Need Hydrotherapy Tub

CindyP

Hi, I'm new to spas. I have MS, which causes my blood to not circulate properly. I am thinking of buying a Sundance Solo spa to put in my bathroom. Any thoughts? Does anyone have one, and is it better to get a two-person tub. Is Sundance a good company, and if not, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi CindyP,

Happy to share my thoughts with you:

Sundance a good company? I think so, they have been around for a long time and are now owned by Jacuzzi. Many will argue which spa is better/best/their favorite, but Sundance is usually recognized as a top tier brand.

Installing in the bathroom? It's somewhat atypical to install a self contained portable spa in the bathroom. The portable spas are always on and heated, and therefore require an insulated top. These tops can be awkward to move. Therefore, they are usually not installed in smaller places. This can be mitigated with a hydraulic lifter, but you need room around the tub to manage the swing of the cover. These spas are typicaly heavy and they can also vibrate quite a bit, so you would need to make sure your floor can support them properly.

More typically one installs a "spa" bathtub in a bathroom. These are not always on, they get their primary heat when filled with warm water from your hot water heater. Some have heaters that only come on when you are using them to preserve the heat until you drain the water. They don't generally offer the power levels, variety of jet options, or depth of water that the portable spas offer. So, the spa bathtubs don't generally have the same level of "therapy" available as the portable spas, but they might be easier to use. It is also much easier to install grab bars and other assists around them since you don't have to deal with the need for a snug fitting insulated top.

One seater vs two seater? One of the most important things for you will probably be ease of entry/exit and mobility within the tub. This varies dramatically with the shape of the tub, the material of the tub (some are more slippery than others), the shape of the seats, the width of the sides, etc. A single seater may be easier for you to move in and around, since both sides would generally be in reach. On the other hand, a larger tub may have a step for entry. Also, a larger tub should offer more seating and jet options. Generally, it is the jets that determine the amount of "therapy" options. I find that larger spinning jets help my muscles the most, as they are most like an actual massage. However, I'm not sure what most impacts circulation. (You might try searching on MS forums/discussion groups and ask those users which type of spas/jets/maybe even air injection helps them them the most vs trying to determine from spa manufacturer's marketing material which will offer you the best therapy) (You may also need a larger or continuous water heater if you get a big bathtub spa)

Also, it's generally recommended to wet test spas that you are considering, as each spa will feel different (and different to different individuals) because of their varying geometry, jet combinations/style/size, etc. The wet test options is usually limited the portable spa dealers. However, I have seen some bathroom spa tub stores (like this one http://tubz.com ) which do offer the ability to wet test some of the tubs, and at least dry test the others.

Hope this helps. and hope I wasn't off base with the bathtub spa info.

Of course you weren't off base, and I can't tell you how deeply I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :wub:

The Solo is strictly a therapy spa. It is a spa seen more in sports teams training rooms than in residential homes. It may be the perfect spa for you, only you can tell. You will probably have a hard time seeing one in person. I don't think too many dealers will have one on the floor. As was mentioned above, a spa indoors needs special consideration. Good luck in your search.

The advice above is really good. If you decide not to go with an indoor hot tub, most people look at a jetted bathtub instead. The main drawbacks to those are A) You have to fill them each time you want to use them, B) Their jets & therapy are not nearly as good as a stand-alone hot tub, and C) Their plumbing can harbor bacteria (water sits in the pipes after you drain it).

I was looking at the same thing, and ran across a company called Sanijet. They make jetted tubs with jets & plumbing that can easily be removed for cleaning, & the therapy looks better than what one normally finds in a jetted tub. You might want to check them out.

• 4 months later...
Hi, I'm new to spas. I have MS, which causes my blood to not circulate properly. I am thinking of buying a Sundance Solo spa to put in my bathroom. Any thoughts? Does anyone have one, and is it better to get a two-person tub. Is Sundance a good company, and if not, suggestions would be greatly approciated.

Warmth and heat can exacerbate ms symptoms, as you probably know . . .you may want to weigh the pros and cons, and talk with your dr.

Warmth and heat can exacerbate ms symptoms, as you probably know . . .you may want to weigh the pros and cons, and talk with your dr.

I have no personal experience with this malady, and I hadn't heard that a tub could make it worse before. Would you say that this is the normal response, or does this happen with only some folks who have MS?

In either case, I suppose a good soak in the bath tub would let you know if hot water helps you personally, before you purchase a spa.

B)

I have no personal experience with this malady, and I hadn't heard that a tub could make it worse before. Would you say that this is the normal response, or does this happen with only some folks who have MS?

B)

Heat/Temperature Sensitivity in MS

From The MS Information Sourcebook, produced by the National MS Society.

Many people with MS experience a temporary worsening of their symptoms when the weather is very hot or humid or they run a fever, sunbathe, get overheated from exercise, or take very hot showers or baths. For example, some people notice that their vision becomes blurred when they get overheated-a phenomenon known as Uhthoff's sign. These temporary changes can result from even a very slight elevation in core body temperature (one-quarter to one-half of a degree) because an elevated temperature further impairs the ability of a demyelinated nerve to conduct electrical impulses. Myelin is the protective sheath that surrounds and protects nerve fibers. The destruction of myelin causes the formation of plaques-abnormal areas-on the nerves that slow nerve impulses and produce the symptoms of MS.

The 'Hot Bath' Test Used for Years to Diagnose MS

For many years, the "Hot Bath" test was used to diagnose MS. A person suspected of having MS was immersed in a hot tub of water, and the appearance of neurologic symptoms or their worsening was taken as evidence that the person had MS.

Symptoms Are Generally Rapidly Reversed

It is important to remember that heat generally produces only temporary worsening of symptoms and does not cause more actual tissue damage (demyelination or damage to the nerves themselves). The symptoms are generally rapidly reversed when the source of increased temperature is removed. People with MS who are planning to move to a very warm climate should try to visit first. Plans may have to be changed if the weather seriously worsens MS symptoms.

I hope this helps . . . .

It would seem that by using a hot tub, you could control the temp to what works best for your body. For many of us, the hotter the better. I had looked at the Solo by Sundance online and thought it would be perfect for the aches and pains of aging(now called fibromyalgia). Besides the therapy I had wanted a hot tub for some one on one time with my husband, so a one person tub was out. I would say that Sundance is a good co. and if you can actually find one you could sit in it or better yet wet test it. Give them a call and maybe they can either arrange to get one in or refer you to someone in the area that owns one and wouldnt mind you testing it out. This a huge investment so you should get what it is you want and feel comfortable with.

• 8 years later...