Heater popping circuit breaker

I have a Hot Springs spa.  2007 Sovereign model.   When I refill it or if it is really cold, it pops the circuit breaker.  It seems when the heater has to work a little harder it pops.  When it is up to tempeture it is fine.

My local dealer said it would be $200 to come out and look at it.  If the heater needed to be replaced, it would be $700.  I can get a new heater for $300 and install it myself.

Is it possible there is something else wrong and not just the heater?  If so how do I check it?

My money is on the breaker. Check for loose terminal screws, if it keeps happening get a new breaker.

Intermittent unpredictable tripping of the gfci is the most difficult thing to troubleshoot in a spa. But most of the time it's a bad breaker. When guessing (which we are) that's the best and cheapest place to start as well.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

OK guys.  It was disconnected for the weekend.  The circuit breaker did not pop.  The end of the white H2 was a little corroded so I clipped it to fresh metal.  Still the same result.  Circuit breaker pops till it is up to correct temp then it's OK.  Is it the heater???     I did replace the smaller circuit board a year ago.  Is it possible the board went bad again???

I will replace the heater when I change the water again if that is the consensus.

replaced panel 1-22-22.jpg