Little Brat Poops In The Pool

itabb

Ok, so one of my son's little 4 year old friend's comes over to swim. For some reason, my wife lets that brat swim without a swim diaper. His mother claims he has been potty trained for a month. OMG, a month! wow, amazing. So the kid gets out of the pool, craps his pants, smiles at my wife, and gets back in the pool. My wife thinks he did this, but doesn't stop the kid going back in. I have no idea why. She tells the brat's mom what happened, but she says no way. No one thinks to check and verify, for the safety of their own children. Bunch of women. Then, after all this, and the brat leaves, finally my wife calls me and says she thinks the kid swam in the pool half an hour with a bathing suit full of poop. We wouldn't want the mother's offending each other over just a little bad parenting or anything.

I get home, I find a little turd in the spa. So I remove it and shock the hell out of the spa. I check the CDC website on the pool. It says at 2FC, I can just leave the pool alone and it is usable in 25 minutes. I have 6FC. So I add a gallon of chlorine (+5ppm) and I set the SWG to superchlorinate. I would have brought the pool to 20 if I had enough bleach on hand. Do I need to get the pool to 20 or am I overdoing it already?

PS. My wife is beating herself up over it, so I get a little payback for the inconvenience.

Ok, so one of my son's little 4 year old friend's comes over to swim. For some reason, my wife lets that brat swim without a swim diaper. His mother claims he has been potty trained for a month. OMG, a month! wow, amazing. So the kid gets out of the pool, craps his pants, smiles at my wife, and gets back in the pool. My wife thinks he did this, but doesn't stop the kid going back in. I have no idea why. She tells the brat's mom what happened, but she says no way. No one thinks to check and verify, for the safety of their own children. Bunch of women. Then, after all this, and the brat leaves, finally my wife calls me and says she thinks the kid swam in the pool half an hour with a bathing suit full of poop. We wouldn't want the mother's offending each other over just a little bad parenting or anything.

I get home, I find a little turd in the spa. So I remove it and shock the hell out of the spa. I check the CDC website on the pool. It says at 2FC, I can just leave the pool alone and it is usable in 25 minutes. I have 6FC. So I add a gallon of chlorine (+5ppm) and I set the SWG to superchlorinate. I would have brought the pool to 20 if I had enough bleach on hand. Do I need to get the pool to 20 or am I overdoing it already?

PS. My wife is beating herself up over it, so I get a little payback for the inconvenience.

Based on my experience and best practices I have seen in the four or so countries I have been in I would definitely raise the pool to 20 ppm and close if until the chlorine falls to reasonable levels.

HTH

I have a firm policy with my pool. If your kid is in diapers he/she is too small to get in my pool regardless. First of all, it's dangerous no matter how well supervised the baby is. Second, for that reason alone. Babys are "**** and piss generators" and why would you let that in your pool?

That is my opinion, but I could be wrong.

My opinion, if you don't wont to pay for a babysitter........don't have the damn baby.

The CDC recommendations are with NO CYA in the pool. 2 ppm FC with no CYA is equivalent to 20.5 ppm FC with 30 ppm CYA in terms of disinfecting chlorine (hypochlorous acid) level and rates of killing pathogens. So the recommendations given above about shocking are appropriate if you want to recover your pool more quickly (i.e. in the 25 minutes the CDC describes). Now in reality, if you remove any physical material and measure your chlorine levels to find no CCs and have stable FC (if not exposed to sunlight), then the odds are good that even with CYA you will have killed any "easy-to-kill" bacteria in a matter of a few minutes. The CDC recommendation of 2 ppm FC for 25 minutes is to achieve a CT value of 50 WITH NO CYA which is true overkill for easy bacteria (0.04 - 0.08 CT) and is about right for the bacteria Pseudomonas aeruginosa that causes hot tub itch (30-50 CT) and for the protozoan Giardia cyst (42 CT), and is nowhere near able to combat the protozoan Cryptosporidium cyst (7200 CT). It is very unlikely that such cysts (the last two items I listed) are introduced into the pool unless the child is sick with these intestinal illnesses.

If it were my pool, I would shock regardless of the rate of pathogen kill (probably just to an FC amount that is half the CYA amount), just to ensure that I oxidized as many organics as possible and I'd expose the water to sunlight to speed up that process. I'd probably go back in as soon as the FC dropped to 10 ppm from sunlight exposure, but that might take most of the day. If it were a really hot day, I might jump in after an hour even with the shock levels of chlorine. It's not much different than swimming in an indoor pool with no CYA in it.

Oh man, so if that brat does it again after I get my CYA to 80, I would want to raise my FC to 40!!! I'll run out of bleach, then run out of titrate!!! That does it, anyone under 25 wears a swim diaper!

Thanks again.