To ozone or not to ozone....

I have a 2010 J-365 it use to have ozone. I took it out awhile back and that’s worked out fine. I’ve been going over the forum looking at the differing options. From what I gather if you use bromine, ozone is good to have. If chlorine maybe not. I run Nitros method so I use chlorine but have been tempted to try bromine. First if I replace what would be recommended for a new unit? Second what are your thoughts on ozone? We do go on vacation for 2 weeks once in awhile and of course I worry about FC levels etc. I try to have someone come by and dose to 10ppm once a week.

ETA: It’s 500 gallons and I know you don’t want to go overboard on the ozone.

Ummm.....???

Ozone is there to burn off chlorine, so you can shock to the high levels you need to after using it and not get into a chemical bath the next day. Bromine is more resistant to oxidation, so ozone acts as a continuous shock. I love ozone, and won't own a spa without it. You should have virtually no chlorine reading when you use it, and completely sanitized water. That is the point. It also destroys contaminants, but as you can't get 100% exposure in the water it is not approved as a sanitizer, you still need to add chems after each use. Ozone has been used to eliminate chlorine residual in municipal water sources for decades.

If your cover is on, your ozone will keep your spa clean, since virtually no contaminants can enter the water. I also like a mineral purifier with it (nature2, spa frog), which interferes with the reproductive cycle of single-celled organisms and drastically slows their spread in your water.

Replace with what you had, as the injection system is sized to the output of the ozonator.

• Like 3