No Pumps/jets, Just Soft Hum - California Cooperage 105

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but have been a long time Hot Tub owner. My current tub is a Coleman California Cooperage 105 (model: 54 105 Midnight) that I have had for about 10 years. Other than needing to replace some of the jet nozzles over the years, this tub has worked great until about a week ago.

I am now experiencing an issue with the pumps/jets. Presently when I try to cycle the jets on I hear a soft hum but no change in the water flow. Also, the tub doesn't cycle to keep the water warm or filtered. If I turn off the breaker for a few minutes and then turn it back on, the tub will enter priming mode and then the pumps/jets will work normally - at least for a few hours. Once the pumps are off for a bit I am stuck back at the humming sound stage. Since the pumps/jets do work after power cycling, I am guessing that the pumps are not the issue. Based on this assumption, I believe I am looking at a snag with a board that controls the pumps but could be way off-base.

I am a fairly handy individual and do a vast majority of my own home improvement and repair projects including basic plumbing, electrical and appliance repair. Despite this, I don't know enough about this system to be sure am making a sensible guess and even if I am what part(s) I should be looking at. I would really hate to start throwing parts at the tub without a little advice from folks that know more than I do. If I can provide any additional info to help diagnose this issue do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks in advance for all thoughts and help.

Chris

One new development. I have noticed that if left with power, but not doing anything the tub will cycle a couple times a day - as I am used to in order to filter and/or heat the water. If I press the jets button when this cycling is occurring it will go to full power. If I wait until this cycle ends and press the button I get the humming sound again. Not sure what to make of this, but thought it may point the issue in one direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case someone else checks this thread, I wanted to pass along what seems to be the solution. A few days after my last post the tub stopped cycling completely - even if I flipped the breaker. There had been no error codes on the display previously, but now I saw a BR code which notes that there is not water in the heater. The tub was staying hot, but would no longer cycle at all. I removed the filter, power cycled the tub at the breaker and then everything was working fine. The filter has no obvious flaws or build-up and it has been cleaned with power washer and filter cleaner a couple times a year, but obviously there was something wrong with it. I have not yet replaced the filter, but suspect a new filter will keep things working fine.

Depending on how much it's been power washed, and the degree of pressure, it's possibly you degraded the fabric to the point it's clogging itself...but would still "look" fine

Thanks for the info. I realize I was not clear. The pressure washer is actually a small attachment on a hose that restricts the flow of water to give it a bit more 'umph.'. I got it from a spa store and it is intended just for the purpose of cleaning the filter. It is not a power washer type of device with its own pump.

The filter is a bit old though and could be suffering from age degradation. We don't usually use the spa much in the summer months, so I won't know for sure if a new filter does the trick for a couple months, but I am pretty sure it will.