Pump problem with Down East spa

UKNeville

Hi

Our Down East Exeter or Portsmouth (I don't know exactly what we have) spa had been decommissioned for 8 months. I got it back up and running and it has been working fine for a couple of weeks.

I am now getting low flow errors causing it stop heating. I believe it is pump one which is causing the problem.

This is a two speed pump that I think provides circulation in low speed and then runs the jet at the higher speed.

When I turn the tub on, after it's self test, I can hear pump 1 try to start up. It just buzzes (the usual sound of a motor struggling to get going I guess). If I press Jets1, the pump goes to speed 2 and runs fine. If I switched Jets 1 off, it goes back down to low speed and carries on running fine.

At some point, the controller stops the pump and then it doesn't get going again.

I am guessing the 8 months decommissioned has resulted in some damage that prevents the motor starting at the low speed.

Is it time for a new motor or could this possibly be serviced and repaired?

On 12/31/2023 at 12:12 PM, UKNeville said:

It just buzzes

Does it hum or make a hard loud buzzing sound? Hum likely a bad cap. Loud hard buzz it could be a stuck relay sending power to both speeds at the same time. You are able to run in low speed after going into high speed so I don't think you have a bad relay. One way to test if you can get at the back of the motor and remove the dust cap you will see a slot in the shaft of the motor. While the spa is trying to start the pump in low speed use a flathead in the slot of the shaft and give it some help starting. If it starts up in low with help then likely a bad cap.

32 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Does it hum or make a hard loud buzzing sound? Hum likely a bad cap. Loud hard buzz it could be a stuck relay sending power to both speeds at the same time. You are able to run in low speed after going into high speed so I don't think you have a bad relay. One way to test if you can get at the back of the motor and remove the dust cap you will see a slot in the shaft of the motor. While the spa is trying to start the pump in low speed use a flathead in the slot of the shaft and give it some help starting. If it starts up in low with help then likely a bad cap.

I think you nailed it in one!

If you are ever in the UK just west of London, let me know. I owe you a drink.

20240102_125556.jpg

• Like 1