Need Advice... Please

dcsam

I posted a message this morning about the top 3 makes of hot tubs we should be looking for. Lots of people have looked at my message, but no postings. We're hoping to find a tub within a week to 10 days, but we need your suggestions. I've spent much time on the internet trying to find a make that has a great reputation. Sound like Hotsprings would be good??? Am I correct on this? What others would you recommend we look for? We are going to purchase a used one. We called about a 3 year old Hot Springs Landmark selling for $3600 or best offer. Also a Hotsprings Soverign 2004 model for $4,950. A bit over what we wanted to pay, and will offer less if you all say that's a good deal. There's also a 2 year old Sonoma model k-910 for $2,800 obo. Thanks much. Your expertise and suggestions are much appreciated.

Caroline

dscam:

For what its worth, I've owned two Hot Spring tubs. The first, a 1993 Prodigy, for 11 years and now a 2006 Envoy since last November. The Prodigy ran like a watch. The only repairs I ever had were, once for a tight diverter valve and then twice for a new thermostats. The Envoy has been perfect since I got it except for some difficulty with the stereo remote early on. I sure do love my tubs and would buy Hot Spring again if the need arose.

I hear that the other major manufacturers are also very good in quality and reliability. So if your gonna buy a used tub, I think your safe if you stay with the majors. Just be aware that most warranties do not transfer to a second buyer. (I think Marquis may, but I am not sure). For this reason, I would stay away from any used tub with a lot of bells and whistles on it.

Good Luck, Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for posting. I've come to the conclusion that the contractor can wait (if needed) until we can find a hot tub that meets our needs. Your idea of less 'bells & whistles' is a good idea to keep in mind when purchasing just about anything mechanical (we've had our experiences with this). It's sounds like HotSprings and Caldera are well-insulated and get great reviews. Is this correct? We were hoping to get a used Hot Springs Landmark (3 years old) for around $3,000 but the seller has someone coming out today to pick it up :( . I'm going to check into Costco today and check into their tubs made by Hot Springs. Any other suggestions?

Thanks much!

CAroline

dscam:

For what its worth, I've owned two Hot Spring tubs. The first, a 1993 Prodigy, for 11 years and now a 2006 Envoy since last November. The Prodigy ran like a watch. The only repairs I ever had were, once for a tight diverter valve and then twice for a new thermostats. The Envoy has been perfect since I got it except for some difficulty with the stereo remote early on. I sure do love my tubs and would buy Hot Spring again if the need arose.

I hear that the other major manufacturers are also very good in quality and reliability. So if your gonna buy a used tub, I think your safe if you stay with the majors. Just be aware that most warranties do not transfer to a second buyer. (I think Marquis may, but I am not sure). For this reason, I would stay away from any used tub with a lot of bells and whistles on it.

Good Luck, Rich

Before rushing out to get anything it's always wise to shop around and do a lot of research first. It doesn't make sense to impulse buy when buying a big ticket item. My personal advise if it was me and I really wanted to buy use I would find someone who serves tubs and pay them to check it out like you would a car. I know some people might think I'm nuts but you are fork out 3 or 4 grand for something use and you don't know much about them. There are several brands out there that are well made just look for the major ones that keep popping up. I went with a Marquis and happy with my choice but Hot springs I like a lot also Marquis just felt more comfortable to me. What ever you do make sure you wet test the spa first.

Thanks Bill