Too Many To Choose From Help!

mendon31

I have finally decided to purchase a new hot tub. I didn't know there were so many different brands. I have seen the new Coleman models, I have ordered brochures from Jacuzzi, Caldera, Hot Springs, and Therma Spa. Thats five to sift through right there. I am quickly putting Therma Spa aside. I live in Michigan, it gets pretty darn cold here. So theres that to consider. Plus how do I know what to expect price wise with these different models and brands. Isn't there a MSRP that these companies could give us a clue with? I know the Coleman were between $6 and 8 W/ a cover, ozonator, 3 months worth of chemicals and delivery and set up. Is this a good deal? How do I know? Do I really have to visit 5 or 6 different showrooms? Is there a whole other brand I should be considering? Help!!!!

I have finally decided to purchase a new hot tub. I didn't know there were so many different brands. I have seen the new Coleman models, I have ordered brochures from Jacuzzi, Caldera, Hot Springs, and Therma Spa. Thats five to sift through right there. I am quickly putting Therma Spa aside. I live in Michigan, it gets pretty darn cold here. So theres that to consider. Plus how do I know what to expect price wise with these different models and brands. Isn't there a MSRP that these companies could give us a clue with? I know the Coleman were between $6 and 8 W/ a cover, ozonator, 3 months worth of chemicals and delivery and set up. Is this a good deal? How do I know? Do I really have to visit 5 or 6 different showrooms? Is there a whole other brand I should be considering? Help!!!!

Hi,

In a few short words - Warranty! Regardless of the spa that you choose there must be a reptutable warranty service station in the area. If you live in a rural area make sure that your closest service station has made a decent name for itself and will still be operating during the duration of your warranty.

Don't be afraid of extended warranty programs, I run a large service department and I have seen many calls come in for spas that are four and five years old that still have a full warranty, that really makes my clients happy.

We carry the Jacuzzi Premium brand and they have been very good to us. We sell and service these products to our clients because they work and nothing else. When it comes to ozonators, covers and other accesories all sps should come with a cover any spa that does not is simply cheap. I highly recommend ozone and a cover lifter if you have the budget for it.

I hope this helps

Jason

Have you heard about Arctic Spas? Arctic Spas aren't just a name they are built for the harsh winters. We just opened our 4th store last January (two of my other stores are located in Breckenridge, CO and Lake Tahoe, CA). If you are looking for a great spa at a great price please check out Arctic Spas.

Michael

www.HeavenlyTimes.com

mendon,

having just purchased a tub I know what you are going through. I hate to say it, but Yes, you may need to go to 5-6 different stores. This is because you need to take each tub for a test drive with your suit on. Once you wet test, you will quickly see what type of jets you like, whether the tub is powerfull enough or too powerful, what configuration you prefer (lounger or no lounger), etc.

All of the brands you mentioned are suitable for Michigan, where I am from, and all will have their supporters on this and other forums (ie some people will love them, others will hate them)/

Re: price.... I found that the figures can, and will go down. If the dealer acts like the sticker price is it, go to another store since bargaining is the name of the game in the hot tub world. I also found that dealers of the same brand would beat the other's price or would add extras in for free. Things like delivery, set up, start up chemicals and a cover are always included so don't let them act like they are being generous by throwing those things in. Steps, Ozonator, lights are things to barter for. I would post quotes on this forum and let others tell you their quotes or opinions of your quotes. This will help you know if you are getting close to the average deal.

I ended up with a Hot Spring and would be glad to expound upon why that choice was right for me. But, ultimately you will have to sit in a few and see what feels right to you. Good luck and let us know what you narrow it down to.

• 3 months later...

WARNING BE CAREFUL WHEN BUYING A SPA FROM WEST CHESTER SPAS IN WEST CHESTER PA.

We placed a deposit of $4200.00 on an LSX1050 Master Spa at a spa show at the Valley Forge Convention Center held by West Chester Spas. This was a new 2006 model with no extras added just the base unit new from the factory. The salesperson explained the many jets and features of the unit including the shoulder jet seats. It seamed like the perfect spa for us being we both have issues with our shoulder muscles since being involved in a serious auto accident several months ago. Although the salesman never asked us to get into the unit to see if we were comfortable in the shoulder jet seats, he did say that there was a male and a female sized shoulder jet seat, so we figured they should be fine.

1 week later at a home show we saw another dealer of the same products and decided to see if the prices were similar between dealers (this dealer was over 50 miles away from our home). After some brief conversation the first thing this sales rep asked us to do was to sit in the different spas to see how nice they felt and fit. We realized the shoulder jets of the LSX1050 on the male seat did not fit my shoulders as my shoulders would only fit if I slid my butt all they way out to the edge of the seat. I am 6’ 220 but a long upper torso. We did get a price from this dealer on the LSX1050 and found the price very close to one we already had.

I contacted West Chester Spas and asked to take a wet test of the unit I placed a deposit on to make sure it was the same wet as dry. The next day I did so and found that I did not fit under the shoulder jets. The following day I contacted the owner Larry Granger and told him the problem.

He is where the problem starts. I was told he would not refund my whole deposit. He said he had already paid a $1600.00 commission on the sale and I had to take a store credit for that amount. If I agreed to take a store credit for the $1600.00 then he would credit my credit card for the balance of the $4200.00 deposit. If I did not agree, he would not credit my credit card for anything and I would be on my own to the fight to get my deposit back.

I can’t believe that the owner would not be able to recover a sales commission from his employee since the spa was never delivered. I also can’t believe that he would offer a $1600.00 store credit if he could not recover the sales commission. If my math is correct this would cost him the $1600.00 commission plus the value of the goods I purchased unless he would be able to recover the sales commission but just didn’t want to lose a sale. If this all seams strange to you, it certainly is confusing to the credit card company that I am disputing the charge with. Do you think this is someone who is interested in customer satisfaction or just his bottom line, you decide!

We placed a deposit of $4200.00 on an LSX1050 Master Spa at a spa show at the Valley Forge Convention Center held by West Chester Spas. This was a new 2006 model with no extras added just the base unit new from the factory. The salesperson explained the many jets and features of the unit including the shoulder jet seats. It seamed like the perfect spa for us being we both have issues with our shoulder muscles since being involved in a serious auto accident several months ago. Although the salesman never asked us to get into the unit to see if we were comfortable in the shoulder jet seats, he did say that there was a male and a female sized shoulder jet seat, so we figured they should be fine.

1 week later at a home show we saw another dealer of the same products and decided to see if the prices were similar between dealers (this dealer was over 50 miles away from our home). After some brief conversation the first thing this sales rep asked us to do was to sit in the different spas to see how nice they felt and fit. We realized the shoulder jets of the LSX1050 on the male seat did not fit my shoulders as my shoulders would only fit if I slid my butt all they way out to the edge of the seat. I am 6’ 220 but a long upper torso. We did get a price from this dealer on the LSX1050 and found the price very close to one we already had.

I contacted West Chester Spas and asked to take a wet test of the unit I placed a deposit on to make sure it was the same wet as dry. The next day I did so and found that I did not fit under the shoulder jets. The following day I contacted the owner Larry Granger and told him the problem.

He is where the problem starts. I was told he would not refund my whole deposit. He said he had already paid a $1600.00 commission on the sale and I had to take a store credit for that amount. If I agreed to take a store credit for the $1600.00 then he would credit my credit card for the balance of the $4200.00 deposit. If I did not agree, he would not credit my credit card for anything and I would be on my own to the fight to get my deposit back.

I can’t believe that the owner would not be able to recover a sales commission from his employee since the spa was never delivered. I also can’t believe that he would offer a $1600.00 store credit if he could not recover the sales commission. If my math is correct this would cost him the $1600.00 commission plus the value of the goods I purchased unless he would be able to recover the sales commission but just didn’t want to lose a sale. If this all seams strange to you, it certainly is confusing to the credit card company that I am disputing the charge with. Do you think this is someone who is interested in customer satisfaction or just his bottom line, you decide!

Are you kidding!!!?? Sorry, I'm not surprised, you're dealing with master spa. I'm pretty sure commission structure isn't sitting at 25% either. Who in their right mind pays a commission on a DEPOSIT? Sorry to advocate what I'm about to say but SUE SUE SUE! This crap has to stop and if it means driving A$$holes like that out of business, so be it. He's trying to scam you into making the purchase, contact the better business bureau ASAP and take the chump down. Good luck!

Are you kidding!!!?? Sorry, I'm not surprised, you're dealing with master spa. I'm pretty sure commission structure isn't sitting at 25% either. Who in their right mind pays a commission on a DEPOSIT? Sorry to advocate what I'm about to say but SUE SUE SUE! This crap has to stop and if it means driving A$$holes like that out of business, so be it. He's trying to scam you into making the purchase, contact the better business bureau ASAP and take the chump down. Good luck!

Take out that semiautomatic weapon with a laser site and shoot to kill that no good salesman darn it.

We have had reports from customers in our area that purchased Master spas from a dealer calling themselves Mid West spas who did a parking lot sale in our area about three months ago. They represented themselves as Master spas Their invoices say Master Spas across the top. Now the customers cant get their spa and they cant find these guys. They have contacted Master Spas directly but they say they have nothing to do with it. No help a all! Some of them have even tracked down the sales people that worked the sale. Same response! If anyone can help with contact info on this company we can pass on to customers it would be appreciated.

Typically at a home show dealer pays a commission to an independent contractor, at the end of the show. A reputable independent would return the commission, so the dealer could return 100% of the deposit.

Read your contract carefully before you sue. Agreed, this has to stop! It does the industry no good.

Soreback purchased a spa from us at a spa show and he subsequently decided that he did not want to follow through with his purchase and he wanted his deposit back. The request to have his deposit refunded was made over a week after he purchased his spa. The front of contract above the sale total clearly states that “All Sales are Final – No Returns – Deposits are Not Refundable”. The back of the contract restates this. Soreback did not come into the store for over a week to wet test his spa and when he did he said nothing to the sales person about the spa not fitting him. It was after this wet test that he called to cancel, well after the 3 days that Pennsylvania allows by law to void a contract.

At the show we used independent sales contractors and as a part of their contract they are to be paid their commissions in full at the completion of the show on all sales that do not have contingencies written on the contract. Had Soreback said that he wanted to wet test the spa first we would have written this contingency on his contract and his deposit would have been refunded in full after his wet test when he decided that he didn’t like the spa.

We offered to refund his deposit, less commissions already paid, in the form of a store credit. Soreback declined this offer. We are trying to resolve this issue in a way that is fair to all parties.

Soreback has filed a claim with the BBB and we are working with BBB to resolve this claim. Should the BBB find that Soreback should receive his deposit back in full we will abide by that decision. Soreback paid his deposit with a credit card and he is disputing this charge, should the credit card company find that we are in the wrong we will refund his deposit.

Soreback purchased a spa from us at a spa show and he subsequently decided that he did not want to follow through with his purchase and he wanted his deposit back. The request to have his deposit refunded was made over a week after he purchased his spa. The front of contract above the sale total clearly states that “All Sales are Final – No Returns – Deposits are Not Refundable”. The back of the contract restates this. Soreback did not come into the store for over a week to wet test his spa and when he did he said nothing to the sales person about the spa not fitting him. It was after this wet test that he called to cancel, well after the 3 days that Pennsylvania allows by law to void a contract.

At the show we used independent sales contractors and as a part of their contract they are to be paid their commissions in full at the completion of the show on all sales that do not have contingencies written on the contract. Had Soreback said that he wanted to wet test the spa first we would have written this contingency on his contract and his deposit would have been refunded in full after his wet test when he decided that he didn’t like the spa.

We offered to refund his deposit, less commissions already paid, in the form of a store credit. Soreback declined this offer. We are trying to resolve this issue in a way that is fair to all parties.

Soreback has filed a claim with the BBB and we are working with BBB to resolve this claim. Should the BBB find that Soreback should receive his deposit back in full we will abide by that decision. Soreback paid his deposit with a credit card and he is disputing this charge, should the credit card company find that we are in the wrong we will refund his deposit.

Since the file is claimed already and your repuation is that much worse I guess you should just try to fight it. On the other hand you can be a nice guy and just make the guy happy and refund the money so that you are not hurt in the long run. Well good luck to you Soreback.

Even after your explanation, i'm sure glad i didn't do business with your company. When i found my spa, the dealer told me that a deposit was needed as the promotional offer (i did get a darn good deal) was valid during the show i saw him at and was from the manufacturer themselves (i've seen them in shows before, where representatives at the manufacturing facility confirmed these types of specials). I told him i was a bit leary about putting a deposit down before i actually went to the bank for the remainder of the money. This wasn't a problem as he told me if i couldn't get the money, i would be refunded my deposit in full (not with store credit) and even added this in writing to the agreement. There was no pressure for me to put the deposit down, however. I ended up buying my tub (an Arctic Spa by the way), had great help when it was delivered (at no extra cost) and even in partially helping me set it up. I've had continued dealer support and am very happy with my purchase. His name is golden around here now, as it is with others who have bought spas from him i've spoken too. Is your name really worth not refunding the deposit? I've already had several people interested in spas that are looking more towards arctic because of my good word about it. I wonder if you could say the same, even on potential customers.

Even after your explanation, i'm sure glad i didn't do business with your company. When i found my spa, the dealer told me that a deposit was needed as the promotional offer (i did get a darn good deal) was valid during the show i saw him at and was from the manufacturer themselves (i've seen them in shows before, where representatives at the manufacturing facility confirmed these types of specials). I told him i was a bit leary about putting a deposit down before i actually went to the bank for the remainder of the money. This wasn't a problem as he told me if i couldn't get the money, i would be refunded my deposit in full (not with store credit) and even added this in writing to the agreement. There was no pressure for me to put the deposit down, however. I ended up buying my tub (an Arctic Spa by the way), had great help when it was delivered (at no extra cost) and even in partially helping me set it up. I've had continued dealer support and am very happy with my purchase. His name is golden around here now, as it is with others who have bought spas from him i've spoken too. Is your name really worth not refunding the deposit? I've already had several people interested in spas that are looking more towards arctic because of my good word about it. I wonder if you could say the same, even on potential customers.

Artic is a wonderful tub. I love that manufacturer.

Artic is a wonderful tub. I love that manufacturer.

I think so, that's why I bought one :) Personal preference though, as i did also like bullfrog, coast (not west coast spas), and looked at coleman as well, just to name a few, ended up with the arctic simply because it best fit our needs and size.

When a customer puts a deposit on a spa from my company I always give a full refund on the deposit unless the spa gets delivered. This past year un-fortunately I have refunded a few deposits. I even write, "Deposit is Fully Refundable". Even if the contract doesn't have "Deposit is Fully Refundable" written on the contract I will still refund their money. When I have commission employees, they aren't paid until the spa is delivered!

Michael

www.HeavenlyTimes.com

[Congrats on your purchase of a artic spa. Which model did ya purchase?

We bought the cub designer model. I had wanted a larger (8') tub, but my current lot doesn't have all that much room, i really liked the frontier, but again ran into that size restraint i have. I could go with a larger tub, but lose much of my yard (I only have a 25 x 125' lot). Once my wife is out of school and in her feild of work (nursing) we're buying a much larger lot (country) and will definitely get another arctic, no doubt about that (love our dealer, it's not just about the make anymore). How about you? Are you enjoying it now that you have your water balanced? Nice, isn't it? Just wait 'till you get one of those calm, snowy nights (if you are in the north anywhere), when it's not too cold, the air is crisp, snow gently falling on you over your tub and everything is sooooooo quiet . . . . that's truly heaven! I can't wait until summer either, i've been landscaping my yard now that i have a tub (gives me more reason to go into my back yard other than to putter in the garage with my r.c. cars or restoring my truck . . . yeah, right, a reason to hide from the wife, lol). Putting in lockstone pathway to my tub (it's already on a 12 x 10' deck, only slightly raised . . 6" from ground), some rope lighting around the deck, a few solar noma lights, one of those fire pits . . . hmmm, maybe i better win the lottery before i think of more things to do, lol.

Hey kahuna Do me a favor. Please check often your rope lighting that you have. I'm a electrician[ 30yrs.] We have had two connector fires with that stuff. Were in the process of removing it from all businesses that we first installed it. Nasty stuff. If you continue to use it please put a little cheap inline fuse where your j-box is located depending on your lenght somewhere between a 3-6 amp fuse. Now onto the important things. I've wanted to do a feedback thread on how well you like your tub and one on your dealer. Any takers????? We absolutly love our artic frontier. When we first bought it I knew we were buying a upper end tub of high quality but I always had in the back of my mind who's going to help if we have problems. Well we did. Our dealer is second to none. They called me everyday to see how the water was doing.They explained what happened and how to cure it. Second I was overwhelmed by the support of other artic owners and dealers who answered questions or sent me a email about our water. I now know we invested in the RIGHT TUB with a great line of support!!!!!!! FYI Forcast is for mid 20's tonight with snow possible. Guess where I'll be?????? steve

Hey kahuna Do me a favor. Please check often your rope lighting that you have. I'm a electrician[ 30yrs.] We have had two connector fires with that stuff. Were in the process of removing it from all businesses that we first installed it. Nasty stuff. If you continue to use it please put a little cheap inline fuse where your j-box is located depending on your lenght somewhere between a 3-6 amp fuse. Now onto the important things. I've wanted to do a feedback thread on how well you like your tub and one on your dealer. Any takers????? We absolutly love our artic frontier. When we first bought it I knew we were buying a upper end tub of high quality but I always had in the back of my mind who's going to help if we have problems. Well we did. Our dealer is second to none. They called me everyday to see how the water was doing.They explained what happened and how to cure it. Second I was overwhelmed by the support of other artic owners and dealers who answered questions or sent me a email about our water. I now know we invested in the RIGHT TUB with a great line of support!!!!!!! FYI Forcast is for mid 20's tonight with snow possible. Guess where I'll be?????? steve

Artic rocks