Bullfrog Jetpak Clips Breaking

rcoman44

We took delivery of a brand new Bullfrog M7 tub over the weekend.  After the first use, the plastic clips behind one of the jetpaks broke.  When we used the spa the second time, we did not turn on the jetpak's on the side with the broken clips and another set broke on the opposite side.  Has anyone had a problem with their clips breaking?  Can they be replaced easily?  I do not see a way to remove the clips.  Thanks everyone for your input.IMG_3716.thumb.jpeg.07643f2a23c79e5b7ca5b8d5543a1383.jpegIMG_3716.thumb.jpeg.07643f2a23c79e5b7ca5b8d5543a1383.jpeg

IMG_3701 reduced.jpeg

Do they have a service department? Did they schedule a service call to fix it, or are you on your own with your new bullfrog? I would raise a fuss. 

It looks to me like the whole thing probably screws on through the shell. That is a guess, I have not worked on that part before. I would hate to think it is epoxy. Either way, you should get them to cover it.

Thanks RDspaguy.  Yes Bullfrog is going to send out a tech.  There are no screws in the face of the clip and the clip is too thin to  have a screw from the back.  I think they must be glued on with epoxy.  I was curious if this was a common thing that breaks on the tubs with the jetpaks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

We also took delivery of an M7.  We have had many problems, first they forgot a critical o ring so it was leaking.  One of the small jets in the rain shower jet pack keeps popping out.  Today one of the clips broke for the jet pack.  I have spoken to the factory store and they are aware of some issues the M series has, and have temporarily stopped production while they service the existing M and then get it right for future customers.  So far they have been very gracious to us, and have offered many solutions.  We are very hopeful, but still not the experience we were hoping for considering we spent 20+.

7 hours ago, DavidI said:

We also took delivery of an M7.  We have had many problems, first they forgot a critical o ring so it was leaking.  One of the small jets in the rain shower jet pack keeps popping out.  Today one of the clips broke for the jet pack.  I have spoken to the factory store and they are aware of some issues the M series has, and have temporarily stopped production while they service the existing M and then get it right for future customers.  So far they have been very gracious to us, and have offered many solutions.  We are very hopeful, but still not the experience we were hoping for considering we spent 20+.

Damn!  That's rough! The M-series are the best looking tubs Bullfrog makes.   When the M series first came out I saw a few complaints about the jetpack clips, but hadn't heard anything recently from any new M-series owners.  That's awful, Although I'm happy to hear the factory is aware of the problem and has ceased production currently, at least they're not continuing to sell known lemons!

Keep us posted how things turn out, I'm curious to see how Bullfrog will handle this fiasco.

• 1 year later...

I have an m9 and I’m on my forth clip breaking. Very frustrating. Bullfrog just keeps sending them out to fix because under warranty. One my warranty expires I don’t know what I’ll do. 

if anyone knows of a way to stop these from breaking let me know

17 hours ago, Slh22 said:

Bullfrog just keeps sending them out to fix because under warranty. One my warranty expires I don’t know what I’ll do. 

I would start raising hell with Bullfrog until they fix the problem or extend your warranty - that is garbage, I thought the issue had already been revised/fixed by now.

17 hours ago, Slh22 said:

if anyone knows of a way to stop these from breaking let me know

As with many things in a hot tub, water chemistry will greatly affect the lifespan of various plastic components in the hot tub.  Bromine is more harsh than chlorine on components, and there are accessories you can use to reduce your need for chlorine.     

Now may be the time to assess your water chemistry routine and look for possible ways to reduce sanitizer usage - things like purging twice a year can also help keep the plumbing clean which can help reduce chemical needs.   Not saying this is guaranteed to help, but doing so now before the warranty expires might help you figure things out while the manufacturer is still covering the cost of replacement parts  (which should be beefed up to avoid this issue in the future!)

1 hour ago, ratchett said:

I thought the issue had already been revised/fixed by now.

That's what I heard, but haven't seen a newer one myself. In my experience, this is what bullfrog is known for.

start raising hell with Bullfrog unti

Good luck. Sincerely. 

chemistry will greatly affect the lifespan of various plastic components in the hot tub. 

True, but even perfect chemistry will not stop plastics from getting brittle as long as you are using an oxidizer. 

I have replaced countless clips, and I have no better solution short of perhaps fabricating stainless steel clips, which is above my paygrade.

19 hours ago, Slh22 said:

anyone knows of a way to stop these from breaking let me know

Better yet, let bullfrog know.🤣

Are they still epoxied on?

• Like 1

On the ones I have seen they are epoxied in place. The hard part is removing the epoxy without damaging the shell. I recommend patience as the primary tool, aided by an assortment of small prying tools, chisels, maybe a dremel tool, and a pad to protect the shell. 

If you caulk them on they will come off instead of break, which is easier to fix but happens more often.

12 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

On the ones I have seen they are epoxied in place. The hard part is removing the epoxy without damaging the shell. I recommend patience as the primary tool, aided by an assortment of small prying tools, chisels, maybe a dremel tool, and a pad to protect the shell. 

If you caulk them on they will come off instead of break, which is easier to fix but happens more often.

WOW! That is absolutely terrible on Bullfrog's part.  What brilliant engineer thought "Hey, let's epoxy this critical component which is made with thin plastic that can easily crack/break - no way in hell anyone would ever need to replace THAT!"

11 hours ago, ratchett said:

WOW! That is absolutely terrible on Bullfrog's part.  What brilliant engineer thought "Hey, let's epoxy this critical component which is made with thin plastic that can easily crack/break - no way in hell anyone would ever need to replace THAT!"

Now you understand why I can't get on board with bullfrog. People say they fixed the problem, but I haven't seen a bullfrog in a decade, and it wasn't new then. I hear "bullfrog" and have ptsd flashbacks of a plate size chunk of acrylic coming off with the stupid piece of plastic.

Yep, that's what I said. Plate sized. Like, dinner plate. And I was responsible. My boss was not happy.

• Sad 1