Dichlor Vs. Cya Conditioner

itabb

At Leslies, an 8lb box of CYA conditioner is $36. An 8lb box of Chlor Bright, which is Dichlor, is $27. If I wanted to raise my 10,000 gallon pool by 30ppm CYA, wouldn't it be better to use 2.7lbs of Dichlor (maybe over 2-4 shocks) than CYA conditioner? with Dichlor, I basically get the CYA with a free dose of chlorine.

It takes 40 ounces (2.5 pounds) of Cyanuric Acid (CYA) to raise the CYA by 30 ppm in 10,000 gallons. It takes 79.4 ounces (almost 5 pounds) of Dichlor (dihydrate) to raise the CYA by the same amount, plus you add about 33 ppm Free Chlorine (FC). So it takes about twice the weight of Dichlor to get the same CYA level as from Cyanuric Acid directly. So given your prices, the CYA is more economical, BUT if you have to buy an 8 pound box, then the Dichlor is cheaper.

Remember, you erosion style chlorinator (if you have one) uses stablized TriChlor Tablets. It's been my experience that this brings my CYA levels up pretty fast as well. Take that into account if you use Trichlor

Jerry

For every 1 ppm FC introduced by trichlor it will also introduce .6 ppm of CYA. For every 1 ppm FC introduce by dichlor it will introduce .9 ppm CYA. Since the original poster has a SWG and does not use trichlor but was comparing the price of Dichlor vs CYA to get CYA levels to the proper range for a SWG your answer really is not relevant.

considering that most people use an erosion type chlorinator even if they state it or not makes it legitimate dumbass. Considering most erosion chlorinators use Trichlor that make is evem more legitmate of a response. Hey dumbass, if 10 ppm is the new norm according to you then why is the CDC still recommending 1-3 ppm. I think you better call that group of highly educated doctors and health experts and give them your expert opinion!!! LOL............what a dumbass.

Oh, the only time the CDC ever recommends higher than 3 ppm for pools is when someone has a case of liquid shits in the pool. They recomment 20ppm but stress VERY HEAVILY to not go back into the pool until the FC is down to THEIR acceptable level. Which is, by the way, 1-3ppm.

Shove your CPO up your over disinfected butt................................CDC trumps CPO any day.

considering that most people use an erosion type chlorinator even if they state it or not makes it legitimate dumbass. Considering most erosion chlorinators use Trichlor that make is evem more legitmate of a response. Hey dumbass, if 10 ppm is the new norm according to you then why is the CDC still recommending 1-3 ppm. I think you better call that group of highly educated doctors and health experts and give them your expert opinion!!! LOL............what a dumbass.

Oh, the only time the CDC ever recommends higher than 3 ppm for pools is when someone has a case of liquid shits in the pool. They recomment 20ppm but stress VERY HEAVILY to not go back into the pool until the FC is down to THEIR acceptable level. Which is, by the way, 1-3ppm.

Shove your CPO up your over disinfected butt................................CDC trumps CPO any day.

Wrong organization. EPA is the government entity that has jurisdicition over swimming pool sanitizers, not the CDC. REcommended levels are determined by individual state health departments.

You use of foul language really speaks for itself to your ignorance.

I was reading somewhere, I think the state of California guidelines, that a minimum FC is 1 and there is no maximum, though it recommends closing the pool if the FC goes above 40ppm (or something very high). Not that I am any kind of expert or anything.