When filling my new spa with city water, how do I reduce the water's hardness if is out of range?

My new Bullfrog A6L might be delivered as soon as two days from now. Yea! I've been reading that the 1st thing to do after filling and before heating is to lower hard water. I am on city water, which is hard, but probably nowhere near as hard as hell water, er, I WELL water! 😉 

Is there something to add to lower the calcium(?) level? Or, do I use the Taylor kit to test my city water from the hose, and if it is above the desired range, do I run it through a water softener cartridge of some sort? I saw a link for a $230 water softener, but that is a crazy price to pay to reduce the hardness of 400 gallons of water a few times per year! Is there a much smaller soft water resin filter that is sized more appropriate for filling hot tubs? I have an office coffee business, so have 12" Omnipure filters with carbon for taste and resin beads to reduce hardness to lessen scale build up. Of course scale build up in an automated espresso machine, where the boiler heats water to ≈190º F, is much more problematic, especially with the small orifices the water passes through, than the hardness issues at 104º F in a hot tub's system. I guess I could try using one of my carbon. resin combo filters as an experiment, but I can only imagine the time it would take for a 3/8" water line, at maybe 40 to 50 psi coming out would take to produce 400 gallons! LOL

Should I bother to use a 'Metals' Pre-Filter just for regular city water to fill my tub? Some have said it may not be really needed, but maybe it gives you a sense of "maybe it did some good."  ?? I ordered two from Amazon in case the answer is yes. Otherwise, I'll just return them. Mixed reviews if they put out much more than 100 gals. before clogging to a dribble.

GLACIER FRESH Garden Hose End Pre-Filter for Swimming Pool, Hot Tubs, Spa, Inflatable Pool, Ponds, Greatly Reduces Bad Taste, Odors, Chlorin and Sediment, up to 8,000 Gallons, 1 Pack   $25.99

POOLPURE Garden Hose End Pre Filter for Pool, Hot Tub, Spa, Greatly Reduces Chlorine, Heavy Metals, Odor, Fits Any Standard 3/4" Garden Hose Thread, Up to 8,000 Gallons, 1Pack   $28.98

Silly me! Duh, I figured out I don't need to wait to fill the hot tub when I get it... Just test the water out of my hose! Well, my sense does not seem as common as it used to be. I had a birthday in December on the day you won 'most liked content'. Well deserved, young man! I can say that because I noticed I've been on this sphere ≈ 11 weeks longer than you. LOL Welcome to lucky #7 (soon).

Anyway, I just posted the CH & TA of my tap water, over on the thread:  Bullfrog EOS, Wellspring or NO Ozone on a new 2023 A6L for best experience with keeping water and chemicals balanced?  after reading your helpful "How to use Bromine (3 step method)" thread. Thank you for the wealth of information you provide, and most especially sharing it is terms us newbies can understand. Hey, at my age, being a newbie is a good thing! You know, beginners mind and all. 😉

waterbear last won the day on December 15 2023

waterbear had the most liked content!