How much heat does your hot tub lose if not plugged in over night/24 hours?

Mbjah808

How much heat does your hot tub lose if not plugged in overnight or 24 hours? Curious because I can’t afford a 650$ dollar cover so just have plywood and blue pool cover now. I lost 5 degrees in 11 hours. I live in Hawaii so night time  temps were in high 60s.  

Mike 

Edited by Mbjah808
Spelling

5 degrees in 11 hours does not sound unreasonable.  Here in Arizona when my kids were little, we didn't use the heat and we left the cover off once or twice a week in the summer to cool the water down (water would heat up on its own from the Arizona heat).

To use in the heat mode, you NEED a real cover, or you're spending too much in heating costs too.  Get a $300 cover.

Mike -
If you can't afford a new cover, go to Home Depot and get a 4x8 sheet or two of 1-1/2 or 2 inch thick styrofoam board (about $20 apiece) - they sell it near the insulation. Cut it to match the outline of the top of your spa (butt two sheets together if you need to), then attach it to the bottom of your plywood (use a thick-bodied adhesive construction adhesive, or silicone rubber). Voila, a cheap cover with good insulation.