Master Spa replace circuit board, clicks and nothing

Desa

7DA28B66-092E-47B4-A8E9-E7BE19C122B8.thumb.jpeg.137e7ca89b8b656dd6df37d74ddeff85.jpeg77B8F9AD-F435-4DF0-997D-D9515CD68902.thumb.jpeg.84d2083b5205427dcdc55f96b685a89f.jpeg724D7A0E-46B0-47FD-85FA-2BAE1BB48195.thumb.jpeg.3c432539b535d5e37cd83eb1aa57c7f9.jpegHoping for some insight.  Heater blew, so had to replace board and heater element.  The old master spa board was a VS501SZ serial no55241.  Balboa rep replaced with VS501Z serial no54357.  After install, power up, two quick clicks then nothing.  Power into board good, fuses test good.  No power at topside control.  Any ideas?  Old Master Spa Twilight series that came with my house, replaced both manifolds, and two pumps.  I’ve gotten emotionally attached lol Circuit board was 600cnd so I hope I didn’t just throw that away.

Power off, disconnect the topside and power up and see if it will run automated. Might take about 5-7 mins for it to get past PR mode. Was it Balboa directly that recommended the board? Need to see the little red box along the bottom edge of the board.

Power off to make Dip Switch changes. Ok see link page 7. We need to set the "Dip" switches (in the Red box) as per the instructions (Off is down position). A1 off, A2 off, A3 Off...this change might make it work with your topside) A4 off, A5 on and A9 on (For Circ pump to run 24/7 assuming pump 1 is a 2 speed if pump... If pump 1 is high speed only you need A5 off A9 on). Try A7 off and if buttons on topside don't work for how they are positioned but still work you might have to change this one to up, A8 off= Fahrenheit on + Celsius, A10 off. See Note for the Jumper Key J12 at bottom of page 7. I can't see it in photos but looks line it needs to be covering the pins 2 and 3 (middle and right pins) Give all that a try and see what happens. 

https://spacare.com/productimages/pdfmanuals/balboa/VS501Z.pdf

@CanadianSpaTech  Thank you!!!  Ok, so really different!  I set the switches as you indicated but noticed two more differences.  I currently have W3-BlackAC J62, but in your doc it is W3-J46??

Also, My heater is a 4kw 240v  is there any board changes required for that?

Really appreciate this!!!

Not sure but I would set it up to match the link I provided as it is the hot sheet for the new board. Also make sure you follow page 8 if you have both a circ pump AND ozone. They have to be the same voltage (120 or 240) if not you need to change the pin locations on the connector for the Ozone. The 4KW heater is fine and no changes need to be made to board.

powered up and circ pump running but nothing on topside.  Pumps both went on at 5 min mark so guessing good startup sequence.  Pump 2 stopped after a few seconds, pump 1 still running low speed.

Darn, was hoping to avoid new topside, but I guess that’s next step?

Yes the person that sold you the board led you astray and gave you bad information by not matching up the board to the topside. I doubt they will take it back but... it's the wrong board. You will need a Balboa Duplex Digital or a Lite Duplex panel see bottom of page 9 and top of page 10... or the correct circuit board. Yours looks to be a VL700s Standard Series panel page 10 middle. Also see Tech notes at right in the VS section of page 13 in this Catalog here: http://elmsalesandequipment.com/product-catalogue.htm (They do not sell to public and prices are full retail and not pandemic updated). You will also lose the Mode button functions. 

If you are replacing the topside you might want to lift the current one out and measure the hole size below it. The current topside is larger than recommended replacements and if they are smaller you may or may not have to add a topside panel adapter plate page 8. 

Ya, when I called this afternoon, they were….  less then helpful.  Should have asked here first!  Actually just tried to comvince me to trade in on a brand new hot tub *smh*

Ah well, I’ve learned tons.  Thanks so much for the help and links!!

• Like 1

Best of luck. Always best to lodge a complaint...in person...on a Sat afternoon around 2pm. They might be busy with other customers looking to spend 15K in their store but if you speak loud and clear I'm sure you will get the help you need...pronto. 👿 They all hate me...lol

What happened to the original board? It is likely repairable. If you still have it describe the issue and post photos of the front and back