Guigui

Hi,

Because of the heavy snow we had in Canada (east cost) last winter my pool stairs were heavily damaged (no repair possible).

I asked a couple of contractors for an estimate and was quote around 20 000 CAD to do the job....no kidding every pool owners need to do the job apparently. Obviously i decided to do it myself.

I ordered the stairs after having asked all the shops around for a quote (same stairs priced from 3600 to 5900 CAD....again no kidding).

Good news is that I have just received my stairs and I was wondering if someone would know how I could change them while keeping my liner (that is 4 years old).

The stairs look like this with concrete alround (that I will cut during the install): step-entry-square.jpg

It's a harder job to do then you are thinking it will be. You need to cut out the concrete apron then the stairs are all concreted in underground. Then you are about to find that the stairs might not match up perfectly. 8' stairs are not alway 8' exactly. They could be off by a couple of inches. You won't be able to save the liner. You will never be able to line the stair strips back up with the original holes. Good luck on this venture. I'm guessing you got such high quotes because this job is more difficult then putting in a new pool. What's the exchange rate from Canadian to us? Those steps I would sell for about 2k. Add a liner, fixing deck and labor and you are talking a 15k job in the us so the prices you got aren't unrealistic depending on exchange rate. Are your stairs thermoplastic or fiberglass?

The stairs looks like thermoplastic to me but from the distributor website (http://highburypools.com/stairs.php) they say it's fiberglass. Mines are granit gray and they don't do themoplastic in this color.

I realise it's a pretty tough job...... I should receive my stairs next week and start removing concrete and digging in the coming days.

The stairs burst and behind the stairs it seems they didn't put much concrete but dirt....I was expecting at least crush stones. I expect concrete at the foot of stairs though. For the liner, if I don't manage to save it, I'll buy a new and install it myself. I should still save big bucks. Conversion rate is 1 USD -1,25 CAD as of now but the pool business sucks in Canada. There is a lot of things we could buy in the US cheaper including stuff coming from Canada but we cannot. We have to find a distributor in Canada that tends to me way more expensive.....

• 6 years later...
On 6/17/2015 at 9:40 AM, Guigui said:

Hi,

Because of the heavy snow we had in Canada (east cost) last winter my pool stairs were heavily damaged (no repair possible).

I asked a couple of contractors for an estimate and was quote around 20 000 CAD to do the job....no kidding every pool owners need to do the job apparently. Obviously i decided to do it myself.

I ordered the stairs after having asked all the shops around for a quote (same stairs priced from 3600 to 5900 CAD....again no kidding).

Good news is that I have just received my stairs and I was wondering if someone would know how I could change them while keeping my liner (that is 4 years old).

The stairs look like this with concrete alround (that I will cut during the install): http://gossmanpools.com/images/options-accessories/step-entry-square.jpg