Strange behavior during extreme cold temps

Hello everyone, I've had my 2012 hut tub since new and have had no issues with it... until this winter season. When the outside temperature reaches approximately  -4F  (-20C) or below, two things happen:

1. Pump 2 engages and doesn't shut off. I have to manually turn it off. However, when I manually turn it off, it will turn back on when a) a set filtration cycle starts, or B)a call for heat occurs.
  2. The heater is not turning off when the desired inside temperature has been reached. For example, I keep my hot tub set at 101F, during a cold two week stretch we had the tub reach 114F because I left it for a couple days and didn’t manually turn off. 

If it's anywhere above approximately -4F  (-20C), the hot tub operates as expected. Calls for heat at the right times, goes through the filtration cycles correctly, etc. 

I tried changing the filtration cycles to see if that does anything... which it didn't. I've reset the system, still didn't do anything.

So I guess what I'm looking for is some suggestions on how to troubleshoot this. Don't know if it's a board issue, pressure switch, heater, etc. I've tried Googling this issue and I haven't found anything similar. Outside of moving to a warmer climate, please help!

Here's some additional info:

• 2012 Sundance 680 Series
  • Two pumps - Pump 1 and Pump 2 (no circulation pump)
  • Here is an excerpt from the manual that may be of interest:
    • Approximately two minutes after power is applied to the spa, the first filtration/heating cycle turns on pump 1. With two pump models, an automatic five minute “blow-out” function also activates pump 2 for a period of five minutes to flush all lines. Then, after five minutes, pump 2 turns off and pump 1 continues to operate for the duration of the cycle.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

When the temp reached 114, did you get that number from the control panel or from an independent thermometer?  In other words, is that temperature accurate?

Most Ssundance's uses a temp sensor that is mounted in the filter compartment.  Is that what you have?

If so, it could be that cold air is hitting the back of the sensor (the part that's not in the water) and affecting its measurements.  You could try stuffing a bit of fiberglass insulation into the cardboard or plastic tube the wires feed through, just to stop cold air from reaching the sensor. 

More likely, your temp sensor is bad.  They're not that expensive and easy to replace.  Make sure you buy the mounting o-ring as well.  It's a $.29 cent part, I don't know why they don't include it with a new sensor, but they don't.  You'll have to drain the tub down to install it. 

Dave