Hot tube cover - black specs

damianinpa

All,

I have a 2007 Jacuzzi.  I use Spa Frog floater and my water is 100% balanced.  Inside of tub is fine.  But, I'm finding black specs or mold on the actual cover (the inside that faces water).  Weekly, I cleaning the cover to remove the specs, but, they come back.  I've been using Spa Clean from SpaDepot to clean it which helps, but, is it normal have this issue?  Does every hot tub owner get some black specks/mold on the cover on a regular basis?  

Should I be using a stronger chemical to clean it?  Spa clean is natural stuff.  I clean the cover and even the perimeter of the tub or water line with it weekly.

One suggestion is to take some of the spa water and put that on the cover and then brush it.  I'm thinking that won't be enough and I don't understand why this is even happening.  (Or is it normal?)

What you are experiencing can be extremely common on vinyl covered spa covers.  We make an Ahh-Some Spray Cleaner that will work great for that problem.  Another product called Serum Triple Spray Cleaner will also be very effective.  They are also used to clean the area above the water line after the hot tub is used.  Spray the cleaner on and wipe away the stickies and bio-gunk.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

If your refiring to the Frog@ease product that will do it. Get away from that as fast as you can and drain your tub start over and go with good old chlorine. Balance in this order. Alkalinity followed by PH followed by Calcium hardness followed by chlorine. I had a similar problem but the specs were in my water floating around and along the walls of the tub. I finally decided to go with chlorine at the frog system was getting to expensive and it was not working anyways. Be sure to wait an hour or so in between adding chemicals maybe ever 2 or 3 hours.