2008 Hot Spring Grandee--No Heat Tripping Breaker--Checked Everything

DrGMatic

My otherwise great working Hot Spring Grandee now runs for 20 minutes and trips the breaker. It's usually the breaker in the house on my main panel, but a couple of times, the local breaker. As soon as I reset the breaker, it'll go for another 20 minutes and then shut down. All the jets work and the red power light glows steady, nothing from the Ready  light.

Here's what I've observed:

The Circ pumps runs continuously however, the heater tubes never get even warm to the touch.

Ran with the filter removed, same issue. Then, cleaned filters, same.

Circ pump is running and blowing lots of bubbles

"LIM OK"  LED on Motherboard lit

"HTR ON" LED on Motherboard lit

"Control Unplugged" LED on Motherboard NOT lit

The 2 LEDs on the heater board are lit

Heater getting 220V

15 ohms across heater white & black

Unplugged both sensors and read 20 ohms/ 40° water temp

Pressure switch open when pump off/closed when pump is running

I replaced the dual 50 amp gfic in the house and now the circ pump runs fine, with the heater disconnected. When I re-connect the heater, the 30 amp breaker in the spa-side box trips immediately, but nothing on the breaker in the house.

Now what?

• DrGMatic changed the title to 2008 Hot Spring Grandee--No Heat Tripping Breaker--Checked Everything

The heater is the only thing on that 30amp breaker. There's basically only 2 things it can be unless you've changed the wiring. If the heater tests good it must be the breaker. 

You might swap the 20amp breaker with the 30 to test it with the pump circuit. Just leave the heater circuit disconnected, you can't test it with the 20amp breaker. If the 30amp trips with the 20 amp wires connected it's definitely the breaker. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, after working fine for a few weeks, or so, the tripping monster came back!

Now, with the new 50amp in the house, the 30 amp in the sub-panel was tripping, whether the heater is connected or not.

I replaced the 30 amp in the sub-panel and, it still trips within minutes of turning it on.

The Circ pump runs

The Heater and Lim LEDs on the mother board light up as do the red and green on the heater board.

The heater element measures 15 ohms, 0 ohms to ground on both sides

Before I changed the inside 50 amp breaker, plugging in the ozonator would trip the beaker immediately so I've kept that unplugged

Both in/out sensors on the heater test 15 ohms at 59°

The pressure switch closes when the circ pump runs

What do I do next?