balboa wifi module

ferdinand

• 8 months later...

How are you connecting the the wifi module? Did you follow the instructions for connecting the wifi module to your home network? Or are you connecting directly to the wifi module via its default wifi network (the network it broadcasts when new or reset).

What app are you using? i have a Bullfrog Spa. I was not able to connect to the wifi module over my home network using the Bullfrog wifi app. I had to use the Balboa BWA Spa Control app.

If you have connected the wifi module to your home network, what is the distance between your nearest wifi access point and the wifi module? I had to position my wifi access point (i.e., my "router") beside a window with direct view to the wifi module, my distance is about 35 feet. With my setup the signal strength at the wifi module is -57db to -60db.  Baloboa recommends ninimum signal strength -50db but mine still works most of the time. 

Also, if you connected the wifi module to your home nework, your control device needs to be on the same wifi networka as the wifi network that you connected the module to. So if you connected your wifi module to your 2.4GHz wifi network, for local connection your device needs to be connected to the same network. For example, if your control device is connected to your home network via 5GHz wifi network, and you had connected  your wifi module to your 2.4GHz network, the app will not connect to the wifi module via local wifi connection (but cloud connection is ok).

Even after all this, my connection is still very hit-and-miss. The wifi  module's connection to the home network is not stable. Using a network scanning app, I can see that, when I am unable to connect to the wifi module with the BWA app, the reason is that the wifi module is no longer visible on the network. The scanning app can no longer see it. Then after a while, it comes back. I really do not know what causes it to disappear from the network for periods of time, or what causes it to reappear on hte network. The disappearance/reappearance on the network does not seem to be related to anything obvious. Definitely not weather-related. AndI I don't think the problem is my router because all of my other wifi devices always stay connected.

Lots of moving parts here, and many people reporting flaky behavior of the Balboa wifi module in other forums too. When it works, it's great. When it doesn't wotk, trying to figure it out and get it to reconnect is an exerciise in time-wasting frustrastion and aggravation.

There appears to be several versions of Balboa wireless control systems. My spa control pack is BFBP20. My wifi module is Balboa bwa 50350, advertised as being compatible with BP series.

I believe that the Balboa 12-part video series you linked to is a guide Balboa's newer "ControlMySpa" gateway equipment and app, which is advertised as being compatible wirh BP7 systems. Not sure whether it is backwards-compatible with my older BP series, but I am thinking probably not.

I see there are two different Balboa apps in the Google Play app store, one is called "Balboa Worldwide - Spa Control" and the other is called "ControlMySpa". So I am thinking that the two systems use different apps, though the app descriptions do not state this explicitly. I am using the "Balboa Worldwide - Spa Control" app with my bwa wifi module.

What I wrote above relates to my experience with the older bwa wifi module. I sure hope the new system is more reliable than the bwa system.

• Like 1