Chlorine V. Bromine For Slacker

I'm a lazy spa owner who uses the spa maybe once every other week. I need to purchase new chemicals. It seems like there are 2 camps: either chlorine and bromine based approaches

The other consideration is that I have an ozonator- although I can't tell if it is actually doing anything.

Can somebody point me in the right direction.

Thanks B)

I'm a lazy spa owner who uses the spa maybe once every other week. I need to purchase new chemicals. It seems like there are 2 camps: either chlorine and bromine based approaches

The other consideration is that I have an ozonator- although I can't tell if it is actually doing anything.

Can somebody point me in the right direction.

Thanks B)

A 3-step bromine sytems is going to require the less frequent maintenance than a chlorine system.

This means:

1)adding sodium bromide to your water on each refill

2) "shocking" to activate the bromide reserve in the water into your active sanitizer, hypobromus acid.

3) putting in a floater with bromine tabs to maintain a bromine level of 4-6 ppm

4) shocking it weekly to raise the bromine level above 10 ppm. wait until the level drops below 10 ppm before entering spa.

IMHO, ordinary chlorine bleach (the unscented kind) is the best thing for shocking. The chlorine will be converted into bromine sanitizer by the bromide reserve in your water from step 1.

I would suggest a GOOD test kit. For bromine I recommend the Taylor K-2106.

Your ozone will help keep your bromine level constant since it is going to be shocking (or oxidizing) the bromide into hypobromous acid. However, ozone can cause bromates to form in your water. Bromates are a suspected carcinogen in drinking water.

Your ozone will help keep your bromine level constant since it is going to be shocking (or oxidizing) the bromide into hypobromous acid. However, ozone can cause bromates to form in your water. Bromates are a suspected carcinogen in drinking water.

Sounds like bromates are bad. Is there a specific test for bromate level? Does your answer imply that if I use bromine I should disconnect the ozonator?

Thanks waterbear so much for your answer.

:P

There is not a test for bromates that I am aware of. Notice that I said they are a suspected carcinogen in drinking water. Just do regular drains and refills every 3-4 months and start over. There are a lot of people that use bromine and ozonators and the combiation is, IMHO, easier than using an ozonator with chlorine. Just one of the downsides of using ozone that is not really talked about. Every form of sanitation has it's pluses and minuses. Personally, if it were my spa I would not lose any sleep over it!

• 5 weeks later...

1)adding sodium bromide to your water on each refill

2) "shocking" to activate the bromide reserve in the water into your active sanitizer, hypobromus acid.

3) putting in a floater with bromine tabs to maintain a bromine level of 4-6 ppm

4) shocking it weekly to raise the bromine level above 10 ppm. wait until the level drops below 10 ppm before entering spa.

IMHO, ordinary chlorine bleach (the unscented kind) is the best thing for shocking. The chlorine will be converted into bromine sanitizer by the bromide reserve in your water from step 1.

Thanks again for your comments. Is there a website you recommend that has more detailed directions on using this 3 step bromine process?

So my shopping list looks like:

1. Brominating Granular

2. shock: ordinary chlorine bleach (supermarket brand) rather than a traditional shock like potassium peroxymonosulfate

4. Taylor K-2106 test strips

5. Bromine tablets

My questions about these chemicals are:

1. How much granular should I use on refills? (my spa is 250 gallons)

2. I assume you meant the bleach as a shock will react with bromine to form hypobromous acid

3. How much bleach should I use as a shock?

4. I'll be using the strips to test for the bromine levels... anything else I should be measuring ie. good range for pH?

Thanks again :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your comments. Is there a website you recommend that has more detailed directions on using this 3 step bromine process?

So my shopping list looks like:

1. Brominating Granular

2. shock: ordinary chlorine bleach (supermarket brand) rather than a traditional shock like potassium peroxymonosulfate

4. Taylor K-2106 test strips

This is a test kit with liquid reagents, NOT strips. You can order it Taylor Technoligies if you can't find it locally

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/

Strips do not have the precision needed for water balancing! A good test kit like the Taylor will really make your water maintenance much simpler! It costs about $60 but that really isn't a lot of money when you consider how much your spa cost!

5. Bromine tablets

My questions about these chemicals are:

1. How much granular should I use on refills? (my spa is 250 gallons)

Read the package directions for dosing. The HTH brand, BromStart, comes in premeasured packets that, if my memory is correct, are the right amount for each 250 gallons. The product should be plain sodium bromide and NOT contain any other ingredients like diclor or MPS.

2. I assume you meant the bleach as a shock will react with bromine to form hypobromous acid

Yes

3. How much bleach should I use as a shock?

About 3/4 cup of regular (5.25%) bleach or 2/3 cup of ultra (6%) bleach should be about right for each 250 gallons.

4. I'll be using the strips to test for the bromine levels... anything else I should be measuring ie. good range for pH?

The Taylor K-2106 will test for all the water parameters that you need to be concerend with in a bromine spa (Total Bromine,pH, Total Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness), except for metals. If you have metals in your water then you can get the sepcific kits to test for them from Taylor. If you don't have metals then don't worry about it. Have your dealer or pool/spa supply test your fill water for metals is another option! If you have metals in your fill water then you will also need to add a metal sequesterant

Thanks again :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

One each refill add the Bromstart to create the 'bank' of bromide ions in the water. Then shock with bleach to covert (oxidize) the bromide ions into hypobromous acid, your active sanitzer.

If you are going to use a chlorine system then all you will need for sanitation would be a source of chlorine. Bleach is sodium hypochlorite, exactly the same thing as the liquid chlorine sold at pool/spa supply stores! All you would need is bleach (and your other water balancing chemicals, just like with bromine.) You might also need a small amount of stabilizer (cyanuric acid) if the spa gets a lot of sun to protect the chlorine from 'burning off' quickly in the UV from the sun.

• 1 month later...
sodium bromide shock, The product should be plain sodium bromide and NOT contain any other ingredients like diclor or MPS.)

Is there a recommended place to buy this online, and if so what size? I found some spa shock on ebay but many don't list the ingredients and one contained Potassium Peroxymonosulphate in a 42.8% active ingredient