Help With Smell

cto1

Just purchased a ho tub and was given Brilliance chemicals by dealer. This is chlorine and bromine free. Seems to be working ok with keeping the water clear but even when test strips say sanatizer is low the chemical smell is terrible. Wife is very unhappy with smell and the way it makes her itchy. Any advice on any other chemicals available that you can not smell. Thanks

Just purchased a ho tub and was given Brilliance chemicals by dealer. This is chlorine and bromine free. Seems to be working ok with keeping the water clear but even when test strips say sanatizer is low the chemical smell is terrible. Wife is very unhappy with smell and the way it makes her itchy. Any advice on any other chemicals available that you can not smell. Thanks

Try a non-chlorine system like Pristine Blue or Softswim

The Brilliance chemicals I am using are suppose to be chlorine free. Are the 2 you reccommend a little easier on the senses?Thanks

Brilliance is a bromine system. They have a standard bromine tablet (which does contain chlorine) and the no chlorine 2 part system that uses MPS as an oxidizer. Bromine chemistry is different than chlorine chemistry and even if chlorine is used as an oxidizer in a bromine system you will not have chlorine in the water, only bromine so this is just marketing hype based on consumer ignorance of how bromine works. There really is NO difference in a bromine system whether MPS or chlorine is used as an oxidizer (except maybe on the pH stability of the water and unstabilized chlorine wins over MPS here).

Bromine does have a distinct chemical smell when compared to chlorine (which actually has very little odor when properly maintained!). Bromine is also a known sensitizer and many people do develop an allergic reation to it. MPS has been known to cause itching if it is overdosed in the water.

Brilliance is a bromine system. They have a standard bromine tablet (which does contain chlorine) and the no chlorine 2 part system that uses MPS as an oxidizer. Bromine chemistry is different than chlorine chemistry and even if chlorine is used as an oxidizer in a bromine system you will not have chlorine in the water, only bromine so this is just marketing hype based on consumer ignorance of how bromine works. There really is NO difference in a bromine system whether MPS or chlorine is used as an oxidizer (except maybe on the pH stability of the water and unstabilized chlorine wins over MPS here).

Bromine does have a distinct chemical smell when compared to chlorine (which actually has very little odor when properly maintained!). Bromine is also a known sensitizer and many people do develop an allergic reation to it. MPS has been known to cause itching if it is overdosed in the water.

Brilliance is also selling a chlorine system (dichlor) and a three part bromine system (standard tabs) now along with its 100% bromine granules. No chlorine or bromine free system though unless you count Baqua. Stating that one uses Brilliance chemicals now can mean more than what it once meant.

Brilliance is also selling a chlorine system (dichlor) and a three part bromine system (standard tabs) now along with its 100% bromine granules. No chlorine or bromine free system though unless you count Baqua. Stating that one uses Brilliance chemicals now can mean more than what it once meant.

Thanks--I think I will try the chlorine. If I use chlorine can I still use the Brilliance oxidizer as shock or does the chlorine do that also?

Just to clarify--I have one container labled Brilliance sanatizer and the other is labled Brilliance oxidizer. I am thinking from what I have read to just do away with the sanatizer and use chlorine instead.Is this correct.Thanks

Just to clarify--I have one container labled Brilliance sanatizer and the other is labled Brilliance oxidizer. I am thinking from what I have read to just do away with the sanatizer and use chlorine instead.Is this correct.Thanks

The Brilliance santizer is sodium bromide, the oxidizer is just MPS (non chlorine shock). the brilliance system is a two part bromine system and they are always a bit tricky to get right, IMHO.

3 part bromine systems (adding the sodium bromide on filling, shocking with chlorine and using bromine tabs in a floaters) is the easiest way to use bromine and often leads to a more comfortable bromine experience. Bromine is actually much easier to do in a spa than chlorine. Chlorine will require daily attention while a 3 step bromine system is much more forgiving of a few days of neglect.