Please Help -- Problems With Water Chemistry

Phillip

I have a 256 gallon spa equipped with ozone. I use the floating spafrog bromine/mineral system & non-chlorine shock. I check water weekly with the test strips & rarely have to adjust. I shock weekly with non-chlorine shock. After about 2 1/2 months, the water is clear but turns a distinct yellow color (much like urine) after shocking with the non-chlorine shock. Could I be shocking too much? What am I doing to create this problem? Thank you in advance for any assistance...I am a newbie and have had this spa for less than 6 months now.

Mac,

Thanks for the reply. There is no powerful smell coming form the water (my sense of smell isn't the greatest). But the water is clear yet pale yellow. I must admit, the times this has happened, I was using the shock container's cap to "measure" the amount of shock used -- just eyeballing it instead of measuring.

Phil

Hi there,

Is there a smell coming from the water?

How much NCS are you shocking it with?

I would be tempted to go over to chlorine if it persists, I think its more likely the bromine that is causing this, chlorine is easeier and cheaper.

Regards

Mac

I'll give it a try, Waterbear. I just refilled, so should I wait until it happens (the yellowing) before trying the metal sequesterant or are there other instructions I should follow?

Thanks,

Phil

If the yellow color is appearing after shocking I would suspect iron in your water. Try adding a metal sequsterant. If it's iron the color will go away.

I'll give it a try, Waterbear. I just refilled, so should I wait until it happens (the yellowing) before trying the metal sequesterant or are there other instructions I should follow?

Thanks,

Phil

If the yellow color is appearing after shocking I would suspect iron in your water. Try adding a metal sequsterant. If it's iron the color will go away.

Add it when you fill before the yellowing.