Hot Spot Mallorca - entire spa inoperative error

samwise801

Greetings everyone! I have a 2007 Hot Spot Mallorca (bought it used, obvi) and generally it works well. Everything pumps strong and save for just a little bit of air leakage in one of the jets, it seems to function as it should.

Except, every few days I come out to it and find the Entire Spa Inoperative error (four dashes) on the display. I can't pinpoint what triggers this, as it seems to happen somewhat regularly and doesn't seem to correlate with new or old water, fresh or not-so-fresh filters, etc. 

The strange thing is, I can always, always resolve it with two power cycles. The first time I power cycle the error will always come back after about 20 seconds or so, no matter what I do (leave the tub alone, turn on one pump, turn on both pumps, wait 2 seconds before turning the breaker back on, wait 60 seconds before turning the breaker back on, etc). But then if I power cycle the tub a second time she always stays on and works as-intended with no further errors. 

Anyone have any ideas as to what this might be? The manual says the heater high limit thermostat is the most likely culprit, so I replaced that with a new, genuine part. That hasn't seemed to make any difference in the frequency or other behavior of the error. 

The tub didn't do this when I first got it but picked up the habit last fall. So I suppose it might be correlated with cooler outdoor weather, as I only got the tub last April. (I also tend to keep the tub set a couple of degrees warmer in the cooler months, so there might be a correlation with that too.)

So, anyone have any thoughts? What might be the cause here? Anything I'm concerned about / can do anything about?