Ripped Liner Question

OH Maven

Hello,

I am a Newbie Pool Owner. We recently (as of 8/2/07) bought a house with an in-ground pool that is 40x20 and holds 30,300 gallons. Anyway, the liner (which is 8 years old) got a tear in the Right upper corner. It has a patch on it, but is starting to pull away from the side.

When should we put in a new liner? After pool season (Sept. 1st here in Ohio) or wait until next spring?

Thanks,

J

What till next spring theres no point putting the liner through a winter right off the start. Get it measured properly buy it at this years price and arrange for it to be ordered in March. Post a pic and Ill tell you the best way to save your liner so it doesnt rip anymore and last through the winter.

What till next spring theres no point putting the liner through a winter right off the start. Get it measured properly buy it at this years price and arrange for it to be ordered in March. Post a pic and Ill tell you the best way to save your liner so it doesnt rip anymore and last through the winter.

Thanks Pathfinder. I will take a pic this weekend. I also have questions about the vaccuming system.

We have a sand filter and I did see a vaccum hose and vaccum head in the Pool Box. From reading some of these posts, I have ascertained that perhaps I am able to hook it up to the pump or filter system? Currently, we have an Aqua Robot who does an "okay" job getting the bugs that float to the bottom, but I want my pool to look pristine clean.

I found a battery charged vaccum called "Pool Buster Max" that holds a 1 hour charage and works with all telescopic poles. The former owner told me that he didn't like messing with the vaccum system and that is why he bought the robot.

I also found a wench in the basement that once held a pool cover. The former owner didn't like using a pool cover because he said the bugs would drop into the pool, cause a bigger mess each time he rolled it up. I thought if I buy the Pool Buster Max, I could vaccum them off, then roll it up.

I really want to find a maintenance plan that is time efficent but does a decent job. I love cleaning/messing with the pool first thing in the morning because the clarity of the pool is so much better that time of day.

Pathfinder, could you tell me what your pool maintenance consists of ~ daily????

Jan

The steps to manually vac a pool is pretty simple. First make sure only your skimmer is running(turn of main drain or close equalizer). Second turn off your gas heater 3rd attach your vac to you pole. 4th attach your hose to the vac. Put in the pool. There are 2 ways to prime the hose 1st way is to bring the end out of the pool and put it infront of the return to fill with water(works well if the return is close to the skimmer)2nd way if find more reliable and less chances of air- being infront of the skimmer take your remaining vac hose and feed it into the pool in a downward motion (this forces out air and creates a syphon effect) keep feeding the hose down until the end.Water will start to come out you will then attach your vac plate and put it into the skimmer.(If you do not have a vac plate at step 1 also remove your skimmer basket) with hose only you will plug the hose into the hole with suction. Now you are ready to vacuum the pool. Once done vac you will return the pool to its normal operating state. After that is done you will go into the pump room or area turn off the pump, turn filter dial to backwash, turn pump on watch the site glass on the filter until the water turns clear. Once that is done turn the pump off and turn the filter dial to rinse turn pump on again, watch site glass until clear then turn pump off. Turn dial back to filter and turn pump on. You can then turn your heater back on. If your pool level is low when you start to vac you will want to run the hose during the vac process.

I find the "turbo vac gimmicky and not effective but thats my opinion.

Daily maintenance would consist of checking the waters ph & cl or br readings & vac if necessary. If your levels are good there isnt a whole lot to do. You dont want to start micromanaging your pool because thats when problems start. Like adding a bit of this and a bit of that everyday ends up becoming to much. Im a believer in testing pool water every couple days since nothing dramatic will happen unless it rains.