The Wet Test

Mr. Ed

I see your point about similar tubs (up to a point), but I want a round tub, which is really different from the much more common square tubs with contoured seats. The Beachcomber dealer, who doesn't want to fill a Beachcomber 320x for me, wants me try one of his square tubs. I don't think so!

Thats also a good point. I dont think I will fill the round tub to wet test because it is pretty basic. You get a good idea what it would be like because it is bench style seating very basic.

Thats also a good point. I dont think I will fill the round tub to wet test because it is pretty basic. You get a good idea what it would be like because it is bench style seating very basic.

I guess he's not going to be buying from you then.

for as many thousands of bucks as Ihad to lay out for my tub, I'd advise the prospective buyer to forget the dealer who won't set up the tub(s) that he wants to wet test.

Gimmee a break!!!!! :blink:

for as many thousands of bucks as Ihad to lay out for my tub, I'd advise the prospective buyer to forget the dealer who won't set up the tub(s) that he wants to wet test.

Gimmee a break!!!!! :blink:

The customers coming in nickle and diming I dont like to bother with because I found the problems with in the past. A round tub from California Coop is 4,000 dollars with 11 jets, what do you expect. On the other hand if they want any of our performace series alot of them are similar and I can accomidate a wet test or the ultimate series which we can also accomidate. For the lower end it doesnt pay for me to set it up. I dont want to sound harsh but there is alot of work involved and doesn't pay. Most customers are by referal and buy from us anyway and in a rare case I will set up.

The customers coming in nickle and diming I dont like to bother with because I found the problems with in the past. A round tub from California Coop is 4,000 dollars with 11 jets, what do you expect. On the other hand if they want any of our performace series alot of them are similar and I can accomidate a wet test or the ultimate series which we can also accomidate. For the lower end it doesnt pay for me to set it up. I dont want to sound harsh but there is alot of work involved and doesn't pay. Most customers are by referal and buy from us anyway and in a rare case I will set up.

$4,000 tub with 11 jets, what do I expet? I would expect the same service as a customer wether I was looking at the high end, or low end of what you have to offer. That is a poor attitude you have and I'm suprised your still in business.... Guess you never learned the basics of customer service.

$4,000 tub with 11 jets, what do I expet? I would expect the same service as a customer wether I was looking at the high end, or low end of what you have to offer. That is a poor attitude you have and I'm suprised your still in business.... Guess you never learned the basics of customer service.

Only 36 years in service and I have seen alot of different people. It doesn't pay to fill up a tub run a line wait for it to heat to empty the tub again, and that is why we have 1 performance series and 1 ulitmate series because the seats are so similar. As for the lower end spa's you get what you pay for. ;)

Your absolutely right. It shouldnt matter wether you come in to buy an $12.00 bottle of bromine or a $9500.00 spa you deserve the same good service in my opinion.

Ya but whats funny is he gained 6 years experience since our discussion about water chemistry a week ago. :D

We are obligated to take care of our customers. That is how we have stayed in business since 1973. I would rather deliver the tub to find out they wanted a better model than fill a tub just for one customer to use once. I would take back a model like costco to upgrade for a better one, than go through that trouble when there are other many other things to concentrate on to say the least. ;)

We are obligated to take care of our customers. That is how we have stayed in business since 1973. I would rather deliver the tub to find out they wanted a better model than fill a tub just for one customer to use once. I would take back a model like costco to upgrade for a better one, than go through that trouble when there are other many other things to concentrate on to say the least. ;)

You men to tell me its a bigger pain to fill it in the store than to haul it to their house, fill it, do a startup then haul it back?

What your forgetting is that customers like myself would never give you the opportunuty to bring it out because I would not purchase a spa without trying the spa that I was going to purchase and I mean the model that I wanted not a model in the same series.

If you feel that is to much of a pain then you wouldnt deserve my business in my opinion.

You men to tell me its a bigger pain to fill it in the store than to haul it to their house, fill it, do a startup then haul it back?

What your forgetting is that customers like myself would never give you the opportunuty to bring it out because I would not purchase a spa without trying the spa that I was going to purchase and I mean the model that I wanted not a model in the same series.

If you feel that is to much of a pain then you wouldnt deserve my business in my opinion.

Yeah to be honest I would take the chance and if they didn't want it I would than demo it.

I hate to be the one that says this, but BRulan soundl like a smart business man to me. Why should he fill every single tub, start it up, and pay to keep it hot for someone that may not even be a serious customer? That cost him money and dome poepl may have missed business 101 but he point is to make money. Keep the overhead down and profit up. Kudos to you Brulan for being smart. So many people here only see things through the consumers eyes where they want everything for nothing. It doesnt happen. At least in the case of where Brulan needs to exchange a tub, he knows that they are buys not dreamers. I have sold cars before so I can relate. You have to qualify your customer. I know that this sounds horrible but its reality and some people here need to open their eyes to that. Of course this is how BRulan has probably stayed in business for so long.

I hate to be the one that says this, but BRulan soundl like a smart business man to me. Why should he fill every single tub, start it up, and pay to keep it hot for someone that may not even be a serious customer? That cost him money and dome poepl may have missed business 101 but he point is to make money. Keep the overhead down and profit up. Kudos to you Brulan for being smart. So many people here only see things through the consumers eyes where they want everything for nothing. It doesnt happen. At least in the case of where Brulan needs to exchange a tub, he knows that they are buys not dreamers. I have sold cars before so I can relate. You have to qualify your customer. I know that this sounds horrible but its reality and some people here need to open their eyes to that. Of course this is how BRulan has probably stayed in business for so long.

Your right and if you have the experience you know to qualify your customers first but let me ask you how many cars would you have sold if the customer asked you can I hear iy run and you said well I cant start this one but step over here nad I'll start up this Volkswagen for you?

I would'nt expect him to fill every spa either. but if it was a really serious buyer he would'nt do himself any harm by filling one spa up temporarily. Customers do expect you to go the extra mile these days and if you do'nt they will find someone who will, and tell their friends where to by their next spa from.

Who said "fill up every tub"? What I had issue with was the "we give big $$$ people one type of service, and we give small $$ folks another type of service. To take a tub to their home, install it then have them not like it, but you will give them full credit on a more expensive tub is no good deal. At that point you've got them on the hook for $4,000 plus whatever else they would then have to pay you to be satisfied.. Doesn't sound like your doing anyone any favors but yourself. Most dealers have 'demo' spa's on their floor unless your a small time or beginner dealer. If you've been in service for 33 years I'd think you would be able to have one small demo available, but as you said you don't want to waste your time with those folks.

Who said "fill up every tub"? What I had issue with was the "we give big $$$ people one type of service, and we give small $$ folks another type of service. To take a tub to their home, install it then have them not like it, but you will give them full credit on a more expensive tub is no good deal. At that point you've got them on the hook for $4,000 plus whatever else they would then have to pay you to be satisfied.. Doesn't sound like your doing anyone any favors but yourself. Most dealers have 'demo' spa's on their floor unless your a small time or beginner dealer. If you've been in service for 33 years I'd think you would be able to have one small demo available, but as you said you don't want to waste your time with those folks.

So what he is really doing is a"Bait & Switch", sell them a tub he knows they will not be happy with so he can move them into a more expensive model.

A spa with the same jets, same amount of jets, same pumps, same controls, same features, same seatin arrangement BUT a different size would test very much the same as another one. Of course if someone wanted to test a specific spa... I'd work it out somehow. I would certainly ask if it is ok with them to test a spa with the exact same features but a different size first. If that isn't ok, then why not hook up a specific one for them?

I think it's kindof funny... so many spa companies boast of such low-cost operational efficiency but when it comes to setting up a spa or providing some type of wet testing... the almighty dollar shows up and weighs heavily in their pocket.

I can understand that it costs a bit to hook up a spa and get it going but it's not really THAT bad to do one or two upon the rare occasion someone would feel more comfortable trying the exact one if it's feesable. Of course if you think about it, say a company has 20 or so different models... if every single person that walked through the door wanted to test the specific model that they wanted... you can see how this could add up and be difficult to do. A full time job would be required to just set up and tear down spas for the day. Talk about overhead! I don't think this would make sense business-wise either. If people think spas are expensive now.. this would more than likely lead to a big markup just to constantly provide this type of service.

The fact is, most people are flexible, most companies should be too.. but there has got to be a happy medium in here somewhere. I agree with the fact that a company should do their best to help a spa shopper know what they are gettng into.

Amanda is right on, there is a balance on both sides to figure it out.

I went in to wet test a Sundance Optimus. The several store retailer in the Pgh market has water in all the same Sundance models in all there stores, the Maxxus (bigger and $$$$), the Bahia and Cameo. I made the best of the situation, if the Maxxus wasnt good enough, Id know the Optima wasnt either. Since the Maxxus past the test, the Optima was still in the running. My concern was that the extra pump the maxxus may have made the difference in the test. I said Id still need to try the Optima because it wasnt the same regardless of his explanation about the small 3rd pump. He said he would fill it for me but it would take a day or two to set up, no problem. But as I got out of the tub, I saw the filled Bahia and thought, if that has less pumps than the Optima, and it is good enough for me, then he wont have to fill it up. The Bahai was great, I told him I was all set and didnt need to fill up the Optima.

Retailers need to run there business, the guy knew I was a serious customer so maybe thats why he offered. But I dont blame Brulan for his position, he needs to stay in business for himself and the people who work for him, its his choice.

A spa with the same jets, same amount of jets, same pumps, same controls, same features, same seatin arrangement BUT a different size would test very much the same as another one. Of course if someone wanted to test a specific spa... I'd work it out somehow. I would certainly ask if it is ok with them to test a spa with the exact same features but a different size first. ...

Amanda, I sure like your take on this issue. I can certainly understand the potential hassle for dealers to fill and drain lots of different tubs. On the other hand, I'm a spa customer shopping for a tub right now, and just crossed Coleman spas off my list due to the dealer telling me that there was no way he'd fill the tub I was interested in (he had one on the floor, right next to a filled tub). The ones with water in them were substantially different from the one I was interested in.

When I wet-tested a Caldera tub it was not the one I was interested in, either, but it had the same lounger and the same basic seating style; it was simply larger. That seemed OK to me, although if my final choice is between that tub and another I'll probably ask him if he will fill the actual one I want so I can make sure (I've learned a lot about peculiarities of loungers from reading posts here!). I suspect he will do it. He seemed reasonable, and he seemed very interested in selling a tub.

But that Coleman dealer ... He seemed not to care that he totally lost any possibility of a sale. I wanted to ask him what he would do if he was thinking of buying a Dodge Neon, but the dealer told him he could only test drive a Caravan or a Magum. Hey, what's the difference? They all have engines, seats, and a steering wheel in about the same place, right?

Craig Haggart

Sunnyvale, California