Spa Won't Shut Down

David M B

Have a Spa with Balboa Circuit Board Model VS510SZ-DCAH ( Note the Z on the end of the model .... can't find a manual for the topside panel with a Z on the end )

Anyway the problem is the Spa won't shut down properly after initial start-up. It goes through the start-up procedure correctly with the PR sequence etc. but instead of going into Standard Mode ( which from the literature, I gather is what it's supposed to do ) it goes into the ECON mode and keeps cycling ( the pump ? ) on and off with the J1 light on. It keeps doing this and even though pushing the J1 button shuts thing down momentarily, in a few minutes it starts cycling on and off again.

If you leave it run long enough the temp will get up to 100 degrees even thought the warm button is set to 98.

I have double checked the dip switches and they are all in the correct position as suggested by the operational manual.

Have to find a way to stop this problem ..... cycling on and off is going to cost a fortune on electricity not to mention wear and tear on pumps and motors.

I know how to physically switch the settings from Econ to Manual but at startup shouldn't this happen automatically.

Once things are running properly I can switch back to Econ to save electricity.

Also, DON'T understand why Sleep mode wouldn't be a better option if you only use the spa twice a day ??

I have set the filter duration for 8 hours ..... can't understand why default is 2 hours ???? Is there some way to set the filter cycle for once every 24 hours and only have it run for say 1/2 hour when it kicks in. DON'T see the need to filter the water so frequently.

Any ideas how to rectify these problems and set this up to run as economically as possibel

Like I said ..... preference is to only filter once a day and have the spa not run until I turn it on manually when we want to use it.

Thanks for suggestions

Triple wow, a dummy responds!

It retains it's memory. You have it Economy mode... it loses power, it will start up in the mode is was set for previously.

8 hours filtration time seems unusually high. If you're looking for a reason the pumps run all the time, you've found it. set at F8, that's 8 hours every 12 hours, or 16 hours a day. It will heat far past the set temp just from heat retention of the pump.

Sleep mode would be an unusual mode to leave it in if you're planning on using it, as it does not heat (via the heater) in sleep mode. . You would have to take it out of sleep mode, and start heating it hours before use. Most people just set it and forget it, as electricity is relatively cheap, maybe 15 bucks a month to keep at at the set temp in most climates.

My advice, leave it in Standard mode, set the filtration to F2, and you'll save money, time, and frustration.

From your description, it's working as it is designed to do.