Hotel Hot Tub With Excessive Foaming

Hi! First post on this forum.

I'm the assistant manager of a Days Inn hotel and we are in need of some assistance. My maintenance guy and I have tried multiple different things and nothing is helping.

We have a 700 gallon hot tub that always has a TON of foam in it. We have tried multiple different brands of defoamers and the only time it isn't incredibly foamy is right after we do a 100% water change, which we do approximately every 60 days. We ask that guests shower before entering the pool to remove any lotions, soaps or shampoos from their hair and skin, but this hasn't seemed to help.

Our chlorine and pH readings are within acceptable limits per our county inspector. We have asked her about the excessive foaming and she just shrugged and said "It's just something your hot tub does, apparently." This, however, is not an acceptable answer for our guests.

I am attaching pictures of the hot tub as it is running, so you can see how ridiculous the foaming is.

This is after just two or three minutes of the jets being turned on:

photo_zps074681f7.jpg

photo_zps3ebbe800.jpg

This is after about eight or nine minutes:

photo_zps13fdfbaa.jpg

photo_zpsaa07cd02.jpg

After about 15 minutes:

photo_zps5a54237f.jpg

photo_zpsac00dbf8.jpg

Close up of the bubbles/foam:

photo_zps7512c256.jpg

We are in the process of doing our 100% water change on the hot tub right now, so I will post pics of it as soon as we get it refilled, as well, for a comparison.

Two things. One would be to do a treatment with Ahh-Some to remove any biofilm or greases in piping and other areas of the tub. Then after filling again, make sure to raise the Calcium Hardness level to 120-150 ppm as that will help reduce foaming (harder water foams less), but make sure to control the pH so that it doesn't get too high.

Also note that the standard Water Replacement Interval (WRI) formula is (1/3) x (Spa Size in Gallons) / (# of Persons per Day)

So with a 700 gallon spa and changing water every 60 days this implies a bather load of only 60 = (1/3) x 700 / (# of Persons per Day) so around 4 people per day. Is that spa usage really that low? If not, then you should be changing your water more frequently anyway.

My maintenance guy checked the chemistry today, as it already has started foaming again, less than 24 hours after we completely changed out the water.

Total Alkalinity: 110ppm

Calcium Hardness: 90ppm

Cyanuric Acid: 35ppm

We aren't a very busy hotel, to be honest. Weekends are usually busier, as we are usually sold out this time of year (we are a 55-room hotel), but there are days during the week that the hot tub is lucky to see one person in an entire day (it is open from 9am to 10pm).

I will definitely talk to my owner about using the Ahh-Some. And I just talked to my maintenance guy and we are going to start changing the water out once a month (since it doesn't take that long at all) from here on out.

How would you suggest raising the calcium hardness? I'm surprised it is as low as it is, because we have naturally hard water in our area.

just a quick observation from my own experience - Hotel spas are expecially vulnerable to foaming because guests often don't shower and their bathing suits probably have soap residue -- the problem is just tougher to deal with in a public setting.

not to interrupt the fine advice from Chem Geek -- but Calcium hardness is easily raised with the addition of dry Calcium Chloride such as in the below example.

http://www.intheswim.com/p/calcium-hardness-increaser

FYI I have personal direct experience with Ahh-Some myself, having completed a rather comprehensive set of controlled experiments. nothing else I know of is capable of removing what this stuff can remove; I highly recommend it

• 2 weeks later...

I got sudden foaming after using the non-splash form of chlorine bleach to sanitize. I scooped out the foam, added some water, made sure I do not use the emulsified bleach again and it did not reoccur. I think the soap residue may be part of it. There is no control over the cleaning products people use. Too bad you were not able to use the Ahhsome before doing the water change. You will definitely be amazed at the crud that comes out.