Circulating pump issues

Roe

The circulating pump does not appear to be working on the used hot tub I just purchased. It is a hotsprings 1998 portable spa classic f. When I was looking at it closer, it looks like the grounding wire that is connected to the heater is not connected to the pump. Should the pump have a grounding wire attached to it? And does the pump make noise when running? I believe it may have an air lock or needs to be cleaned of debris. And will be doing that tomorrow. However, still need to know about grounding wire. 

Thank you,

Roe

When operating properly, the circ pump does not make a lot of noise.  You can usually feel it vibrating slightly.  Those pumps operate 24 hrs/day and are likely to fail after a few years, so they're always suspect.  You could try bleeding out the hoses in case there's trapped air before buying a new pump.  Also, that pump is usually connected through a fuse in the control box.  Occasionally the fuses will blow.  The fuse is in a screw2 in socket in the rear of the control box, so it is a challenge to get it out.

You are probably referring to a bonding wire.  The grounding wire is inside the wiring harness to the pump, the external solid copper wire is a bonding wire. 

Most pumps from the past 20 years or so have bonding wires for pumps and air blowers..  I've seen some modern Laing pumps (which is what HotSprings uses) that do not have connectors for bonding wire.

Dave

That should cause an overheat error.  Is the red light flashing? 

If the pump doesn't turn on, check for voltage where it's connected to the circuit board.  If you have voltage and the pump doesn't turn on, it means the pump is bad.  If there's no voltage, the problem may be elsewhere.

Dave