Above Ground Pool Repair - Need Help!

Hi! I am completely lost when it comes to what I need to do to repair my parents swimming pool or if it is even repairable and am hoping to get a bit of guidence.

Back story: My parents purchased the pool in the summer of 2000 and had it set up by the company they purchased it from. It was working great for many years then one year we had a new company come out and close it down for the winter and I believe they did something incorrect because the next summer when we went to open it up we had nothing but problems, could never get the chemicals correct (the water was green) and by the end of the summer frogs were literally living in it. After that my parents both went through some health problems and trying to get the pool straight wasn't a priority. Finally my mom ended up poking a hole in the bottom of the liner to let all the water out. Of course that caused the liner to shrivel up so it was removed shortly after. That was three years ago.

I now live next door to my parents and have a 6 year old son that I know would greatly enjoy the pool and would like to try to get it up and running for him. Of course at this point it has fallen into great disrepair. The outside walls of the pool as well as the top rail are still in good condition. However, in the absence of the liner grass, weeds and even a few small trees have taken over the inside of the pool. I am also sure that the sand that leveled out the bottom is mostly lacking. I am not sure of the condition of the pump, it worked fine when we last used the pool but that was 3-4 years ago. I have a cousin who has a landscaping business who said he could come out and remove all the grass, weeds, small trees, etc. From there I am guessing at a minimum sand would need to be brought in and leveled and a new liner installed and then be filled with water and see where we are with the pump working. Does that sound correct? Is there something else that would need to be done that I am not thinking about? And finally, is it at all possible that this is something my husband and I may could do ourselves or should we consult a professional to do it for us? We are trying to keep costs down as much as possible but at the same time if we are going to get the pool back in working order I really want it done correctly.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• 9 months later...