Frazzled, Confused, And Overwhelmed!

You are certainly welcome to your opinions but this part of your post is just not true in my opinion (and many others).

you forgot to add "IMO"

I covered that in my first sentence and we've covered all this so many times.

In the end you can stick to your opinion and I'll stick to mine. If your spa is still operational after 8 years or so (the high way point for a quality spa and boneyard time for a poor quality spa) then maybe it'll have been a good buy.

again you forgot" IMO"

the math dictates four years not eight. remember its ony half the cost of your spa :lol:

again you forgot" IMO"

the math dictates four years not eight. remember its ony half the cost of your spa :lol:

"If your spa is still operational after 8 years or so (the high way point for a quality spa and boneyard time for a poor quality spa) then maybe it'll have been a good buy."

Check your math again. Eight years is about half as long as a premium spa should last so if you an make 8 you'll be doing fine. If you only make it 4 you're not getting good value for your money. Of course you have to take into account what issues you have to deal with along the way.

again you forgot" IMO"

"If your spa is still operational after 8 years or so (the high way point for a quality spa and boneyard time for a poor quality spa) then maybe it'll have been a good buy."

Check your math again. Eight years is about half as long as a premium spa should last so if you an make 8 you'll be doing fine. If you only make it 4 you're not getting good value for your money. Of course you have to take into account what issues you have to deal with along the way.

worst case is return it to Costco for a full non prorated refund and get a new spa so eight years is guaranteed for the money put out and still would be half a " name spa" would be.

I am sure there are people that say the same about the Bowflex sold through Costco at 700 dollars somehow being inferior to the dealer sold Bowlflex at 1500.00 even though it is the same comparable machine.

I am sure there are people that say the same about the Bowflex sold through Costco at 700 dollars somehow being inferior to the dealer sold Bowlflex at 1500.00 even though it is the same comparable machine.

That example works if you're comparing your spa to the same spa sold at a Hydrospa dealer. I only jump in when you try to compare it (your Costco spa or a Hydro) to a Sundance, Hot Spring, Marquis, D1 and some other models that are superior (in many of our opinions).

Hey hey hey Seattle Mama --

I see your topic has dissolved into another

"Costco's GREAT" vs. "We're tired of hearing you preach" thread...

Oh well -- I think I warned you !

Here's the deal on this board --

you may find Soakerman ( he will preach endlessly about the value of tubs you can buy at COSTCO... )

At any rate, since I see you haven't checked in for a while

(who could blame you?)

I just want to WELCOME YOU AGAIN TO OUR INTERESTING FORUM and remind you please :

Don't give up (on your search or this communitiy).

There is a tremendous amount of knowledge here and everyone (-2) is anxious to help -- even "newbies" like yourself (!)

KEEP PLUGGING YOUR TOPIC and YOU WILL GET THE RESPONSE YOU NEED...

/ Good luck and here's to your future tubbin' (!)

Hey hey hey Seattle Mama --

I see your topic has dissolved into another

"Costco's GREAT" vs. "We're tired of hearing you preach" thread...

Oh well -- I think I warned you !

Here's the deal on this board --

you may find Soakerman ( he will preach endlessly about the value of tubs you can buy at COSTCO... )

At any rate, since I see you haven't checked in for a while

(who could blame you?)

I just want to WELCOME YOU AGAIN TO OUR INTERESTING FORUM and remind you please :

Don't give up (on your search or this communitiy).

There is a tremendous amount of knowledge here and everyone (-2) is anxious to help -- even "newbies" like yourself (!)

KEEP PLUGGING YOUR TOPIC and YOU WILL GET THE RESPONSE YOU NEED...

/ Good luck and here's to your future tubbin' (!)

or the one this dealer wants you to get :ph34r:

Maybe if I keep this post close to "the top," then readers will understand

why I changed my signature to "if we ignore HIM..." to

"if we ignore THEM..."

Please : if you are going to constantly hijack threads on your own behalf (SOAKERMAN)

at least do the research on who you PERSONALLY ATTACK.

My observation that "you constantly preach about the superiority of your own buying decision"

has been PROVEN by your attack on me.

Do you really want me to post the links to all my topics ?

Just to prove I'm an actual shopper ?

Just to reinforce the strength of my earlier comment -- that you will constantly hijack topics just to preach COSTCO COSTCO COSTCO?

Hello -- Moderators -- Anyone home ?

/ Advice to newcomers -- SEARCH on my username

/ Advice to newcomers -- SEARCH on SOAKERMAN

/ Make your own decision about who has an agenda and who is trying to

1. make an informed buying decision for a hot tub, OR

2. waste the time of all the readers here by constantly preaching about how smart HIS decision was...

[REGARDLESS OF THE TOPIC...]

/ "just my 2 cents worth"

• 1 month later...

Bringing a close to this thread...WE FINALLY BOUGHT A TUB!!!

Thank you SO much to everyone who has contributed to this thread, as well as all others that have been so fantastic in educating all of us newbies!!

So, I took all of your advice, the plethora of opinions, and educated myself as much as I possibly could (with the time left over after a job and 3 year old...) - and finally found a tub that I think matches ALL of my priorities!!! We ended up buying a used 2005 Caldera Geneva from the Utopia series!!! After electrical, delivery (we're going through a local company that specializes in moving spas...and the owner/mover used to deliver Calderas years ago - so he has been super helpful in getting the low-down on Caldera line), tub, cover, cover lift, steps, and a mess of chemicals it's going to run us $5,100!! Just in our budget - hooray!! And, I feel like we're getting so much more tub than we ever could have gotten if going brand new.

I am concerned a little about not having a warranty on the tub any longer (and can ANYONE explain why a warranty is not transferable??) - but figure that (as someone pointed out in another thread) the money that I have saved will allow us some extra to pay for things that may go wrong in the next few years. I also went into the local Caldera dealership and the woman I spoke to was LOVELY and very helpful - inviting me to call them if I ever need anything...so I feel like I still have dealer support...I'll just have to pay for it :)

I realized, too, that there were some questions about the Tiger River earlier in the thread - we did wet test it and I loved it - and it was on sale for $6895 (the 110 - the 220 was $7100) - but counting in the electrical and tax, it was just way too high for us - maybe next tub :)

So, tub is supposed to be delivered on Wed - I'll have to let you all know how it goes!! Thank you again for helping a newbie through this very confusing process!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, yes, ANOTHER person who is overwhelmed and confused by the plethora of choices surrounding a hot tub purchase!! Wow, for all of you who have gone through this and had troubles with your tubs from the get-go - my heart goes out to you!!!

First, I've read through many posts (for what seems like hours!) - and tried to gather advice from past posts so that I'm not repeating what many have already asked/said - but seems as though most have already narrowed their search down to two or so tubs and are asking for all of your advice.

My dilemma is that I've attempted to do the research with limited time (full time work/full time mom - eeks! Hence, the need for a hot tub!!) - and the more I do, the more confused I seem to get. Same song and dance as most of you...tough to get a straight opinion from anyone actually SELLING them!

Here are my top priorities:

* energy efficient

* good filtration (if I understand correctly, getting an 'ozonator' will decrease my need for chems, right?)

* can't go over $5000 (can I even get a decent system for that??)

* longevity - hoping to keep it for the next 10 years we're in the house (without replacing a pump every 6 months)

* sits 4-5 people

* don't need all the 'bells' - really, just a quality product I can soak in (I've seen the ones with the ipod plugins and disco lights - yowza! Maybe when I'm making more than a social worker's salary : )

Really, the above are my biggest concerns - and I've read a lot about the "costco" debate and definitely hear both sides. But, my bottom line is that if I can get more for my money at costco (without sacrificing quality concerning all of my priorities), then I'll go through them. But, if I can find a decent deal with a local dealer, I'm up for that, too (and would like the additional local support) - am I being naive?? I have to admit, I almost bought the latest costco craze (infinity) - but decided not to after hearing that the energy efficiency wasn't the greatest?? Lost opportunity?? I'm so confused!!

Please, all you kind hot-tubbers out there, help a seattle mama out. Let me know your favorite tubs, your wise advice, and most importantly, if I'm out of my mind thinking I'm going to get a quality tub for under $5000.

(and thank you all for contributing to this community!!)

Check out Tiger River, Coleman 100 series Cal Coop, Mabye a Dynasty from a good dealer.

• 1 month later...
Bringing a close to this thread...WE FINALLY BOUGHT A TUB!!!

Been away for a bit but while catching up noticed you'd taken the plunge -- congrats ! Notice you've subsequently posted some troubleshooting but just wanted to encourage you to post pics as well when all the kinks have been worked out...

/ Happy Tubbin'

My criteria sounds very similar to yours. I was able to pick up a brand new Tiger River Sumatran in late August for about $4400 delivered. This came from a hot tub &pool dealer, during a sale. Costco is geared towards consumables, not durable goods. Plus, I can walk into my dealer and ask a question anytime and get an answer.

It came with 6 months of chemicals, steps, top opener, etc. I prefer the lack of du-dads & gadgets and we have had 5 people in comfortably. I paid an electrician $300 to run a separate GFI circuit. I did the deck preparation myself, which took my about a month.

I realize there are much larger tubs out there, but this is my 2nd Hot Springs and I plan on my 3rd being a wooden round tub. We are much more concerned with the hot water and not the jets.