Hot Tub Kicks Off Gfi Breaker Immediatly

Hello all,

I purchased a used Marquis 3 man hit tub (the small triangle shaped one) that was working when I bought it. It sat in my yard for about 6 monthes and now I have hooked it up. Ran 220 from main breaker panel to a "hot tub" GFI box outside. Ran a 4 wire to the tub and connected the 2 hot, neutral and ground to tub. When I turn on the GFI breaker it immediately trips. If I disconnect the hot tub, the GFI stays on. If I disconnect everything from the hot tubs main board (heater, pump, ozanator, etc) the breaker still trips immediately. I had a repairman out and he replaced the mainboard and still the GFI trips immediately with nothing connected to the main board except power. It feels like it must be something with the way the electricity is connected of a bad GFI...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I have pictures in hopes someone can point me in the right directions however I don't see a way to attach them. I will work on that of I can email them..

Thanks a lot.

Todd

• 5 months later...

DO NO DISCONNECT THE GROUND! This is a safety aspect and without could possibly cause DEATH. If current is leaking through to the ground, causing the GFCI to trip, CONGRADULATIONS! The GFCI is doing it's job properly, and has possibly just saved your, or your family's lives.