Gfci Breaker Tripping...sometimes

KevinJK

The tub works normally for days\weeks. It never trips when not in use (cycles through heating and filter normally). Sometimes it will trip after my wife and I get into the tub and we turn pump 1 on high speed, but not always. Once it has tripped, I get out and reset the breaker. It will last about 3 seconds, then trip again. At this point no pumps or heater are turned on. I have even disconnected the pumps and heater and breaker still trips. It just keeps tripping 3 seconds after reset. Eventually everyone gets out of the tub and then I reset breaker. Tub now works fine with heater on and all pumps running at high speed.

Is the pressure switch causing the breaker to trip? I ask this as it only happens when we are in the tub which is increasing the pressure on the switch.

Any ideas?

Check the wiring at the gfci. If you can get more than a quarter turn on any terminal screw - that is the problem. When there is time involved with a GFCI trip nine times out of ten it's because of a loose wire/connection i.e. the breaker is tripping thermally.

Brandon@spokanespas.com

• 1 month later...

A buddy of mine had a similar problem. His was plugged into an outdoor GFI outlet. Sometimes it ran fine and sometimes it would trip the breaker. Turns out that the freezer in the garage was on the same circuit. If the freezer was running, the hot tub coming on was enough to trip it.

He had an electrician come out and move the hot tub to its own breaker. That solved his problem.