there would be nothing but praise for Ozone. There are some good systems out there for Ozone but the majority of the set ups are junk.

One of the dealer here in town said they had no issues with fixing box store tubs. I think its a good way to build business trust. Maybe their next tub will be from there. If a dealer turned me away I wouldn't come back to his store ever again. A local automotive dealer recently refused to repair an american purchased vehicle here. Complained that if he wants service go to the US. I'll never purchase anything for this dealer. The same thing happen with my bow. I got it a fathers day gift during a trip to the US and had a small problem with it. The local dealer said go to the US. Well I am and I think most deleivery drivers know my house by heart. I'll tell you when I like a company or I think they have gone the extra mile they get my business and get alot of references.

-You should be getting bubbles regardless of whether the ozonator is powered up or not. Your issue is a plumbing one, not related to the ozonator itself. I would first see if the issue is a clogged check valve.

-Beachcomber's top man has never been an ozone advocate so that info is not a surprise and you can take it for what its worth since they have to deal with other brands that are behind it. Ozone done properly is a great tool for water management.

Thanks spatech

spoke to someone at Castle tubs who pointed me towards the check valve in my spa and after releasing the ozone tube (before turning off the ozonator since ozone is poisonous) and removing the clog from the valve at that point the bubbles started up again. The actual valve does have dark deposits in it so I ma planning to remove and clean it properly the next time I empty the spa.

Thanks to all for your comments

• 1 year later...
I have read with much interest all the recent post on problems people have encountered with this spa.

I had mine delivered in Dec 06 and have already experienced the LF and DR4 problem mentioned in an earlier post - the engineer cleared the problem by removing a 'build up of chlorine deposits in the ozonator'

Recently I have noticed that the ozonator has stopped producing bubbles into the water. Is this a cause for concern ?

The ozonator feels warm to the touch indicating that it is on and the panel on the spa shows o3 again an indication that it is working.

Anyone got any ideas what I could check ? Any help would be appreciated

The 'build up of chlorine deposits in the ozonator' usually happens when the Ozonator chip is no longer working. When the purple color in the window on the ozonator is no longer purple, this means you need to change your O3 chip.

Unless its been replaced before by someone, and I apologize for just skimming through while traveling, the Platinum II came with a UV ozone unit not a CD. A build-up of any kind that causes you any noticeable problem would be suspect in my book. The only real issues with those were if the hose fell below the water level and you GFCI started tripping. Due to mixing, general misunderstanding of how they work, bubbles being in your spa regardless due to the plumbing, most home owners dont know if they are working or not without a visual inspection of the light itself and even then do not know how much is actually in the water itself.

Normally my first question in regards to lack of bubbles, is do they return with the filters out? Has the hose fallen from his mount and the check valve is keeping the water out, but not creating the venturi effect?

I have had my ozone "port" as it is in the bottom of the Plattinum II in the floor drain seeam to slow way down if the filters are dirty at all. Dirty filters seem to not allow the bubbles to be produced and for some reason or when the water is near time for a change it seams that the bubbles dimenish in intensity. Every time I have drained and refilled the spa all works as it did when new and my Platt II tub is about two and a half years old.