cal hypo

So i have a large 5 or 10 # box of HTH cal hypo I received when i bought the tub. I think the delivery guys may have had a side gig , i dont know, bought it and extra filter. I thought it was dichlor at first then looked. I have been using liquid vetrexx 12.5% which i have to say is easy and pretty much know what my FC will rise to with however much i use. Just wondering if i should tap open this box and use it until its gone or until my calcium levels start to spike and then back to bleach. Kind hate to toss it. Is there any advantage of using it other than its a lot stronger so it may only take a pinch at a time. Any other buildup to be noticing. From what i see it may mess with ph unlike the bleach. If i wouldnt have it or knew anyone with a pool that used it I wouldn't even consider it over using the liquid.

• 5 weeks later...

cal hypo will add 7 ppm for every 10 ppm of chlorine added. If you initial calcium hardness is not too high it's fine to use until our CH climbs to around 400 ppm, then switch to bleach until your next drain and fill (which should be done every 3 to 4 months). It is an unstabilized chlorine source like bleach so it will not add or raise cyanuric acid like dichlor. . Be aware that it is slow dissolving so yo want to predissolve it in a bucket of water first before adding to the tub. It is net netural on use so should have minimal impact on pH like bleach (alkaline on addition, acidic reaction on sanitizing) . If you find that your pH is rising then lower your TA. For most people, keeping TA between 50 go 70 ppm is the sweet spot for pH stability.