Just Bought An Arctic -- Any Advice On What Else To Use In It?

Hello everyone --

I just bought an Arctic and had it delivered last week. My husband and I use it every day, for about an hour.

The owner of the business told me that I should use the following chemicals ONLY:

(I use a mircropure filter, by the way, with a Nature 2 mineral cartridge.)

1) Spa Essentials Spa Shock Xtra once a week

2) BaquaSpa Calcium Hardness Increaser as needed

3) BaquaSpa Alkalinity Increaser as needed

I've checked some information about the micropure filter, which indicates that there are many spa products that should NOT be used.

So far, I haven't had any problems, but its only been a week :blink:

Should I have anything else in my arsenal, just in case?

Thank you in advance for your time and kindness.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello everyone --

I just bought an Arctic and had it delivered last week. My husband and I use it every day, for about an hour.

The owner of the business told me that I should use the following chemicals ONLY:

(I use a mircropure filter, by the way, with a Nature 2 mineral cartridge.)

1) Spa Essentials Spa Shock Xtra once a week

2) BaquaSpa Calcium Hardness Increaser as needed

3) BaquaSpa Alkalinity Increaser as needed

I've checked some information about the micropure filter, which indicates that there are many spa products that should NOT be used.

So far, I haven't had any problems, but its only been a week :blink:

Should I have anything else in my arsenal, just in case?

Thank you in advance for your time and kindness.

I have followed up on this by PM.

• 2 weeks later...

I never got the PM from you Tom, but I've updated everything for my profile, so maybe it will work next time?

Anyway -- although I love the spa, I've already had to change the water once, and my water is starting to look cloudy after just two weeks.

When I changed the water (which is from a well), I ran it through a filter first. I adjusted the calcium and alkalinity, and have faithfully followed the instructions for the shock. I test the water each week, and it has been within the guidelines described by the spa franchise owner.

When I checked the "micropure" filter, it did seem to look tan, all the way to the center. Maybe from the well water?? Maybe I need to change the filter already, instead of wait the 3 months?

Or maybe I'm simply deluded in thinking that spa water should look sparkling clear?????

My husband and I use the spa about an hour a day, and we rinse ourselves off in a shower before getting in the spa -- no signficant residue, that I know of, is getting into the spa.

The spa is outdoors.

I wonder if I should just use a regular filter?

Does anyone else have any experience with a micropure filter?

Thanks again.

I never got the PM from you Tom, but I've updated everything for my profile, so maybe it will work next time?

Anyway -- although I love the spa, I've already had to change the water once, and my water is starting to look cloudy after just two weeks.

When I changed the water (which is from a well), I ran it through a filter first. I adjusted the calcium and alkalinity, and have faithfully followed the instructions for the shock. I test the water each week, and it has been within the guidelines described by the spa franchise owner.

When I checked the "micropure" filter, it did seem to look tan, all the way to the center. Maybe from the well water?? Maybe I need to change the filter already, instead of wait the 3 months?

Or maybe I'm simply deluded in thinking that spa water should look sparkling clear?????

My husband and I use the spa about an hour a day, and we rinse ourselves off in a shower before getting in the spa -- no signficant residue, that I know of, is getting into the spa.

The spa is outdoors.

I wonder if I should just use a regular filter?

Does anyone else have any experience with a micropure filter?

Thanks again.

First lets start with your spa water should be sparkling clean. It seems that Spa Essentials Spa Shock Xtra is a combination of non chlorine shock, flocking agents/clarifiers and dichlor (chlorine). Shocking with this once per week will yield cloudy water in most spas. You're simply not sanitizing enough for the use of your spa. Ozone and mineral sticks help, but you need a primary sanitizer. I would also suggest starting with a pleated filter and then try the micropure filter after you get the chemistry down if you like.

I prefer separate chemicals rather than a one chem does all. Non chlorine shock, dichlor, clarifiers and enzymes all can be purchased separately. No need to add everything all the time. Chlorine should be added every time you use the spa. Most add after use and you should add enough to bring your free chlorine level to 3 ppm. Shock with non chlorine shock once per week. Use clarifiers when your spa water has a haze to it that normal filtering just can't seem to fix. This is something you should not need to do often. I have used 1.5 bottles of clarifier in five years of owning my spa. Enzymes are optional but help keep soaps and oils under control and should be used as a regular weekly addition if you choose to use them. Of course, first balance your water so your pH and Alk are withing limits.

There is some good information regarding chlorine with Nature2 at www.rhtubs.com. Go to the message board and look for FAQ section. Once you get there look for Dichlor Dosing Vermonter Style and Northmans sanitizing routine. It is an excellent place to learn about proper spa water sanitation. Many dealers push the no chlorine line, but for most it just doesn't work. A little bit of knowledge will take you a long way.

Thank you so much for your response. I will check out the website and learn more about the proper chemicals to use.

:rolleyes:

We all have been through this learning curve. It will get a whole lot easier.

Been thinking about your routine and I think the only thing you really have to change is add regular dichlor (chlorine) after each use. You can use your Shock Xtra on a weekly basis until it is used up. After that you can either continue with the same product or use normal shock, etc.

Best of luck.

Just found this, will bookmark it for tomorrow. Sent another PM