Marquis "plasma Cell" Uv Ozone System - Comments?

simmomi

I'm considering the purchase of a Marquis Limited 319S spa. If I follow through with the purchase, I would most likely want to get the ConstantClean UV ozone generator. I do understand that this is a PLASMA based system.

I wanted to hear from those who have any of the Marquis spas with this ozone system. Have you been happy with the system? How long have you had it? Had to replace anything with the ozone system yet? And most importantly, had any problems with it?

Again, making the assumption that I were to buy ANY tub, it is going to be installed in our basement, as I do not wish to spend the $$$ to upgrade/expand our deck to use the tub outdoors. Additionally, I think the wife and I would enjoy using it more with some privacy (our backyard is fully exposed to our street and other homes as we are on a corner lot).

With the idea that the tub would be installed indoors, are there going to be any issues to be concerned with if using an ozone generator system (ie...special ventilation that would be required, etc).

Thanks in advance. I have performed several search attempts on here to find more specific information re: to the Marquis ozone system, but have not found much information.

Regards,

Mike...

IMO I would never put a tub in a basement. I wouldnt get ozone if it was in a basement You will need to moisture proof your room its going in like take out the drywall and use aquaboard, cement board etc to prevent possibilty of mould. You will also need an extremely good air system. I have always suggested a 3 season porch or something similar.why put a tub in a dark room when you can enjoy the outdoors. Just my opinion

You might want to get some quotes on setting up the basement for the tub first. For example, as was just mentioned, you will need to be sure the area around the spa is sealed with drywall at least, but greenboard (drywall for wet areas such as bathrooms) would be better by far. If you have drywall already, and do not plan on ripping it out and replacing it with the greenboard, then at the very least you will need to put a heavy coat of semi-gloss or gloss paint with mildew inhibitor in it.

And then comes the ventilation - you must have forced air in a basement, or you will be putting moisture throughout your home. A de-humidifier might be ok, but AC would be better - a built-in system would be the best, but a window unit could be made to work. I have put in the largest bathroom fans I could find and not been satisfied. Now, I would only go with commercial power vents. You need a lot of air in a short period of time.

Add up all the costs of these items, and then consider a floor drain to cover the possibility of a spill or worse. Not possible to get a good drain? Then a sump and sump pump should be cut in, plumbed in and powered with a battery backup.

Then compare that to a slab in your yard or small wood deck.

Some tubs can be set on a bed of crushed rock or pea-gravel. That could be less than the price of good paint for the basement...

HTH

B)

Chas and Pathfinder brought up some excellent points in regards to placing the spa in your basement. We were at first going to do the same but because of ventilation issues decided against it. So we placed our spa in our garage (we have a big garage). No, not the most picturesque setting but we did spiff up that area in the garage and sectioned it off with a divider. It is enclosed but we have a window, two big garage doors and a back door that we use for ventilation when we use the spa. We have never had problems with mold or mildew. There are times when I wish we had it outside so could look at the stars, etc. but at other times, especially during inclement weather (we have bad winters here) and for privacy we are glad that it's indoors. If we were to do it over again I think we would locate it to the the back yard and look at gazebo options. We may still do that - after all it's a "portable" spa! :)

As for the spa itself, it so happens that we have a Marquis Epic. We love it, it has open barrier-free seating but we mainly purchased it for the therapy it provides from neck all the way down to the toes! Plus Marquis really stands by their product - we found this out first hand. We originally purchased a 2005 Euphoria (new). For the year that we owned it we continued to experience problems (no leaks or anything - just annoying repeat promblems primarily with having to keep replacing the pumps). We brought this to the attention of our dealer who contacted Marquis. Marquis bought back the Euphoria and gave us a new 06 Epic, loaded with all options, no questions asked. We have owned the Epic for a year now and are enjoying the good life (problem-free) in Spatopia! :wub:

We do have the ozone and never had a problem with it in the Epic. We did have to replace it in the Euphoria (the bulb wasn't lighting - it was under warranty so there was no charge to us). Our water is always clean and clear and we never had a problem with water quality. We do check and maintain on a weekly basis, we use Brilliance (bromine) and we really like the results. I'm sure the ozone helps but then again we have never owned/maintained a spa without one.

wouldn't the Ozone break down the Chlorine if you use that for sanitizer? I have heard that from Hydrospa and also the local dealer. I guess it depends on which system you use to maintain your spa as to wether ozone is a beneficial component. Waterbear is a excellent source on this board for that info.

Thank you ALL for the GREAT feedback! This is exactly the kind of information I wanted.

I do sincerely appreciate everyone being upfront on the issues with placing a unit in the basement. I had wondered early on if there would be potential issues, but someone had lead me to believe that simply using a dehumidifier would be satisfactory. Glad I didn't only rely on that advice!

I did measure my existing deck, and it would be large enough as is to install a 319S tub. I would want it reinforced, but size wise, it would be OK. My wife's biggest problem with placing on the deck is the privacy issue. As I mentioned before, we live on a corner lot, so our back yard is not at all private.

I wonder how difficult it would be to get some sort of gazebo, or other type of cover that would provide some privacy when using the unit. I'd be curious to hear from anyone on that.

Again, thanks for the EXCELLENT advice. I'm soooo glad I found this board!

Best to all of you...and happy tubbing! :)

Mike...

Go Go Go...

The REAL SPA ENTHUSIASTS here just love to see someone "get their tub a goin'...."

Here's some recent discussions you may want to review:

-- Outside/Inside ?

-- Ventilation requirements ?

Here's an earlier thread [ caveat : I haven't read this one... ]

and here's a great visual documentary : IndyBob's installation...

One other "historic" post you might want to review...

-- a little tent job (with pictures...)

And -- incidentally -- I agree wholeheartedly with PATHFINDER. I'm building a rather large structure myself -- part of a deck addition to my home. In every way I can, I'm controlling the building (and the SPENDING) by just doing what I need to -- next year [or later ] I can always GO BACK and build upon the foundation I've created...

/ Good Luck

/ Happy tubbin'