Tiger River Spa Bengal Model M - Flipping 20A and 30A Breakers

PoolLighterX

Hi there,

I just bought a home with a Tiger River Spas Bengal (Model M). I’m not sure which year it was manufactured, but likely mid-2000s.

The previous owners didn’t have proper wiring to the hot tub and just connected it via outlet plug to an outdoor electrical outlet. We had an electrician install an outdoor 50A sub-panel in a nearby shed with a hot tub disconnect within a few feet of the hot tub. They direct connected the hot tub to this nearby disconnect.

Since doing so, the hot tub worked OK for a few days (although it was topping out at about 95 degrees despite being set higher). Now, it’s no longer working at all and both the 30 and 20A breakers have flipped and won’t turn back on.

I’m not entirely sure where to start. I’ve attached a pic of the panel - is all the wiring here correct?

Let me know what you all think.

image.jpg

Okay, so the 20A breaker flipped and now the tub won’t turn on. A tech on Reddit mentioned that it probably wasn’t converted properly by the electricians and said to look at the wiring diagram. I looked at it (attached) and it appears that it wasn’t converted properly. I took a stab at it (see second pic) and im still not getting any power to the tub. When I flip the 20A breaker, it doesn’t flip back off but I don’t see any power to the tub itself. When I flip the 30A breaker, both the 30A and 20A breakers flip off. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Thanks!

IMG_7992.jpeg

IMG_7993.jpeg

Did you change both the power jumpers and program jumpers?

The 30 amp circuit with #10 awg wires is for the heater only. The 20 amp circuit on #12 awg is everything else. Make sure it matches the diagram by terminal number. On this board the second terminal is the H1 heater terminal and does not physically match the diagram. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus! It’s plain as day when it was hooked up to 220 volts the power jumpers were not removed. They are orientated horizontally at the top of the grey terminal block. You need to remove the entire junker on the left hand side, and the right hand side junker needs to be cut down to a two prong and thus jumping pins 4&5

Without these removed you are attempting to send voltage to multiple redundant places from the same source.

good lord….