Siting Of A Spa - Is Gravel Acceptable?

Hi,

We're about to by a D1 spa and are currently looking at the landscaping requirements for siting it. Initially we'd considered extending out block paving patio to suit but with time and money against us this is not looking feasible. My friend has an Agean Spa which is sited on hardcore then gravel and is most satisfactory. I have spoken to Arctic Spas at a show at the weekend and they say compacted gravel is a popular choice too. They said that I need to check the warranty terms with D1 as some may have exclusions for non contiguous substrates such as gravel etc.

I am going to talk to D1 & my dealer but am interested in hearing opinions from the learned masses too.

The thought is to lift an area of the existing block paving and dig out area of lawn. Fill with compacted hardcore then layer of gravel on top. There would be a retaining wall around to prevent the lot from shifting etc.

Thoughts?

Simon

Hi,

We're about to by a D1 spa and are currently looking at the landscaping requirements for siting it. Initially we'd considered extending out block paving patio to suit but with time and money against us this is not looking feasible. My friend has an Agean Spa which is sited on hardcore then gravel and is most satisfactory. I have spoken to Arctic Spas at a show at the weekend and they say compacted gravel is a popular choice too. They said that I need to check the warranty terms with D1 as some may have exclusions for non contiguous substrates such as gravel etc.

I am going to talk to D1 & my dealer but am interested in hearing opinions from the learned masses too.

The thought is to lift an area of the existing block paving and dig out area of lawn. Fill with compacted hardcore then layer of gravel on top. There would be a retaining wall around to prevent the lot from shifting etc.

Thoughts?

Simon

I have seen tubs of many brands sitting on gravel that were fine for many many years. And I have seen tubs sitting on gravel that were not and had major problems because of it. No one can answer this as it may be just fine but it also may settle and shift and break something. Pavers would be better, somekind of wood or plastic base would be better and concrete would be the best. Ask D1 first.

Im' getting a spa delivered in 2 - 3 weeks and am curious about this as well. I am going to be building a deck around the spa at the height so I am not particularly concerned about aesthetics of the substrate. From what I have read and understand, I can just dig 2 - 3 inches down and put down 2 - 3 inches of gravel, leveled.

Does that sound acceptable?

I have now spoken to the dealer and he is happy with my idea. However it must be stressed that gravel alone is not acceptable - it shifts about too much. The gravel is purely decorative. You must put a decent base of compacted hard-core down first which will prevent it all sinking or shifting about.

Essentially the gravel is there as a finisher, not to support it.

Simon

If you can afford concrete, it's the way to go.

If you don't want to do that I'd recommend pavers or this: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5301138

I've talked to people who only compressed the dirt and then put down pea type gravel before putting the hot tub in. They were happy and it seemed to work, but I'd always be worried about any unevenness.

We just dug out 6" and used 4" of 1/4 inch gravel and 4" (give or take) of Stone Dust. Packed in down like a MOTHER then placed some real nice patio stones. We live in Canada and were worried about temp changes causing shifting as well as regular settling.

We went thru the same questions. We assumed we'd go the cheap route and go with gravel. After checking around we found that DELIVERING enough gravel to do the job was more expensive than the actual gravel. It was going to run us about 1,000 bucks go 10 x 10 by eight inches. We looked into concrete and lucked out.

We got a 10 x 10 by 8" slab with rebar....poured professionally for $750 U.S. It really worked out because the guy was pouring a foundation a street away.

I'd suggest looking into this route. We had a month to get the job done from the time we signed until it was delivered but made it happen.

A couple of pics are included of the job. One with the pour (rebar being placed after the first four inches poured) the other with the spa being delivered on a SOLID pad that ain't going nowhere.

Give it consideration.

rebar.jpg

slab.jpg